Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Peru 2016 - Day 8 - Tourist Day and flight home.


  Hola everyone.
It's Tuesday Morning here in Peru and it's a beautiful sunny day. 
I'm sitting on the balcony of Erin and Pepe's apartment 
 and feeling pretty tired, but pretty good.
I decided not to post last night in order to keep the work of Thomas and Hannah to a minimum.  : )
I can't promise I won't have any spelling errors to day however. Still suffering from Learning Opportunity hang over.  : )
They will have lots of work to do making my blog spelling error free, but I think they are up to the challenge, right? 

The group is in the air now and will be landing soon in Toronto D.V.


I miss them all already. 
Everyone in the group did a fantastic job.    

I just took a quick look at the news, and see that the world is still convulsing under the weight of terrorist attacks.  We have been out of the news loop for some time now.   



So, on with the blog. 
We awoke to be in our meeting room for 8:00 am. 
I was pretty tired already with the consecutive nights of short sleeps, but I was energized because this was tourist day.  
Many people were up already and some were playing euchre again.  


Daniel (sorry about that Sheldon) took time to read the blog this morning.  


Some more people looking at the blog and Kayla typing up her reflections for the week. 
Some of them will be posted at the end of this post, and the rest of them will come in about a week, so check back here just after Easter if  you want to know how each person was impacted by this week.  



And Michelle doing her journal or devotions, or both.  


Our soccer jerseys arrived and were handed out. 
Sam's shirt (I think it is Sam's) had a minor spelling error which we hope to correct before we leave on Wednesday evening. (Well that didn't happen.  Sorry Sam) 


The group slowly gathers in the room. 


And I start to read out the comments again. 


Hugs for Sheldon this time.  





And Ryan 
Oh, how he LOVES to receive hugs. 
He mentioned to us that he felt that the girls hugged him just to torment him. 
I smiled and reminded him that he has a group of females hugging him all at once.  That's something that guys would LOVE to have happen and he should receive that as a gift. : ) 

I think Ryan is in there somewhere.  : ) 


More items for our group to donate to another orphanage that Erin and Pepe sponsor. 
Also, cloths from us to donate to Gamaliel and another orphanage.  All will be put to good use. 

As we met for our final group gathering, I wanted to share with the group my high, low, God at work and what I've learned, because I have not been doing the video blogs so I can get this blog to you in a somewhat sanely and timely manner.  

So, my HIGH for the week was seeing God at work in each person on this team.  I know they may not even know what that means for them yet, but I've seen glimpses of it already.  The Women's Bible study has been a joy to watch grow, and hopefully be sustainable after we leave.  Steps have been put into place to make sure that happens. 

My LOW for the week is the same for every trip. 
In giving all of you, and the team, the gift of this blog, and I do think it is a worthwhile thing to do, I don't get the chance to just socialize and yes, dare I admit it, play PIGS, with the group so I don't get to deepen the relationships as much as I would like. 
I do still try when I can, but that is sometimes a low for me.  

SEEING GOD AT WORK, I actually pointed out a few people and I hope they don't mind if I just tell you what I told the group. 

RYAN, a wonderful person who did an AMAZING job at the drama's, but who I know hated every minute of it because he struggles with crowds and people etc.  Maybe even with his sense of who he is as a person.  Well I reminded Ryan that he has many gifts and to take this week and unpack the gift of being able to see how great a person he really is.  And he is.  

KATRINA, my daughter who wasn't quite sure what to expect from this trip.  Who said to us many times that she's not good with younger kids.  
Who, as you saw in many pictures, actually did AWESOME with the kids and grew in many ways.  I am super proud of you Katrina.  It did't rain in Pachacutec for me, but it did rain in Lima that morning.  I had to pause for a couple of minutes to compose myself so I could continue.  I must be really tired or something.  : ) 

ZOE and LEAH.  It has be fun to watch you two interact with the kids and Zoe, you sharing your testimony was amazing.  Thanks for that.  You both did an AWESOME job with the face painting too.  

ANDREW, a man I wish I could see way more than I do. Fun on the outside, sensitive and caring on the inside. A man of deep convictions and a man who just drinks in these trips.  Watching you this week inspired me as I saw God at work in you. 

PETER, my most loyal critic and supporter of these Learning Opportunities. Another man who struggles with people, yet rose to the challenge and befriended one or two of our team in ways that were meaningful and beautiful. Thanks for coming along to see what these trips are all about, but in the process being changed by God as well.  

WHAT I LEARNED this week is, once again, that GOD is in control, not me.  That Learning Opportunities are not perfect, never will be perfect, but we continue to strive to make this one as sustainable and relational and non dependent as possible for both churches, and that no matter the critic, and there always are a few, that this L.O. changes hearts and lives in both Countries.  





Then it was time for breakfast. Our last in Lima.  





Hey Lucy. 
Deer in the headlight look again? 


And Kayla's wonderful smile. 


We presented gifts to the translators. 


Miriam is back to her old self again, drinking her beloved coffee.  


Group #2.  : )  

Presentation of gifts to the cooks and translators.  

They loved the gifts they received. 


And we loved and appreciated their work for us and the gift that that was to us.  

Gigi, happy with her gifts. 
And she's looking quite nice today.  
Many in the group just loved what she was wearing.  


Christian about to look at what he received. 

This painting was on the wall of the dining hall.  
Joycegina wanted me to take a picture of this.  

After breakfast we packed and finished off our final video blogs and then it was time for a group picture. 

Gigi took the picture for us. 


Back to our Air Canada brownie.  
Seems it's doing very well in the Peruvian heat. 
LEAH, finally parted with it after I suggest it would NOT be a good idea to eat.  


Our luggage slowly being packed and set out. 


A group shot.  


And a photo bomb by Gigi. 
Andrew, I see you have been mentoring her. : ) 


The flip side.  



Our Interpreters. A GREAT godly group of people.  


Oh, and Joycegina wants in too I see.   : ) 




Next it was time to board the bus and on to the cross on the hill, which is something  new for us. 


The bus is always a great place to fellowship and catch up. 
Even though some can think it annoying, without that 1.5 hour trip we would not be building the relationships we do. 


Pedro. 
As handsome as ever. 

On our way to the cross. 
Some nice cliffs by the ocean.  


Going up the mountain. 
Some nice turns.  
You wonder who's going to be coming around the bend.  




A nice family shot at the cross location. 


Pastor Craig, seeking sermon illustrations and inspiration as he looks out over Lima.  


Others just having fun.  



Nice shot.  

The Cross

And statue.  


Daniel sleeping standing up and being held up by Christian and Israel.  : ) 


At the cross we gathered at the chapel. 


And held our closing devotions.  


 Our gift has been sitting in our meeting room this whole week as a reminder that this trip is a gift from God. 
For the most part, people did not try to check what was inside it.  For the most part.  : ) 
I handed the box out and it was opened.  


And everyone was able to share a KitKat each.  


I reminded people that the gift of this experience is not something to be put on the shelf and ignored, but something to be opened, enjoyed, as we did the chocolate, and shared with others, as I shared the chocolate with them. 
It is in the sharing that we experience growth in ourselves and with others who hear our stories.  

My prayer is that everyone here will do that.  Whether you are an introvert, or extrovert, whether you received many gifts or just one gift, and even if you are wondering if you received any gift at all. 

The answer is you all did, but you might need others in this group to help you unwrap yours and move forward with it. 





Then it was time for some pictures, some of which you saw above.  











Peter wanted his face in the picture, and yes, knew the camera would focus on him, not those in the background.

A nice friendship has formed between Peter and Lauren. 
Nice to watch as it has grown.  

And these two will be friends for life I think. 

hmmmm, the bus emergency break????


After the visit to the cross it was time for lunch.  



I remember this cobble stone road from the last time.  

Off the bus and to the mall 




Some instructions and time to meet back and then off they went. 


A bunch of us hung out at the same restaurant as last year. 
World famous chef cooks here. And the food was good.  


We ordered our beverages.  


Salud = bless you, or health, or cheers.  


Pepe ordered this for me.
It was delicious.    


Joycegina had Chinese 

Peter ordered sea food.  

He bit into a hot pepper and must have done that in an incorrect way because he sure paid for it. Tears and spasms.  didn't think that could happen.  



Others ate at other places. 
Craig enjoying his lunch. 
I see Colin is following my food picture lead. 
AWESOME : ) 


A view from the mall.  


Para gliding.  
NOT something I would do. 


Lunch soon ended and back on the bus we went. 


We travelled downtown to the square and some took in the catacombs and others just rested. 
Our translators relaxing here. 
It's a tiring week for them as well. 


Dianne and I taking some time to chat about life.  


oops, backtracking to getting on the bus after lunch.  
Steve and Pepe chatting it up.  


Everyone ON THE BUS!!!! 


Pepe can sleep pretty much anywhere. 


The nice architecture of downtown.  

The group waiting in the shade, because the sun was hot.  


And then there's Dianne, who just LOVES the heat. 
Notice my shadow bottom right. 
Not sure why I said that.  : ) 


Lucy trying to get the pigeons to fly. 

There are lots of sellers of trinkets and artwork in the square.  We met this guy.  He almost had me fooled that he had been to Canada.  


Lucy must have been successful.  

Now this is talent. 
Cynthia isn't even looking. 
This should be an Olympic sport.  


Gigi and Peter catching up.  
Lots to ponder about these L.O. for Peter.  : )

The cathedral = big. 
Katrina = not so. 


Then it was on the bus again and off the the market to get any souvenirs 
The ride should normally take about 1 hour, but Lima traffic has gotten unbearable and we took 2 long hours to get there. 
If we come back again, note to self....no going downtown. 


Crazy to watch. 
Interesting to watch. 
Frustrating to be in the middle of.  


After the market, it was time for dinner. 
A 5 minute ride.  : )


We were the only ones in the upper floor.  

Gathered.  


And time to thank Erin and Pep for their service to us, their country, the churches they support and to God.  



Hey Leah and Craig.  Your food is coming.  Chilax.  : )  


Chicken and fries. 
Never tasted so good.  :)  


Oh yes.....ANDREW AGAIN!!!! 

Everyone enjoying their meal. 


Gigi wanted a picture of herself and the Pastors.  

Milling about after the meal and saying good bye to the translators, and George, Dianne, Brittany, Brenda, and Steven.  They will be staying a couple of extra days to see Machu Picchu (? Spelling). 


We made MUCH better time to the airport, arriving at 11 pm which was our scheduled time.  
Time to place the purchased items in the checked luggage. 


And get a change of cloths if any wanted to change into when in the real secure area.  : ) 


Everyone looked pretty tired, but Lucy....not.  
I love her when she's perky like this.  

In the airport and checking in.  
Andrea guarding stuff.  
She wasn't feeling too well, so I hope she doesn't get sick on the plane.  


Poncho ladies. 


Hey Craig. You are looking so bright and happy at the moment. 
Colin is telling me ENOUGH with the pictures already.  : ) 


Andrea had to remove her thermometers  from her luggage, but I think there was a misunderstanding there.  I'll be taking them home I think. 
Being overtired can confuse the mind.  : ) 


Almost ready to leave.  

Time to say goodbye.  : (  
I will miss them, but also glad to be free of the responsibility. : ) 
Colin will lead them through the maze of customs.  

After everyone was in the line for customs, Pepe and I went to his home. 
Joycegina and Katrina were dropped off after supper with Erin.
  
We sipped the BEST beer I've had in a long time, and I selected and placed the pictures on the blog, to be ready to write about in the morning.  
Went to bed at 2 a.m.

It's 8:30 am now, and as I promised to some of you, here are the pictures of Erin and Pepe's home. 



And also of Teya



She's SOOOOOO CUTE!  


A view from the balcony.  




Teya getting acquainted with our luggage.  A real inquisitive kid.   

The hallway.  


Living room / dining room.  


Kitchen.   

Looking down from the balcony.   

Teya's room.   


And me blogging.   


Their wedding photo's.  


The cardboard box toy.  I bet that is more fun than the toy that was inside it.   

So, that ends the blog entry for this time.
I'll be posting our two days here, which will include our visit to our compassion children tomorrow and visit with Pastor Sergio today, so if you want to check back just after Easter that post will be there too. 
Below will be some comments from some of our group. 
I hope you enjoy them. 

Before leaving you all, let me just say that preparing each day's entries has been enjoyable, a LABOUR of love : ), and fun to do.
  
I hope you enjoyed them, and were able to get a small taste of what we experience here in real time. 
However, if you want to learn and grow in faith and life, consider going on a L.O. at some point.  Not a Mission Trip, because those are different.  We can talk about the difference some time if you like.  : ) 
I'll have Peter by my side as we do.  : ) 

So, bless you all for reading, and for commenting and for sharing this time with us.  Until next week......

From Craig H:
I’ve always loved the Biblical image of all tribes and tongues and nations being gathered together into one people in Christ.  So one of the richest aspects of the trip for me was arriving in a remote village, very unlike any place I’ve ever lived (culturally, economically, and geographically), among a people I’ve never met, and being welcomed as a member of the family.  The level at which brothers and sisters in Christ are immediately able to connect is deeply profound, and to now think of Pachacutec as a city in which I have family members is tremendously precious to me.  The other aspect of the trip that has been the most influential and will likely inspire the most reflection (and further reading) in the months and years ahead has to do with understanding how we as wealthy Christians actually help on trips such as these.  The philosophy that Pepe and Erin are working with is both simpler and more complex than what I often think of as ‘helping the poor.’  It’s simpler in that it puts a much deeper emphasis on simply ministering through our presence (as opposed to being overwhelmed by every need and how to meet it).  It’s more complex in that it involves investing much more deeply and longer term.  I’m really taken in by the idea of adding value primarily through maintaining our relationship with Gamaliel, as opposed to putting all the focus on what financial and physical benefits we can offer.  May God use us to strengthen our family at Gamaliel; may God use Gamaliel to continue bringing radical newness to Patchacutec.

Ella the T-Rex
This was my first time coming on this trip, and I loved it. It affected me in many ways. It made me realize that people do live in shacks, that poverty is much more than just something on the news. I have also realized that I don’t need a nice iPod, or 3 star restaurant food to be content. All I need is Jesus, and this trip has showed me that in so many ways. The people we visited, the kids at VBS, Pastor Sergio. My faith has been strengthened, as well as my relationship with God.

Annette B
Meeting 23 women from Pachacutac during this 2016 trip has been a great inspiration.  Gaining knowledge of who belonged to who in the families at Gamiliel church has given me much joy.  Watching 4 of my daughters interact and engage throughout the week has been a deep blessing.  My only regret is that previous to the trip I was nervous and uncertain about going on this trip.  See you Pachacutac in 2 years.

Ryan P
I have not been changed/ affected much by this but it was more than I thought. My view of extreme poverty has been changed by how I saw it as one small meal a day one pair of rages to where it is somewhat manageable (though it may have been the happiness in the children’s faces as they played). Also I have seen the hope and joy that Christianity/ Jesus can give to the people. But that is basically it.

Zoe H
The theme at the 2015 All Ontario Youth Convention was Imago Dei or made in the image of God. I had spent a lot of time thinking about how true this statement is. Everything is different than what it is like in Ottawa. However, it is still made in the image of God. When people think of this statement they often think of people, people are made in the image of God. When I look at this statement, I realize that it is not only the people but the community, the country, the world.

Leah M
During my trip to Pachacutec so far (or Peru for all you people unable to pronounce that), my perspective on a less fortunate culture has changed drastically. Before this trip, I had always thought of places similar to Pachacutec as a society that we needed to change, and that their ways were not the right way to do things. On my trip to Peru, I have realized that we are not here to try and change their ways, but rather try to find ways to change my perspective. I have always heard people express how fortunate of a country Canada truly is, and how blessed we are to have clean water, good food and what a luxury electronics are. I think the biggest luxury we have back home that surpasses the rest is love from family and friends. I have learned a lot about myself and Peru on this trip.

Brittany T
As I sit writing this, I can hear the interactions of our entire group (and it is NOT quiet). What it is, however, is community. No one has stuck solely with their original group or church family, and everyone has built new relationships as a result of this trip. This is the main takeaway for me from this trip, and it’s what Pepe emphasized to us on our second night: it’s all about building long-term relationships. I may get caught up in my work and day-to-day life like any Type A, but I have really learned the value of slowing down and building relationships with my brothers and sisters in Christ. Although our week is not done as of yet, I believe this was the gift Ron introduced to us on Day 1. These relationships, and those we’ve built in Pachacutec, are my special takeaway from this trip.

Brenda W
This is my 4th trip and I choose to 100% immerse myself into it when I am here. I force myself out of my comfort zone and remind myself that there is nothing that will happen to me that God and I cannot handle together. Before visiting Maricela and her family who had left the church, I was in tears… really, really afraid! Then I remembered something I had written down and given to each of my team members that morning, ‘ let your faith be stronger than your fear’. In this place it is easy to let God stretch you, just let him! Be His instrument! Amen.

Colin V
This is my 6th trip to Pachacutec and a few trips ago I had questioned if I should continue coming on these trips. I have been encouraged by some other adults to keep coming as I interact well with everyone and especially the youth.  This year I was able to see (I have seen him every trip so far) my friend Fernando, who is now married (last trip he was married) and with a son. Seeing how God has blessed him with a family has been amazing. I am praying for him and knowing that he is here excited to see me and praying for me is amazing. I hope to keep building relationships with the members of Gamiliel church here in Pachecutec and hope that God will bless me with many more opportunities to visit and encourage my brothers and sisters here.

Daniel B
This is my first trip to Peru. And being my first trip I had a lot of high expectations and I can honestly say that all of those expectations were filled. During my time in Peru I was able to interact with many very special individuals. On day two and three of VBS is was able to play with one boy named Jean-Pierre, Unfortunately Jean-Pierre became sick and was not able to attend the last two days of VBS. In those last two days I realized that it was not just the kids who wanted to play with us we also wanted to play with them. All in all it was a great trip and I can’t wait to go again in two years.

Andrea N
Knowing my duty for the trip to be the medic gave me the job I love to do and although I was busy in that role thankfully it was not too disastrous.  Reflections on the trip range from dark places to shadows to full sun.  Dark places: It is hard to be lonely in a crowd but that is often how it felt as I was not connected by family or bff’s while here and we did not have loads of time to hang out and have coffee – rather we were very busy as it should be.   Shadows: As the week walked on I became more aware of what my true called for this mission trip was but still had to suss out the particularities. With so many people trying so hard to connect with Gamiliel and the people of Pachacutec it seemed we only had small points of connection before we had to move on to the next connection attempt – BUT we had those moments and I treasure them.  Full Sun: I so appreciate Pastor Craig’s message on our last day with our Friends from Gamiliel – rather should I say our brothers and sisters- our Peruvian family. It highlighted the reason we were there and why we’d go back and see them again.  And maybe that is the real reason this trip started off dark but finished in the sun – not knowing that I could allow myself to dream of a future visit- yet already wanting to develop solid relationship connections and reasons to return.  God has been clear with his reason why I was on this trip and a hope for future visits to share, to learn and connect.  That’s full SUN.  

Samantha B
This was my second trip to Peru, as I went two years ago. Two years ago I went with two of my best friends and my family, and it was a great trip that I thoroughly enjoyed. This year I went with three of my sisters and my mom, but not my two best friends. Before the trip I wasn’t actually as excited as I had expected to be. I thought that going without my friends wouldn’t be a good idea and I wouldn’t have anybody to hang out with. When I got here and we started the week though I discovered that this was definitely not the case. I was surrounded by amazing people all week, but I never had to be with anybody. I could always do what I wanted to do rather than what my friends wanted to do, and

whatever I did wherever I did it I was constantly surrounded by friends. My expectations for this trip were way off and I couldn’t be happier.


Miriam G
This trip was hard.  It was hard to see the incredible poverty up close and personal.  It was hard to learn that if a family doesn’t have $12 that a woman gives birth at home and the morbidity and mortality of the babies that results.  It was hard to meet a gentleman on crutches badly injured who worked his whole life in a mine and now has no pension – no money.  It was hard to watch children looking after children and knowing some families would not have a home soon or food because there was no gainful employment.  It was hard to understand that having water for 2 hours a day was a miracle for the local people.  The sand, heat and sickness were hard.  But despite all of this misery there was an unbelievably strong faith and trust in God by the local people that was truly incredible.  So humbling and … so hard to comprehend; so extraordinary.  And so much joy in the children’s laughter and the smiles of their parents.  Indeed …. this trip was hard on purpose.  God is with us in life no matter what.  He was here in our mission trip team, in our small groups – from Canada and locally, and with BFCRC, in all our interactions and all relationships.  Pastor Rick is right – we spend a lot of time in the muck and the mire of life.  And he is so right that we need to Praise God because he takes us up to the balcony to see the beauty and the hope right there within the muck and the mire … so that we may be inspired to continue.  





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Pastor Ron for the amazing entries for the week. It was great to wake up and see the group on their mission in photos. Danike is ready to go and backpack across that country now and help people who need it! What a great experience it must be.
As tired as I'm sure you are, you have given us all this gift of photographs day after day. I thank you for that. And for taking Danike under your wing and showing her a different side of life. Safe travels back - enjoy your stay.
Kylie

Unknown said...

Wonderful to read all of your reactions to your trip so far. I look forward to chat with you and find out more about your experience.