Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Peru 2016 - Day 2 - Introduction to Gamaliel Church - Part 1


Ok, 
So right into today's events. 
I was up at 8 a.m. and got the pictures from our travel day on to the blog, and then ran out of time, so the actual post had to wait till tonight. 
At 9 am we gathered in our large room for our opening devotional time.  


We sit in a circle and relax on comfortable plastic chairs...really. : )


Katrina and Ella didn't get much sleep. 
It's showing. : )




Joycegina and Colin are taking most of the pictures this time around.  Thanks to you both for doing this. 


Our group getting assembled.  


I was able to share some initial comments from people posting back to us from my first post.  : ) 
Seems only Cornwall people want to post....

Where are all our Calvin and Barrhaven comments.....!!!!!

I opened the week by pointing out that this week is a "gift" for all those present in Peru.  
All of us are here in Peru for a reason. 
God ordained and God arranged. 
I don't even think some of us know why we are actually here, but God does. 

And what he's given to all of us is a gift of being able to participate, and experience a Learning Opportunity in our hearts and lives. 
My hope is that each person here will think about what exactly is that gift that God has / will give to each of them, and unwrap and use that gift after we return home. 
I purchased a gift box and have placed a surprise inside, which will be shared at the end of the week.  



A view from my window on to the school. 

Our courtyard.  


My room. 
I'm in a room on my own so I don't disturb people when I go to bed, and I don't bother people with my snoring.....though I DID hear some pretty good snoring go on last night. 


People gathering in the early morning sun to get ready to face the day...already pretty tired. 
And today was going to be HOT. 


I'm catching up on the comments and finishing off some blog stuff.  


Our 7 interpreters this year.
All are new to us, except for Gigi, on the left and Cynthia beside her.  


Pepe, are you giving me the order to sit down???
Hey there Craig...you look pretty chipper.  : ) 


Gigi, standing, had each interpreter introduce themselves to us. 



Israel


Cynthia



Christian




Mila



Judith





Debora


Our cooks for the week as well.  
Well, not the newborn for sure.  : ) 


Colin still trying to get rid of his candy stash. 
In the morning....really Colin.  


Daniel and Sam, you two fighting? : )


Our peanut butter mountain wasn't much of a mountain this year.
GERRY....I MISS YOU!!!!  : ) 


But we did/do have lots of peanut butter to use and donate for the end of the week.  


More braiding of the hair.  
Is that Katrina?????


LOTS of peanut butter. 


We will use them for our lunches during the week. 

OK, so a couple of pictures are out of order here too. 
Here's Pastor Craig working hard at attempting to dry dishes. You'd think he'd done this before.  


Kayla working hard as well. 
We have a group do dishes after each meal.  


We are back to our group gathering for morning devotions again. 


We all look so awake. : ) 







Each morning we have coffee, and tea, and various bread items with peanut butter and Nutella and bananas and a yogurt drink of some kind.  


Peter seems to approve.  : ) 


Some kitchen shots. 



Miriam enjoying a MUCH NEEDED coffee. : )  Her eyes stopped glazing over as she drank.  Amazing to watch.  :) 


Hey Gigi.  


Andrew put all the Spanish vocab on his water bottle.  


Oh, back to the dishes crew. 


Hey there again Kayla.  


And Pastor Craig.  


Whoah.....close up.  


Ryan pitching in. 


And Joycegina too.  


Pastor Craig bugging Lauren.
Well, he bugged pretty much everyone helping out with dishes I think.  


After breakfast it was off to the bus to head to pachacutec.  


While waiting for the gate to be unlocked I found Gigi with her cute umbrella.  Thought I'd get some shade as well. 
She's short.  : ) 


Others getting out of the sun. 
It was a hot sun. 
I told everyone to put on sunscreen, and I did as well, but I still got a burnt neck. 
Doesn't hurt, but I need to watch it so it doesn't become more burnt.  


Loading lunch on the bus.  


as well as ourselves. 
It was hot on the bus. 
Not much breeze and very humid.  


A view out the front window. 


And on the bus.  
Pretty full. 


Since Joycegina had not experienced this trip yet, she took some pictures of things she wanted to capture.  They are below without comment because they speak for themselves. 






























OK,  part 1 complete. 
Keep reading in Part 2

4 comments:

Julia Kuipers said...

Ok so first things first, no peanut butter tower????
Second, dad are you talking or actually doing the dishes, don't tell me look who's talking because I did mine last night:)
I have to say that I always loved the first day and driving up to the church seeing all the kids waving with their big smiles, I hoped everyone enjoyed that just as much! Did anyone give all the kids a high five just like Mr. Mudda?
Jackie, I bet you took one look at those kids and fell in love. Just remember, it's not safe to pack a kid in a suitcase;)
Sheldon, why are you eating lunch by yourself? Are you sad i'm not there to try and eat you food?
Steven, I see the kids seem to be liking you, or just your phone... Just kidding (insert poop emoji because that's how you show your love!) All that time in Peru, you better be chatting away with those kids!
Mom, first day of VBS, WOOHOO! Did you have to paint any rocks yet or get your face covered in tea? Anyways, i'm sure it went great. Keep up the hard work everyone!

Love, Jul xo
Ps: Dad I am rooting for you to win Pass the Pigs for once;) Did anyone get a double leaning jowler yet?

Unknown said...

D is for Dianne,Dedicated Dianne you are so dedicated one can always count on you to get the job done. BRAVO.
G is for George, Good, George you do a very good job at getting things done around and in the church. BRAVO

J is for Jackie,Joyful Jackie I can just see how much joy that you are bringing to all those little children and how much joy that they are bringing to you. BRAVO.

M is for Marsha,Motherly I'm sure Marsha that you are going to Mother all the children like they are your very own. BRAVO
More tomorrow Love Nick & Linda

Carmen and Hac said...

It's humbling to see everyone looking very homey. The pictures Joycegina took quite reminds me of home (Philippines). Everyone looks good despite the flight and early scheds. We're all praying for ya'll. God bless!

Unknown said...

Love the vocab on the water bottle - brilliant!