Monday, December 30, 2013

Trip to Vancouver and Canadian National Youth Workers Convention - Nov 7 - 11th PART 1

Youth ministry is an ever changing thing. 
Each year I try to get some more training in this area, and go to a place where I will be challenged in the thinking process of youth ministry. 
So, I headed off to Vancouver, B.C. in November to attend the Canadian National Youth Workers Convention.  
My 15th, at least.
Always a great place to meet fellow youth Pastors/workers, volunteer leaders.  
There's something about being in a room with people who think similarly about issues important in your own life/ministry that is relaxing and energizing.  
I've broken this event into 3 different entries...too many pictures to do just one.
So, enjoy as I give you a bit of my experience in B.C.  


We stayed at the Hyatt in Vancouver.  
I was there 2 years ago, but things have changed. 
A new elevator system is now in place.  All computerized.


I arrived a day before the convention started, so I could relax for a day and decompress due to a pretty busy year in ministry.  

I ended up meeting someone for lunch to talk about planning our SOUL CARE RETREAT that is coming up in February of 2014. Funny how you have to come to B.C. to meet up with someone from Ontario.  : ) 
We ate at one of the many restaurants around the hotel. 


The food was amazing.  

So was the dessert.  : )

A view from the hotel room.  

The hotel room.

Very modern.

Very clean.

Very bright.


And very occupied...
yes, I share a room with Dan, Youth Worker from Dixon's Corners CRC.  Dan and I are good friends (right Dan??)  
It was great spending the weekend with him...and as a bonus he brought his camera with him so I took minimal pictures this time.

In the elevator.


The hotel entrance.

Dan arrived early afternoon the day before the conference as well.  We started out by getting dinner at McDonald's.  


We went for a long walk first.....along the boardwalk and into Stanely Park.  

Dan wanted to put his hand in the salt water.  


A map of the area.  


This is the station we came out of to get to our hotel.  A great train system from the airport to the hotel.  


A short walk from the hotel is the waterfront. 
This is a larger convention centre we walk past as we go to the waterfront. 


Dan has not been here before.
I had been two years ago...but it never gets old. 
The views are stunning.
This view is of the dock where cruise ships anchor.  


Many cargo ships anchor as they wait to unload their cargo.  

There's a water airport dockside as well. 



Hey, I didn't know this restaurant was there before. 
We'll have to go there for breakfast.

The water airport.
We could have been watching planes take off and land for hours...but sadly, we couldn't.  

The waterfront....condo's galore!!



One of the few pictures of me.


Dan found the olympic flame right by the harbour.
I didn't even think to look the last time I was here.

Another picture of me...
yikes : ) !


As we walked, we saw some pretty interesting house boats.  




A map of Stanley park.  
It's huge.


A remnant tree to remember all the trees lost in the powerful storm some years ago.  

I was face-timing my family in this picture...in case you are wondering.  : )  


1 comment:

Dan Ponsen said...

Yes, of course we are good friends, Ron!! I had a great time there with ya :)