Monday, December 30, 2013

TACO NIGHT - CIA - December 10th

This past year we as youth leaders decided to change things up a bit.... going to a weekly rotation system. 
This entry highlights one of our TACO nights.
TACO stands for Take A CIA member Out. 
Each grade 9 - 12 young person has been matched
 with an adult mentor of the same gender. 
They get together once a month to share life together and get to know each other.  
This evening, December 10th, was our third TACO night. 

The group gathering together. 
Our grade 7 & 8's do Catechism instruction
 while our TACO nights go on.   

Our mentors gathering together.   

 Hey Eric.

So we soon separated out and our mentors and "mentees" went off to do different things. 
I asked Chris (my "mentee")to help me with 
my picture taking ability. 
He owns a DSLR and I just got a new one. I wanted to better understand how the camera works, and how to take pictures using more than the "automatic" setting. 


Chris taught me about white balance, back lighting, ISO, and the different things in the menus.  
I learned a great deal. 

I learned about focus, and that I prefer automatic over manual...but you have to learn somehow.  : ) 

Chris posed for me....this one was interesting.  : ) 

This one was an experiment in lighting.   

This one had to do with aperture and something I did WRONG. : )  
Thanks, Chris, for teaching me some new things. 
I'm HOPING to be able to take better pictures now.  

Other mentor/mentee's just talked.  As you can see, I'm still learning to focus when it comes to manual focus...sigh.  

Hey Bert....how ya doin'?  
A dinner was happening upstairs with the Friendly Hands...in case you were wondering how Bert got into this picture.  : )
Chris is working on his camera skills too.   

Jeremy and Simon sharing life together.  

Sarah and Mel baking and sharing life together.  

The Friendly Hands finishing up their own dinner after serving a dinner.   

Anne talking with Sarah.

The pre-cooked cookie that Sarah and Mel made.   


Sarah cleaning up.   

 One dessert left over from the dinner. 
Anne was saving it for me....(I love her for that) : )
I let Chris have the 1st half.  

Bert's better side....bahahaha!
Couldn't resist Bert.  

Card making as a way to share life and do something neat for Christmas.   

Stamps that can be used.   

The ETMers waiting for all of us to get done.   

Kevin....how ya doin??? 

Ben.....smile buddy. : ) 

Janika looking over the gingerbread houses. 
We showed them off after church the Sunday before and then I let anyone who wanted to, take one home.

Our TACO nights are coming along. 
People seem to be getting accustomed to each other. 
My hope is that these relationships continue to grow and flourish in the new year and for years to come.
I like the creative ways in which people are using their time together. Great to see the generations mixing.  

No comments: