Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Winter Camping with Some from CIA

This Blog entry comes from a combination of Kevin and Rosy writing.  They, and several others went winter camping back in January.  I was hoping to go (no, really!!)  but a pinched nerve in my neck prevented me.  

They did very well and had a great weekend.  Read all about it....with of course, the odd editorial comment from yours truly....  : ) 

For me the winter camping started nine years ago when I was in youth group and Ron was just starting his first full year at Calvin.  At one point he had asked for input from the youth and I took that to mean that he wanted said input on a continual basis.  I was more than happy to provide. 
Yes, he was more than happy to provide....and still does.... : ).  It's all good though. 

 The conversation went something like this:
“Ron, we should go winter camping.”

“We’ll do it when you plan it.”

“I won’t plan it unless there’s someone who’s experienced coming.”

“I guess we aren’t doing it then.”

We had that conversation many times over the years as I moved from youth to leader and it slowly dropped off both our radars.  

I was pleasantly surprised this past June, at our regular youth group camping weekend, when Mel and Jeannine informed me that some of the kids were talking about winter camping in a vague sort of way.  Chad happened to be there as well and he’s been on several winter trips.  It didn’t take me long to ask him if he’d be willing to come along.  He was.  After we had finished our Sunday morning service around the fire I put the question to them:

“Would any of you be interested in winter camping?”

There were enough people interested (surprisingly more girls than boys, well done ladies) for me to tackle the next problem:  

Where do I find a female leader that would do something like this?  Church policy says I need at least one female adult along in order for the girls to come.  So I need to find a female leader.

So I delegated and told the girls that they needed to find an adult female if they want to come.

It didn’t take long for God to start pulling female leaders out of the woodwork.  

First was Danielle (a niece of John and Annette) who is also quite experienced in the outdoors (winter camping included).  

Next was Angela, my own, dear, sister-in-law, also experienced in the outdoors (though new to the winter side of things), who jumped on the idea as soon as I mentioned that I needed some adult women along. 
(I think he paid her to come....bahahahaha...just kidding Angela!)


Last was Annette B.  As far as I’m aware she hasn’t done all that much camping recently,  (Hey Kevin, she's been camping with us A LOT, and taken her kids many times.....just FYI)  and never in the winter but she was very intrigued by the concept of the outdoors.  According to her, she started to get interested in interior camping when I showed her the hammock shelter that I slept in at the June youth camping weekend.  She came to the evening when I spread my gear out to show everyone what they’d need (parents were encouraged to be there so that they’d know what their kids were getting into) and asked me if she could come. 

Winter experienced people roped in.  Female leaders accounted for.  All that had to be done was ensuring that everyone had appropriate gear, plan a menu, plan a route and set a date. (Details, details, details....  : ) ) 


That took longer than I imagined it would. (Welcome to MY world Kevin....)  I’ve done a couple of solo trips before and took about three hours each to plan and pack.  I did not count on the exponential increase of time that planning for 10 people causes.

Many hours were spent on the internet, talking with Mr. Google, gathering as much information as I could.  I created and sent out a gear list with a rough budget.   I started to create a spreadsheet of the menu.  I also began to create an information package for Search and Rescue (SAR) personnel should the need arise.

One Saturday in November was a time to introduce those that could attend to some basics in knots, shelters and fire.  We also went over the gear that everyone had gathered by that point.  I was somewhat discourage by the lack of gear that had been assembled. Rosalynn pretty much was set and ready to go. Alex wasn’t far behind but the rest had next to nothing pulled together. I knew how much work they had yet to do and the weekend was fast approaching. (Hmmm,  let me guess, one of them was my son...right....??  : )) 

By this point I had a rough menu set out, the SAR info package was coming together and I had my gear hammered out (though somewhat scattered between my closet, basement and the kit that I use when I respond as a SAR tech).  Things were generally starting to feel like they were coming together.  

A couple of interested people (Ron included) had to withdraw as they didn’t feel they had the time to commit  (No, bad shoulder.....bad shoulder....really....!!! )so I adjusted the quantities on the shopping list, changed my mental game plan and moved on:  helped Chris get his gear sorted out, answered lots of questions as people started to pull their gear together, made jerky, infused some oil with herbs and spices, and took a break for Christmas.

At the beginning of January I bought some sleds and passed them out (one per person) with the instructions that each person was to figure out how they’d keep their stuff in it and how they’d pull it.  I refused to give out any suggestions as to how they should go about doing this other than to tell them to try whatever they were going to do before the trip.

I also informed them that they had to leave room for group gear.  About this time I found out that enough people owned, or could borrow, multiple pairs of snowshoes that nobody would have to rent (a savings of $35 per person).  Something that I hadn’t counted on and something that I’m sure God sorted out in his own way.

This was when what felt like the end of the trip happened.  All of the rentable, 4 season sleeping bags at MEC (an outdoors store in Ottawa) were booked.  Asking everyone to purchase one of these for a potential one time use was unreasonable but we needed good sleeping gear.  Bad sleeping gear means a life threatening night for everyone if we were to try to attempt it.  

I called every other outdoors store in the city but quickly came to the conclusion that MEC was the only place that rented sleeping bags.  I briefly thought about cancelling the trip.  The next day I sent an email to Danielle, Chad and Angela (those that I considered my fellow leaders) and asked if they would be able to beg or borrow sleeping bags that were rated for -12°C or so (we needed to get at least 10 of these in total).  The next email that went out went to the rest of the group.  They had to find their own sleeping bag with a rating of -5°C or better.

Again God stepped in.  We ended up having more than enough sleeping bags.  There were three extra bags in the back of my van when we set foot on the trail.
(Ah yes, Kevin. They say the DEVIL is in the details, but I find that God usually works him out of things in the end...: )  )

Once the sleeping bag thing was figured out I made a list and started checking things off: 

  • trail mix made and handed out, 
  • first aid kit taken care of (Angela took this on), 
  • food bought and prepped (Angela, Danielle and Chad all stepped in to give a hand with this), 
  • ice picks made (Danielle completed these for me when I ran out of time), 
  • stoves, 
  • pots, 
  • pans, 
  • fuel, 
  • hatchets, 
  • saws, 
  • insulated seats (cut up blue foam mattress), 

pulled together and placed in a pile in my living room. 

By now my living room was looking like camping gear had exploded everywhere.








The gear bomb.



January 25, the Wednesday evening before we leave, was the day that everyone would be bringing their gear to the church to be checked by one of the leaders (myself, Angela, Danielle, Chad).  I loaded my sled, backpack and the group gear into the back of my van and headed over  to pick up Annette, Danielle and Hannah.   It was a tight squeeze to get everything in but there was no doubt on my part that it’d all fit.


Once at the church we unloaded the van and I split off to photocopy an information package that would be left in each vehicle (maps plus a copy of the package left behind for the SAR people).  When I got back everyone was starting to unpack all of their gear.  I grabbed a gear list and sat down with Annette while Danielle read and signed our abuse prevention policy and Hannah replaced the harnesses on a couple of pairs of snowshoes.

By the time I had gone through Annette’s gear it was time for her to head off to soaking prayer and several others had arrived.  Chad was going through Alex’s gear, Danielle had moved on to Rosalynn’s, and Megan had arrived and was waiting for her gear to get looked at.  She had several questions about some of the gear that was needed so I spent some time with her and her mom helping them to understand just what was a necessity, what was negotiable and what could be done without.  By the time I was done with her some of the others had finished getting their gear approved, packed their sleds and gone home to study exams.  I stayed back and did some last tidying up as I tried to think of everything that could go wrong and just how it could be prevented and Hannah happily double checked Danielle’s gear making her take out every item and show it to her.  (Did Chris actually show up too?  You didn't mention him.....)Once that was done we went home.






The church basement




Hannah figuring out how to attach harnesses to a pair of snowshoes







Danielle reading the abuse policy





Chad inspecting Alex’s gear





Our sleds, packed and ready to go.





There was no caption for this pictures so I'll just make one up for Hannah......I think she's sleeping standing UP....bahahahaha....  





At this point I felt like I could start to relax.  Everything that could be done was done.  Everyone either had their gear at the church (double checked) or had a short list of what was needed and I was confident that they could fill it.  Then I remembered that I had left some bread in the food barrel that was part of Chris’ sled.  The next day I sent him an apologetic text, went to church, opened his sled, pulled the barrel out and stuffed the bread in the fridge. (oh, so he DID show up...whew....)


Saturday morning.

(I asked Rosalynn to write her thoughts.  They appear in blue.) (Notice it's a DIFFERENT blue than mine...mines more peaceful, calm....etc. )  

Hello everyone! Rosy here, filling in for Ron and writing Rosy’s Deep Thoughts and Shallow Entries. (Good one Rosy).

Now, let me tell you of the wonders of white wintery weather and fill your minds with stories of a time not so long ago when ten adventurous and perhaps slightly-crazy people decided to brave the wilds of Algonquin Park in the dead of winter. (Ummmm. Sorry Rosy, but THIS winter really wasn't a winter as of yet...and from the sounds of things....you had beautiful warm temperatures....BUT, if that's how you saw it....go for it....)  


If you are hoping to never experience winter-camping and you don’t want to be talked into it, the people you should avoid are: Kevin, Chad, Danielle, Annette, Angela, Hannah, Megan, Chris, Alex, and myself.

As the brave young ladies and gentlemen gathering their supplies in fire-engine red toboggans, it was easy to see all the preparation that had gone into the trip: especially by the leaders. Thanks to everyone who help prepare for the event. Special thanks to Kevin for all the time he has put into this, his hard work, research, and dedication!

I had asked everyone to be at church for 7:30 a.m. and to bring a lunch for that day.  Intending to be a good role model and a leader from the beginning I got up early and made my way to the church.  Half way there I realized that I had forgotten the money for the park permits; so much for being early. (Don't worry Kevin...I won't tell anyone.. : ) )    Fortunately I was still able to open the church before anyone got there.

Everyone must have been pretty keen as they all arrived within about 10 minutes of each other and it quickly became mass mayhem.  There was the food to take out of the fridge and freezer and pack, there were fully loaded sleds to be carried up the stairs and put in vehicles (Chad took charge of this), there was my own gear to double check to make sure that I didn’t forget anything.  Angela arrived in the middle of this and I dumped the permit money on her, figuring that she would take good care of it (she did not disappoint). 

Once all the gear was in the vehicles I gathered everyone on the stairs together and explained what the icepicks were, what they were for and how to use them.  We took a couple of group shots, Angela prayed and we were off…almost.



Chad was in front, Annette drove Angela’s car in the middle and I took the back.  That was the plan anyway.  It turned out that Angela’s car didn’t like Annette as it wouldn’t turn on.  Out Angela jumped and she ran around to try it herself.  Annette gets back in the driver’s seat and Angela goes back to hers.  Then they did it again.  After several times back and forth I was about to get out and help when they seemed to get things figured out and we were off, for real this time.  I don’t know what it was, neither does Angela but it happily didn’t happen again.

Saturday, January 28, we all gathered together. The planning was done, and it was time to camp! Our sleds were loaded into the van and we all received ice picks in case we had to walk over a frozen lake. To be honest, the ice picks looked more like small dynamite sticks to me…

Then we left. Good-bye civilization! … actually, we stopped to fill up at a gas station and use the restroom one last time. Then, it really was “good-bye civilization”!





Rosalynn and Megan get their ice picks for the first time.






They figured them out now.




Group shot without Kevin in the picture.....




My Annette, how you've changed!!  : )  





Filling out the permit envelopes.




Shortly out of the church parking lot I realized that I had forgotten to pack my lunch.  I had sent both an email and a Facebook message to the entire group but it somehow slipped my mind. (Tee, hee....sorry Kevin...I COULDN'T Help it!!!!)   When Chad stopped to fill up on gas I bought a couple of rather sad, damp, premade, Caesar wraps and resigned myself to having to rely on an ironclad digestive system to get me through to supper.

Once everyone was ready we all got back in the vehicles and continued on our way.  To get to the trailhead it’s a couple of hours down the trans-Canada highway about 15 Km down a side road (paved) to where it becomes a logging road (unpaved) and another 30 Km or so after that.  Somewhere on the paved portion there were half a dozen wild turkeys sitting in the middle of the road.  Chad stopped until they moved and carried on. 

About 15Km from the trailhead is the park gate.  The office is closed in the off season but they leave self-serve envelopes for trippers to pay with.  I grabbed one and started to fill it out only to realize that I had a day use envelope.  I switched envelopes, gave one to each driver and we proceeded to get everything signed and paid for.  Off we went, another 15Km to the trailhead.



My poor van getting pulled out




The original plan had been to take the rivers as they are a very convenient highway through the bush.  However, I did have my reservations  (I thought you'd already done the reservation part at the front GATE...get it...reservation.....ok, I'll cease now...) about this as the winter hadn’t been particularly cold up to this point so the ice had a chance of not being thick enough to be safe.  I think that Chad had the same thoughts.  


Once we were parked he told me to hop in his truck and we drove to the beginning of a trail that paralleled the river (my plan B).  It was only 200 meters or so down the road and, once we got there, it took us all of about 15 seconds to decide to use the trail instead of the water.  Back we went to the other vehicles and everyone piled in.  Then we got stuck.

Arriving at the parking lot, Kevin and Chad decided to make sure we were at the right parking lot. It was a good thing they did, because we weren’t. We all packed back into the vans only to realize that we wouldn’t be going anywhere any time soon. Underneath a thick and deceiving layer of snow lay a small skating rink. Using eight of our ten group members, Angela’s car was pushed from the lot, and we turned our attention to Kevin’s van. Unfortunately it seemed that all ten of us weren’t going to be able to get the car out of the parking lot and the more we tried the more stuck we got! 


Thankfully, down the road came a pickup truck whose driver was eager to help us out. After some engine revving and tire spinning, the van was out of the ditch that it’s right side had fallen into. So to those of you who pulled the van out for us, if you ever run across this blog: THANKS! : ) 

Angela’s vibe was light enough for us to push out but my van was a different story.  To make matters worse we somehow shimmied the silly thing off the road as we tried to get it out.  Sigh.  At that point some people that were driving down the road stopped and asked if we needed a tow. 
“Yes, please.”

In no time flat my van had a tow rope attaching it to a rather large pickup and after a bit of pulling and a jerk or two it was out.  We all gathered round and there was much thanks offered.  It turns out they were military personnel out to enjoy a Saturday of snowshoeing.  They all wished us a good trip and we went our separate ways. (Again...God was watching out for you...what are the odds...  : ) )  

At the trailhead we carefully parked all three vehicles so that they wouldn’t get stuck again and began to unload our sleds and get out gear ready.  Once our stuff was ready to go we grabbed our lunches and started to fuel up before the trek.  My soggy wraps weren’t as bad as I had figured they’d be but they weren’t exactly tasty either.  I got them down as well as an orange that Danielle offered me.  Some cookies were passed around and we started to get the last fiddly details dealt with.


As we were finishing our lunch a couple pulled up and hopped out with 2 dogs.  It turns out that they maintain the trail on a volunteer basis.  As such they had lots of local knowledge and were able to tell us about the trail conditions and where places were and were not safe and many other things.  As experienced as they were it took them very little time to have their sleds out and moving down the trail.







Getting our gear ready



What our packed sleds looked like





The group, with our sleds packed and ready to go



We took a quick group picture then we too started on our way, down a hill, over a bridge and on into the wild.  Up to this point I had been feeling a little like the amount of work that had been necessary to get the trip going wasn’t going to be worth it.  Boy, was I wrong!  It took me all of five steps to start to relax and feel the peace of the forest.  There is something about being surrounded by trees and land that is far away from urban, or even rural, centres.  No vehicles or crowds to worry about.  No technology or gadgets to go beep.  Just God-made nature that is so silent it is deafening.  The pure white snow of winter only amplifies this affect. (I agree Kevin...how'd my son, and the others who rely so much on their iphones, ipads, android phones...handle that?)  



One thing about winter camping is that you have to be very careful not to get wet.  If you get wet, you get cold.  If you get cold you get hypothermia.  If you get hypothermia you’re in a lot of trouble.  The easiest way to get wet is to sweat.  The usual method to solve this is to wear many layers.  As you warm up from exercise you take layers off.  As you cool down when you stop moving you put those layers back on.

According to Chad’s GPS we were 360 meters along the trail when I stopped to take a few layers off (I checked my thermometer and it was about -3 to -5°C).  Everyone else did the same to varying degrees.  Annette was surprised when she noticed I was down to my T-shirt.  Ah, the joys of a very high metabolism.  Once everyone had had some water we were off again.  It was a relatively short hike with a few ups and downs.  Fairly easy, until you add the snowshoes and sleds (though Megan had it easy, at the end of the trip I picked up her sled and it didn’t weigh much more than 12 pounds). (Maybe she forgot to take food along?)

Well, once we arrived at our destination, the sleds were unpacked, our brown-bag lunches were opened, and our snowshoes were strapped on. After receiving some very helpful advice from the volunteers who maintain the trail, we set out. Within the first five minutes, I went from four layers to two. It took a while to figure out the most comfortable way to pull the sleds, but we figured it out eventually.








Time to drop a few layers







Rosalynn seems to have found a stick. 






Look Megan, the sun





Hi, Hannah

It took us a little over an hour to get to the side trail that looked like it would take us to our site.  I stepped out of the harness for my sled and left the group to see if this was the right one.  It was indeed the correct trail and I took care to stomp the snow down on my way back.  Once everyone was at the site we started going about the task of making camp.  





The view that greeted us as we came into the clearing that was to be our home.







The rapids that were across the pond.




The boys visiting the rapids

First the location of our beds had to be picked.  There was some hemming and hawing over who would go where but soon things got figured out; the girls would go over there and the boys over here.   The girls went off to do their thing, Chad and I set about putting the tarp up on the guys’ side while Alex dug out the fire pit and Chris went to gather some wood.  


Once we had our tarp up I took a doubtful look at it and started to wonder if we’d be able to fit the four of us under the same shelter.  After expressing my concern to Chad and a little more hemming and hawing (there was lots of daylight to do this and I was enjoying not having to rush) I decide to sleep on my own.  I wandered over to the girls’ side to get a tarp and was surprised to see that they were planning on putting all six of them under one shelter.  I figured that they had Danielle and Angela there so they would be able to figure it out, told them I didn’t think that it would be all that comfortable and left them to it.  


When I got back to the guys area I put my tarp to the side and Chad and I started to build snow walls around the edge of the tarp to block the wind and Alex went to help Chris get wood.  One little trick that Danielle showed us was to use pine branches to pad the floor and further insulate us from the ground.  I thought it was a neat idea so went off to gather some for the guys’ side.

The campsite wasn’t far and we arrived shortly. Then the real work began. We packed down trails across the camp and began setting up. Danielle, who has plenty of experience in this sort of thing, gave us some great advice for setting up shelter. We began by layering the sleeping surface with pine boughs to keep us insulated from the snow. We tied our tarp about two feet above the ground, with another tarp above it- on a slant to keep the snow from weighing the tarp down. It got slightly claustrophobic in there at times, but we all managed to keep fairly warm. All six girls decided to fit under one tarp. 


Now, before I continue, I should let you know that all the tarps were the same size. So the boys built their shelter and, after consulting each other, they agreed that only three people would fit under their tarp. Kevin had to set up his own shelter. Hmm...  (I get it Rosy....girls like to be cozy when the sleep....NOT guys together....no way...nadda....ain't gonna happen....  !! : ) ) 





Rosalynn working on the floor of the girls’ shelter




The girls’ shelter




The boys’ shelter




Inside the boys shelter






The tree that did multiple duty as our kitchen, sled parking garage and my shelter





Me putting up my shelter







My bed.




The fire pit





Alex cutting wood

By the time we were done with the floor of the boys’ tarp the girls were done with their shelter and had moved on to making the fire (they can be very industrious when they want to).  Chad started to boil water for our supper (dehydrated meal packs) and I put up my tarp.  The girls saw this and asked what I was doing.  I told them and they couldn’t believe that we couldn’t fit four where they had fit six (there was some laughter at our expense). (Kevin...see comment just above....I'm with you on this....) 


Chad pointed out that guys don’t like touching other guys when they sleep and we stood our ground on it being a very sensible decision to spread out and maintain our personal bubbles. (See Rosy....I WAS right...and honestly, I didn't read ahead!)  

It was starting to get dark at this point and the water that Chad had going on his stove had started to boil so we “measured” it out into the packets and started to pass the food around.  These packets say that they can feed two people, so as I gave them out each person had to find a food buddy and share.  Given my metabolism I took one for myself, as did Chad. 

The thing with these packets is that they require a fairly accurate amount of water.  If you put too much you end up with a slurpee soup.  If you put too little you get this dry-ish glob of mush.  Mine had too much so I ended up pouring it into my mug and drinking it; a little strange in texture but not bad.

Everyone did their own dishes (rubbed them with snow until they were more or less clean) as they finished eating and soon we were all sitting around the fire enjoying each other’s company.  There was some healthy banter, some singing, some rather strange discussions about pregnancy and all the other crazy antics that usually go on when youth gather around a fire.  Then we all decided that it was late and time to go to bed (it was about 9:00).

After shelter was set up and fire wood was collected, it was time for supper. Water was boiled and added to packages of dehydrated soup. The food tasted great, especially after working hard all afternoon. It got dark not shortly after. We sang some campfire songs and Danielle taught us “The Waters of Babylon.”  We then made it tradition for Hannah, Megan, Danielle, and I to sing that song, while we guarded the “thunderbox” (our toilet for the weekend), before bed.

While everyone brushed their teeth, Chad boiled some water and poured it into Nalgene bottles so that those who wished could have an extra warm bed; as it wasn’t that cold I declined.  A wind had picked up by this time so I used mine and Angela’s packs to hold down and wall off one edge of my tarp and used snow to close off one of the ends.  Once everyone was in bed I took one last look around the site to make sure that everything was more or less put away, changed into my pajamas (this happens really quickly when it’s below 0 and there’s a wind blowing).

I found it a relatively good night.  This is the first time I’ve ever slept with minimal shelter in the winter (as was the case for the majority of the group) but it was rather nice.  I woke up a few times that night (mostly due to overheating) and each time was greeted with the absolute stillness (the wind had died) and peace of a winter’s night in the forest.  The moon was out and the trees seemed to glow.  Some people got out of bed that night and reported that the stars were out, visible, and very big; sites that exist only when you’re surrounded by nature.

When you’re camping one of the hardest things to do is to get out of a warm sleeping bag and go to the bathroom.  It’s one of those things that there isn’t much you can do about.  I employed the technique of not drinking before I went to bed and woke up dehydrated (not an excellent plan) but some others (a few of the girls) decided that taking an empty bottle to bed would be a good idea.  This was new for them and one (that will remain nameless) even took a towel just in case she missed.  The next morning there were stories of attempts, successes, failures (thankfully no messes) and three trips to the thunder box (our wonderful outhouse with a view) by the same person. (No comment....I REALLY want to...but that "person" would KILL me...........so.............no comment!)

We really didn’t want to have to get up during the night to go to the bathroom, as it took us twenty minutes every evening and every morning just to get out of our sleeping bags! Now, as I mentioned before, Danielle knows a lot about this sort of stuff, and she had recently learned about a special technique for peeing in a Nalgene bottle if you didn’t want to get out of your sleeping bag! Many of us deciding to avoid that method, but they were a few adventurous folks in the group who thought they might try it. You’ll have to ask them about that! 

As we talked and laughed about this (trippers tend to get very open with each other about these matters) the boys looked at the girls, looked at the trees, looked back at the girls and, collectively decided that they were nuts and we were going to stick with trees, even if it meant getting out of a nice warm sleeping bag.  Later, the girls found the tree and were rather grossed out, I still think it’s more hygienic than a bottle…much more satisfying as well.






The pee tree (included at Ron’s request).
(I don't remember asking for this picture...but I like it..)






I was out of bed first (apparently not the first awake as Rosalynn had been awake for some time picking at the frost on the tarp above her head) so, after changing, I followed backcountry etiquette and lit a fire.  It was a pleasantly warm day (about -5°C again) and our site was bathed in sunlight.  Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage and oatmeal all washed down by water and tea. 

Once breakfast was over I decided that I’d try this new toothpaste that I’d bought.  You take this tab, chew it and brush your teeth with a wet toothbrush.  Apparently it’s organic, biodegradable and tastes like grapefruit.  I was looking forward to it and Angela and Danielle both wanted to try it as well.  We each popped a tab and started to chew.  Well, I can’t say anything about the organic or biodegradable but it sure didn’t taste like grapefruit.  It tasted like I’d just taken a bite out of a bar of soap.  We each chewed brushed quickly and tried to rinse the nasty flavor out of our mouths with water.  I’ve definitely had better toothpaste.

The next morning we didn’t get up until about nine o’clock. For breakfast we ate oatmeal, scrambled eggs, and sausage. I was feeling slightly concerned about eating scrambled eggs, since I hadn’t eaten scrambled eggs for 3½ years, after an unfortunate run-in with stale just-add-water eggs…  Turns out that I’ve been missing out for the past few years, and the eggs were really good!





Cooking the eggs and sausages

Eating breakfast (some used mugs instead of bowls as it was less to carry)




Angela, Chad and myself (Kevin) having a discussion of great importance (or just standing around enjoying ourselves).





By this time it was almost noon (yes, it took us three hours to have breakfast) so we packed up lunch and went for a hike.  As I was carrying my pack (I was pretty resistant to leaving it behind as it had gear that was good for emergencies) I handed Chris the harness for the lunch sled and told him that he’d be the lucky guy to pull it. (I bet he LOVED that request). 


Off we went, following a trail that I’d picked out long ago.  It was a longer hike than the one that took us to the site from the parking lot and it had some bigger hills so it took more time than I’d thought it would.  We met up with the couple that was maintaining the trail on the way, shared a few words and parted ways. 

When we got to the end of the trail (a very steep hill) I slipped ahead to try and find a good lunch spot.  There wasn’t too much to choose from so I picked one and went back.  When I got back with the news that I’d found a place the other leaders told me that they thought that we should have lunch right where we were.  It was out of the wind, a little steep but manageable (we were just at the top of the hill), there wasn’t much of a view (we were surrounded by rocks) but why not, the view could be seen after food.  We sat down right there and had some flat bread with meat and cheese.

After breakfast, we packed our day packs and strapped on the snow shoes. Then we headed out for the hike. We hiked to “High Falls” and it was absolutely beautiful! The ice that formed around the rushing water had frozen into green, blue, and white ice sculptures. The tops of a million trees stretched up to the sky for miles on end.  What better way to spend a Sunday-camping day than in God’s beautiful creation!

I had brought some horse meat along and labeled it smoked meat.  The plan was to pass it around until everyone had some and then tell them what it was.  Chad and Angela picked up on the flavor right away and Hannah found out and refused to try some.  I don’t know how many actually ate any but I know that those who did enjoyed it.

We ate lunch a ways back from the falls since we didn’t want to attempt to get the sled down the rocky and uneven path to the falls. Kevin wanted us all to try some lunchmeat that he had labeled as “smoked meat”. Hannah found out it was horsemeat just in time, and she didn’t hesitate to warn the rest of us! Annette said it was probably Spartan from Heartland. (That Annette...always the jokester...I can just see her saying that and then laughing and laughing.....) Haha… (for those of you who haven’t yet seen Heartland, you’re missing out!)

When we were done lunch we left the sled and snowshoes there and walked to the main attraction of the area: High Falls.  It may not be particularly high but it is still a very beautiful place with lots of rocks and pools and, yes, falls.  I’ve been here twice before but it is a different place in the winter.  The snow smooths everything out and the spray forms natural ice sculptures.  It’s really quite a site.  Everyone thought so and there were quite a lot of pictures taken.










This is one of my favourite spots at High Falls








Mom and daughter




The girls





Angela.  Thanks for coming.








The boys.























We didn’t stick around too long though as it was getting late and we still had the hike back to do.  When we got back to the sled and snowshoes Angela voluntarily took the sled and we were off.  I stayed in the back this time (figured I try something different) and paused at a point where the trail goes along the shore of a lake.  It was another beautiful landscape.  I never feel so connected with God and so in awe of his power as I do when I’m surrounded by the natural world.  I don’t think it will ever get old.









Stratton Lake



On the way back the group spread out a bit but I wasn’t too concerned as there was only one trail and, due to the snow, if anyone took the wrong way I’d know about it.  Somewhere along the way Angela, Danielle and I were with most of the kids having a water break when we heard snowmobiles.  I’d been listening to them for a couple of minutes before the break and was wondering where they were going and what they were doing.  As we were having our break the thought crossed my mind that they must be on the main trail.  Just as I was remembering that there was only one real trail in the area and that we were on it the snowmobiles sped around the corner and were suddenly very close and still moving.  I have never seen the kids move that fast.  In less than a second they were off the trail and the snowmobilers had a clear path.  I must say, I’m a little proud of them for being alert enough to move like that.

Then we headed back. On the way back, we stopped to let everyone catch up. We started to hear a low rumble like an engine, slowly drawing closer. We looked at each other uncertainly and only looked back to the trail just in time to see two snowmobiles barreling towards us. Within 5 seconds, we had jumped off the trail to let them pass. The rest of way back was uneventful, and soon we were back at the camp, preparing supper.

That was all the excitement that we had on the way back.  Danielle and I each pulled a dead sapling from the ground for firewood.  I made the miscalculation of knocking the snow off of mine by hitting it against a tree.  The miscalculation was that I forgot about the snow on the branches above my head.

Back at camp Alex started to cut up the trees that we’d brought in and we started to put supper together.  Supper was sweet potato soup and fried bannock.  Danielle had prepared the soup ahead of time and froze it so all we had to do was toss the chunk into a pot and keep stirring.  Danielle put on her ski goggles as protection against the smoke (hey, that's not a bad idea for SUMMER camping..I'm going to have to remember that one!)  and set about frying the bannock.  It was a very tasty meal. 

This night progressed very much like the last one had.  We went to bed at about 9 again but it still felt like 12.  The only difference was that it was a colder night and we could tell that it would be getting colder still.  This time everyone got a hot water bottle.  To expedite things I got my stove going as well and soon everyone was in bed.

For supper we ate some delicious soup and bannock, and afterwards we told stories around the fire. Then, once more, it was time for bed. I had been slightly cold the night before, so I wore a few extra layer to keep me warm, and, I must say, this time I felt much more claustrophobic in my rolls of sleeping bags.






Danielle and I making supper.






Fried bannock.



(Don't Hannah and Rosy look like twins?)






Chad boiling water for hot water bottles.



It did indeed turn out to be a colder night.  When I woke up my boots had frozen solid and there was frost on my coat.  I didn’t want to get out of my nice warm sleeping bag so the boys were up first, Alex set about trying to light a fire and I was happy to let them do things on their own.  Then I heard the girls starting to get up.  Since I don’t particularly like changing in my sleeping bag and it would be even harder in the especially narrow confines of my mummy bag I needed to be up and changed before the girls.  Up I got and I was in my clothes as fast as I could manage.







The frozen pond





My poor jacket all frosted up



My boots were another problem though.  I slipped them on but couldn’t tie them up as the laces were frozen stiff.  I soon realized that I didn’t want them tied on anyway as they were sucking the heat out of my feet and I couldn’t feel my toes.  Not liking this very much I joined Alex at the fire and helped him get it up to a proper size.  About halfway through building the fire I pulled my boots off and stood on a piece of blue matt.  This actually helped.  It seemed like the air was warmer than my footwear.  As the fire got bigger I alternated between standing on the pad and standing on one of the stones that formed the fire ring.






Toes roasting by an open fire.

I had planned on breakfast to be pancakes but, given how long it took us to do eggs the day before, things changed.  Instead we all had oatmeal and some bacon (part of the original plan) and ham (leftovers from lunch) got fried.  It was pretty good.






Fried meat.

When breakfast was over it was time to clean up.  I laced on my boots and gaiters (both now thawed and a little damp) and started to help pack up.  At some point in the process of packing our gear I stopped to brush my teeth.  I was using the tabs again as I didn’t bring real toothpaste.  Rosalynn and Megan had seen us brush our teeth yesterday and were curious about how bad it was.  The problem Rosalynn had was that she’d misplaced her toothbrush.  I convinced her that a sprig of pine would do the job.  She cut one, scraped some needles off one end to form a handle and was ready to go.  I handed each of them a tab and we went for it.  Rosalynn was spitting toothpaste and needles for a few minutes after that and Megan was mildly grossed out by the flavor.






Starting pack our gear.





Packing up the fire pit.





The imprint from where I slept.









The girls packing up.








The girls’ imprints.







The boys shelter half cleaned.




Once everyone had their gear packed and the sleds loaded it was a last check and we were off…Almost.  Some of the girls needed to visit the box once more.  While that happened Hannah and Danielle taught us a little jig that gets your blood flowing and you warm; relatively simple but fun and easy to pick up.

When everyone was back we set off.  It was a mostly downhill hike back to the cars and we got there pretty quickly and uneventfully.  When we got there we put our gear in the vehicles and started into lunch (flat bread, meat, cheese and jubjubes).  As we were eating a couple of logging trucks passed us going quite a clip.  They move fast and are big.  I was very glad that we had the vehicles to the side.

At one point during lunch someone dared Danielle to eat her lunch in a tree.  She went for it.  It looked a little difficult as she had only one hand so she didn’t go very high.  I commented to Annette that I was tempted to dare her to go higher.  Annette told me this was a bad idea, and, I think to prevent me from doing just that, dared me to finish my lunch in a tree as well.  I generally need very little encouragement to climb something so up I went.  When I was done (three bites later) I hopped down.






Danielle in a tree





Me in a tree






Rosalynn trying to drink frozen juice




One of the logging trucks

By now everyone was pretty much finished so we got in the vehicles and started on our way.  Except for Annette, she was driving Angela’s car, she was stuck.  Out I got, Chris joined me, and we pushed her out.  Glad that it wouldn’t be taking more than that we got in again and were off; back to home and civilization.

The next morning we began to pack up before breakfast. For breakfast we ate oatmeal and fried bacon and ham. Then it was time to bungee-cord the sleds and head out. It wasn’t long until we were back at the cars. It was probably a good thing that we didn’t meet anymore snowmobiles, since I don’t think jumping out of the way would have been as easy with our 100-pound sleds. : )   


Back at the cars, we packed up and ate lunch. It seems Danielle is a big fan of dares, and soon she was eating her jube-jubes and cheese sandwich in a tree. Not to be outdone, Kevin also took the dare and climbed ten feet into another tree. After lunch we headed home, exhausted but satisfied. Hello, again, civilization!

This is probably one of the few trips that I have not come back from completely exhausted, sick, or both. Both my parents were quite impressed. Plus, how many people can say they went camping… in the winter… in Canada! 

So, to finish off this story, thank you to everyone involved! Thank you Kevin, Chad, and Danielle for planning, preparing, and advice-giving! Thank you Annette, Angela, Hannah, Megan, Chris, and Alex, for coming along! It was great getting to know everyone better as we struggled to survive our first winter camping trip! Hope to see you all next year with your fire-engine red sleds and chattering-teeth-slightly-purple-lipped smiles of excitement! 

THE END!



Now, I’m back at home.  The gear bomb has gone off again, my house smells of wood smoke and I need to clean and pack just about every piece of gear that I own.  All in all I think it was a wonderful trip and will more than likely be doing it again.  I was glad to be able to share it with everyone that came (thanks once again to those that volunteered their outdoors experience and leadership). 

Mostly though, I am glad to be able to give the youth something with which to expand their horizons and to be able to show them more of this wonderful creation that we live in.


Yes, thanks to all who helped make this a successful trip.  Lots of work planning stuff like this eh Kevin?  You did a great job.....MAYBE I'll go next year.....MAYBE!!  : ) 






1 comment:

Dan Ponsen said...

Wow! Looks like you guys had a great time. Makes me miss winter camping. Ron, I don't know if you could handle winter camping. Is this a challenge...I think so muahahaha.