Saturday, March 10, 2012

Peru 2012 Day 1 - Friday

Greetings all you diligent blog readers.
Welcome to the 4th Learning Opportunity to Pachacutec, Peru.

A disclaimer before we begin......as I did last year....
I'll be blogging late/early in the morning, so grammar may not be the best, or words may be misspelled.  I trust you will see past that, and focus on the adventures of this team while in Peru.  Having cleared that up for me...it's time to begin....  : ) 

I'm presently on our Flight to Lima. The movie system has broken down, so I figured I'd take the free time to do some initial typing so I don't forget everything. I am 46 after all! : )
So, we arrived at Ottawa Airport en mass at 8:00 am...well, almost all of us. There are always a few who are members of what I call the “last minute club.” I handed out various customs information, while Colin and Mel handed out tickets and other forms (yes there are lots of forms when I do a trip like this!)
Families who came to say good-bye hung around....and eventually said good-bye. : ) Everyone checked in and went through U.S. Customs quite smoothly. Several of our younger members were asked for their notarized forms (good thing I did that this year), and one random member had to go through the wonderful scanning machine...but he survived.
Once in the secure area of the airport, several took the time to grab a coffee at Tim's. Fontana won a coffee. I was the last one to go through customs, so as I was coming down the escalator, I saw a very happy Fontana telling me that she had won.....cute!
The groups started talking to each other (cliquing up....we'll continue to have to work on that) and playing cards. I had given everyone a folder with devotional materials in it to do each day. They were to start in the Airport....they didn't.....I had to remind them to start doing it....I did....... eventually they did! : )
They continued to socialize and play cards and wait......and wait....and wait....we got through customs in about 1.5 hours, so it was 9:30 am and our plane was not taking off until 10:49......or so we thought!
We boarded our plan....a very small plane. Only 3 seats per row.....1 aisle and 2. The plane held about 60 ish people, and we were a group of 40. I felt sorry for the other passengers having to put up with us, but they were very gracious. Our stewardess on the other hand was......well....let's just say we were much happier than she was.......
Chris, my wonderful son, decided he didn't want to sit beside me on the flight up....sniff, sniff...so he traded with his uncle Carl, and we chatted for a long time. The reason it was a long time, was because we were stuck at the gate for 1 hour waiting for some very important paperwork (or it sure had better have been important.)
Our connecting flight was scheduled to take off in Newark at 2:20 pm, so at first I wasn't too worried. Ian was one of the group that I had asked to write a journal.   He started to write...but I think he's going to have a hard time...since he said he didn't know how to write down feelings. I was getting a bit nervous about missing our connecting flight, and he noticed....and made some reference to it in his journal. You'll get to read about that in the near future. 

When people ask me if I get nervous, or if I'm doing ok as we begin these trips, I always tell them, I begin to relax when we are on the runway taking off on our leg to Lima.....that wasn't happening very quickly, and yes, I was getting a bit nervous. Apparently (according to Ian) I talk more when I'm nervous....nah......that can't be : ) I talk a lot no matter WHAT the stress conditions. : ) Ian just doesn't know me well enough yet to have figured that out.
We FINALLY got the paperwork and were off the ground by 12:10 pm. It was a very bumpy flight. The worst turbulence I've experience yet. If you didn't have your seat belt on, you were going to be hitting the roof on a couple of occasions.
This didn't sit well with a couple of people in the group. Fontana, sitting behind me, asked me for a barf bag, but she managed to keep things down.
It seemed to take forever to land, but eventually we landed after seeing the sites of New York City. It was 1:15 pm. 1 hour to our connecting flight....which was in Terminal C...We landed in Terminal A.
Time to get off the plane and take a shuttle bus to terminal A....but not so fast...first we waited for our carry on luggage that was checked in the back of the plane...another 10 minute delay......then a walk to the bus pick up point....and then wait for the bus.....and yet another bus. It was 1:50 by the time we arrived at gate C133.....people were already boarded pretty much. A couple in our group had to get some food to manage their blood sugar, but all were doing well.....I was an internal wreck....I don't like such close transfers with being responsible for 40 people.....but God is with us. : )
I once again gave up my seat so Chris and Kyle could sit together. I have an aisle seat, and I'm ok
Our first meal was served shortly after another bumpy takeoff. Larger plane, larger bumps with turbulence. I had the chicken and rice vs. the pasta. It was very good.

As the movie was broken, everyone got up, took a bathroom break, and talked with each other. I discovered then, from Marg, that she, and 3 others almost didn't get on this flight. They weren't issued boarding passes in Ottawa, which we thought was odd, and we discovered that was because the plane was overbooked (why do airlines do this???). God was with us though, and they were all given a seat...a miracle considering this flight was full from the get go.
We are all now hunkered back in our seats, the movies are on....and the plane is quiet. We are due to arrive in Lima about 25 minutes early, but that doesn't mean we will get through customs any faster...and there's that wonderful customs form to fill out before we land....I can visualize all the questions coming at me already.....what do we put in this box? What's our flight number? Etc.. etc., I love being in charge sometimes...... : )
I'll write more when we land, before going to bed, and post an entry in the morning...I hope, or sometime during the day, since I'll have continuous internet access this year.

It's now 1:44 am.  I have internet access, though slow, so the picture download takes a bit of time.  However, it's 24/7 so that helps. 

Our flight into Lima was good. I ended up answering many questions RE the customs forms, but it was all good, as we sailed through customs.  We arrived a bit early and disembarked from the plane.  We had a good flight and lots of fun with the stewards and stewardesses. 

As soon as you stepped off the plane you could feel the heat and humidity.  Nice and warm as I remembered it.  We went into the customs line, and things went well.

Then it was time to pick up our luggage and head to the green light, or red light line up.  Green light, means you go through, red light means your luggage is checked.  I was due for a red light, but alas, no one was red lighted this time.

We met up with Clint, just before heading out.  Clint is a person from Alabama that's joining us for the trip.  He comes from another church that Frontline has worked with for years.  We welcomed him and moved into the reception area.  Tonnes of people greeting all kinds of passengers. 

I met Erin and Pepe and we boarded our buses.  One bus for luggage, the other for people.  I went with Pepe in his car and we caught up on life. 

We arrived at the hostel, rearranged some rooms and people began to settle in.  We met in the large meeting area (pictures to come tomorrow)  and went over some minor details.  Then it was off to bed for everyone....while I waited for internet access on this laptop to be hooked up.

Below are some pics of the day.  Enjoy them.  I'll have some brief comments, and then it's off to bed. 



My brother and sister in law, Edith and Carl. 




In the Ottawa Airport passing the time.




Getting to know each other. 


Gerry!   Love that smile. 




People just relaxing, and drinking their Tim's coffee for the last time for a while.




The youth hanging out and playing games. 



Wilma relaxing with her coffee.  She's been a great caregiver to the group already...especially me!  : )


 This is Colin's fourth trip to Peru.  He and I are the only ones who have gone on every trip.  I'm not sure what one would be like without him. 




Edith and Carl and Corinne doing their devo's....


John with daughter Tobie resting.  Apparently she is coming down with a cold...we will monitor that. 




More journal time. 




It took a bit of time, but eventually people caught on that the journals needed to be done. 



Nicole and Marsha discussing the Devotion's I presume?  : )



The youth all quiet for a bit, doing devotions.  We have to get them mingling more.  : )



Chris relaxing with his coffee and the others settling in while waiting for the plane. 


 How's it going Ben! 



 That's Ian under that hat.  Jeannine is writing in her journal here, I think. 



 Brenda and Colin.  Apparently he won a muffin.....




A more natural pose. 


Coming off the airplane and entering Lima Customs. 




Baggage claim time. 


Lots and Lots of bags to claim....hey, I think I see my large suitcase...still intact.  I wasn't sure if our luggage was going to make the connection, as it was pretty tight, but it all did this time.... PTL. 



The usual site that greets us as we come out of immigration.  Lots and lots of people.  I told Clint that they were all here for him.....he didn't know what to do with that at first....  : ) 



As you enter this area, lots of people want you to take a taxi, or buy a cell phone plan.  Interesting stuff. 



Happy reunions.  Who is that greeting Erin....???


 Is that Leah hugging Erin...and there's Pepe in the back ground right.  Had and purple shirt.  A strapping Peruvian wouldn't you say....  ?  : )




Marg, middle, has been here three times now.  Daughter, left, Corinne, first time....Erin, right....a long time.  : )


 Here's the group waiting for me to come out with Clint. You could easily get lost, or distracted here, so I was extra vigilant, having experience with stolen issues in the past. 







Time to walk to the buses and line up to put luggage on. 



Cute buses this year. 


 Gerry and Marsha...we made it!!!!  : )




A great Cola billboard. 



 A statue on our way to the Hostel.

So, there is day one completed.  Day two will come sometime in the evening of Saturday.  We meet Pastor Sergio and the children in a few hours.....

Blessings and talk to you soon.


19 comments:

samantha said...

Hi! I hope you guys are having fun! I am only posting this comment because Lucy told me to post one everyday. mabey not quite everyday because they would all sound the same. "hi, hope you are having a good time"
-samantha

Anonymous said...

when are you coming home?

Anonymous said...

Considering where Fontana was sitting, I was glad she did not throw up for 2 reasons - one because, well, I would not want her to have that experience and two because she usually pikes forward so that would have landed right on Ron? Oh Fontana!!! Turbulence reminds you how awesome it is to be able to pray but not fun at all!!!!!!! I am glad no luggage was lost and you all made it safe and sound. I can't wait to read tomorrows post. I miss you!!! Nancy Donnelly

Joanne said...

You're fortunate they let you board for the tight connection. When I was coming back from France, they told me I couldn't take my connecting flight. I went through customs and arrived at the boarding area on time, so I felt upset about this, but they'd already changed me to a much later flight. As you said, God was with you :) Hope the flight wasn't too turbulent for the first-time flyers. Have a wonderful week :)

Andrea W. said...

Hi all! Glad to see you arrived ok. If there are two comments from me, blame google as it didn't seem to save my first entry.
God bless you all with good health, safety and safe travels as you do HIS work in Peru.
-Andrea Ward

On a personal note - Hi Madii!! Love you monkey! Have a great time and we'll see you soon. (look in your bag for a surprise) Love Mom.

Robert Walker said...

Glad that all made it safe and sound - was tracking the flight and noticed the late departure from ottawa and was hoping it didnt cause a problem in Newark - Enjoy your week and embrace all of the challenge you have been given - God bless all of you - Robert Walker

Brittany W said...

So glad everything went fairly smoothly on the trip south! Miss you all already and hope day 1 is a blast :) Love you Mom and Brad!

Mary Jane Burrows said...

Michael Smith ... you were absent from school yesterday during periods 1 and 3 and at school for periods 2 and 4 ... HOW DID YOU DO THAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julia said...

Hi Di, Steven & the gang.!
Sounds like it was a long day! Hope you got some sleep! I was printing a picture when i realized that your memory card was in my computer, i hope you figured that out at the airport so that you could buy another one, im sorry, i forgot to give it back to you after we printed those pictures thursday night!
Guess what!? We got 5 inches of snow last night.! I bet your glad you missed that!:)
PS. This for you Gerry, keep an eye on Steve Girard( bird nest).! We are thinking about you guys and keeping you in our prayers.:) we are on our way to Ottawa again.
Talk to you later.!:)

Nicole said...

I have the best looking parents! I'm glad you all got there safely. I would love it if you could let my family know that I'm doing just great and that I love them! (and that I did really well on my last midterm) Praying for you all and I can't wait to see today's post!
Nicole

Joycegina Hosmar said...

Hello to all 5 of my relatives in Peru. May you all get the sleep you need and enjoy the time you have with the team.

Kyle, keep an eye out for any withdrawal symptoms Chris may have. There may be others who also have the same problem now that their smart phone is no longer with them at all times. :)

Love you all,
~Joycegina

annette said...

Hi John,Tobie,Ben, and Lucy!!! It sure is quiet here without you.
Tobie keep taking those cold affect pills. Ben you owe me 2 games of settlers.
Love the blog so far. Ciao

Annette/mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Wilma/Mom and Chris,
Wilma/Mom - come home quick, we can't find anything.
Chris - You're awesome. Have fun.
From Daniel - David took me to a 67s game and we had seats in the suites. :)
From Caralynn - We miss you.
From Rosalynn - We will keep you posted on the latest Heartland news. ;)

Lindsey Levasseur said...

Glad to hear you made it there safely! Hope youre having a blast!

Things are fine here, miss you like crazy, had perfect snowman weather today so youre gonna owe me one when you get home, love you Brad! :)

Nancy Waldroff said...

Hey all:

I have been trying to send a message and haven't figured it out yet. I am glad that you made it safe and sound. Get lots of rest, and have fun.

Lots of love,

Nancy and Garnet Waldroff

Garnet Waldroff said...

Hello to All:
sounds like you got off to a bumpy start no pun intended.Hope your second day was a great day I'm sure you got a lot accomplished.Can't wait for the next blog God bless you all for the work you are doing.Say hi to Alyson love you girl missyou lots.

Anonymous said...

To the Youth Group,

Dairy Queen opened today on Merivale Road ....

Anonymous said...

hi leah
yes - we are reading this have had a tough time posting comments for some reason
be blessed
be happy
be tanned - but not burnt!
dad

ron: said...

hey ron,

is this where the gamaliel church is?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?rlz=1T4SKPT_enCA449CA449&q=f&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&sa=N&tab=wl

where is the building you guys are living in? copy coordinates if you want. it'll give us folks back home the roads you travel back and forth everyday. thanks andrew