Sunday, March 18, 2012

Post Peru 2012 - Day 10 - Sunday and a bit of Saturday with Chris and Ron

It's Sunday afternoon now, and time to talk about yesterday and today. 

Thanks to some of you from our Peru team who have emailed me and thanked me for this Learning Opportunity in your life.  It means a lot to me to hear that.  

If you want to post any comments on the blog, by all means, do so.  : ) 

Below are some pics and through them I'll describe our time here.  




When I left you yesterday, we were about to start lunch.  Here are Pepe and Chris using their technology.  It was neat to watch us all in the Condo here.  Erin had her MacBook, Chris his iPod, Pepe his HP computer, and I was working on mine.  Funny.    


This is part of our lunch. On the right, left over potatoes that will become french fries.  On the left...MANGO'S, and yes Colin, they REALLY are mango's.  : ) 


Erin made us rice, and chicken with Estofado. Delicious.  


Tennis was on the TV and Pepe LOVES Tennis, so his attention was definitely divided.  


After I finished yesterday's blog, we went for a walk to the ocean.  It was a long way down. 


Nice.....

Beautiful cliffs.  


This is the walkway we went down....and will have to go up.  : ) 


Chris put his feet in the ocean.  You can't see it here, but a huge wave came and soaked him....(tee,hee).  


Here he is looking a bit wetter than when he started his walk.  


A touching moment between father and son.....


A nice sunset in Peru.  






Para gliding.  Cool, but not something I would do.  : ) 

A wonderful sunset, and more pics from Chris to follow.  






This is the building housing Pepe and Erin's home.  They are on the 9th floor.  

After our walk we went out for dinner.  I wanted to bless Pepe and Erin with a little bit fancier dinner than normal because of all the hard work they do for us.  We went to El Hornero's.  A two story, VERY old wooden structure. 


As we were waiting for our food, Chris took one of his many time delayed evening shots.  




Here's a picture of the inside of the restaurant.  Amazing.
We ordered steak, and boy was there A LOT of it.  Just look at that.....AMAZING, and the best steak I've tasted in a very long time.  Yes, I ate it all, as well as delicious bread with sauces, and a Potato with cheese, and dessert.  Pepe brought a bottle of wine from home, and no corking fee was charged.  Nice!  Pepe LOVES meat... he was very satisfied. 



Here are the four of us enjoying a relaxing evening together.  


Tennis was on, and I know Pepe really wanted to watch it.  I did too, so after our meal we migrated to another table to watch the last set.  Federer won.    


Here we are watching.....Erin and Pepe look so cute.  


This is the staircase to the 2nd floor.  An amazing place.  


Chris went to the roof after dinner to catch some night shots.  



After dinner we watched "In Time" until about midnight.  A really good movie that I'd like our youth to see....lots of levels of stuff to discuss.  

I woke up at 8 am, unable to sleep any longer.  We were going to have Internet church at 10 am, so I spent a couple of hours going back over the blog entries and correcting spelling errors...there were a few... : ) 

At 10 am we had church and watched it on the Internet.  A church in Florida.  It was good.  Pepe made us all breakfast, but the picture didn't turn out well, so we'll try for tomorrow....  : ) 

After church Erin and Pepe gave Chris and I warm up jackets with FrontLine logo's on them.  There are VERY nice.  Thanks you two.  Nice touch. 

Just before lunch, I cleared up paying for the Soccer Jersey's, and gave the funds we had designated for the feeding program, as well as funds that Brenda had received from people in her workplace.  The total for the feeding program came to $560 USD.  Cool. 

We also talked about a way to bless Sergio and Falicitas in general because of all the work they do for the church.  I became aware that their daughter, Genesis, who is 4 years old, still sleeps in a crib.  She had no bed.  After some discussions, I decided to give some funds from our group, and some from Brenda's fund raising, to purchase a bed for Genesis. So, part of the funds we raised will be going to buy Genesis a bed, mattress, sheets, and pillow. Anything left over will be used to get Genesis some nice clothes or some toys.  I thought you would approve Peru group....  : ) 


At 12:30 we left to meet Sergio, Falicitas, Roger, Samuel and Janet for lunch. I wanted to hear about Sergio's vision for doing a mission trip with his church, and how his studies were going.  I talked with Falicitas as well about her thoughts of the teaching time.  

Here we are about to eat lunch.  I wasn't that hungry as the steak from last night was still evident in my stomach...I know....TMI  : ) 


Here are Sergio and I in discussions about the church with Erin translating.  
Sergio gave us gifts.  These two plates are for John B and Nick V.  You'll be getting them when I get back.  They are very nice.  I received some gifts for Katrina, Sarah, and Joycegina, and also for those who hosted Sergio back in April of 2011.  He's such a thoughtful man.   


We wanted to bless Sergio as well, and we did that in a couple of ways.
  
1.  Pastor Steve E. wanted to get Sergio new shoes, so I purchased them with Sergio.....he was so happy to receive them.  (I'll need $85 USD back from you now Steve....  : ) ) 

2.  A girl in Cornwall did a fundraiser for Peru (I think), and we gave Sergio that money  ($37 s)  to help him with his bus fare, as he studies in Lima and it's an expense he struggles with.  Thank you for that.

3.  We also learned that Sergio is in studies to further his theological education.  He travels to Lima often, but his book bag is worn out.  I decided to get him a new one.  




Here's Chris in front of the iStore in Peru.  He tried to take some pics inside, but was told he couldn't.   They asked him if he spoke English, just before taking the picture...he said yes...they said...no photo's then. 



This is the bag we ended up getting for Sergio.  It's a computer bag, which he can use to transport his books, and the laptop that was donated, if he wishes to.  He was very happy with his new shoes and bag.  I was too, and couldn't help dancing about it....and I see Chris caught it....  : ) 

It was truly a joy to be able to bless him.  I'll be giving Erin some funds to be able to bless Falicitas as well, since we just couldn't figure out what to get her, and she didn't want to tell us because she was just thankful for our presence there.  

We are now watching soccer, and will soon go out for dinner with Roger and Samuel and Janet....They were around for lunch as well.  

Tomorrow is our visit with Keysi, and I'll be blogging that later on in the evening.  Until then....then....  : ) 


6 comments:

Andrea W. said...

Hi Ron & Chris! Great idea of giving the money for Genesis' bed and bedding. Madii fully approved!
Its great to see your pictures and get a glimpse of your time together. So nice for the two of you to have this time together. Enjoy every minute of it!
Great pictures Chris! You have a great eye for photography.

Loved the ocean pictures, we were just taking about the coastline tonight so I am glad to see some pictures of it.

All the best on your travels home!
Andrea, Madii & Kyle Ward

Katrina said...

Daddy,
Don't eat so much. It's not good for you. I love you and I want a hug!!
~Katrina

Mel Rowaan said...

Ron, that is a perfect way to use the money. Genesis will have that as a reminder of us for a long time, and will put it to great use!
And I agree with Katrina don't eat too much lol :P but the pictures of steak made me go out and buy steak for dinner tonight, we need the protein for sure :)
Also I know a lot of the kids watched in Time on the plane and were talking about it. Even Ian watched it and said he would re-watch it because of what it was all talking about.
I hope you guys have a great time seeing your sponsor kids.
I gave Sarah a hug at the airport when I got there.
Also you guys missed a good sermon on Sunday, I journaled about it so you will get the review :P
Keep safe!
Mel

s said...

Hey guys, I wanted to tell you that I approve of the idea of the bed. I also watched In Time on the plane and I think that it would be a good idea ro talk. I liked your night shots Chris.
Chris

Dianne Kuipers said...

Thank you so much for doing some extra shopping, Ron and Gang!! We know Julia will definitely appreciate it!!

Looking forward to seeing you on the weekend in Cornwall... God's blessings as you travel home.

Dianne

Jeannine said...

I also approve of the purchases! I miss Peru a lot!

Great pictures, Chris...you should consider a future in photography :)

Jean