Thursday, March 15, 2012

Peru 2012 - Day 6 - Wednesday

Day 6.  We are in the home stretch. 

Only two more sleeps and the group is off to the airport...with Chris and I staying a couple of days longer. 

Today is  more of an easy day.  We've done these trips 4 times now, and I find that at times I have packed the schedule a bit too much.  It takes a lot out of people.  This year I decided to sacrifice one morning of work and visits to allow for some recovery time.  I think it was a good trade off.  As we evaluate, I will find out if the rest of the team liked the idea as well. 

So, this morning breakfast was at 9 am.  Many people were up before then, but relaxing doing their devo journals or just talking.

We had another great breakfast, and then it was time for Zack and devotions, and for me to read the blog comments.  I actually find them more fun than reading my own blog...(well, not really).  They take a good 15 minutes to read, but they sure are entertaining...especially the ones from Hannah and Rosy.....keep them coming.  : )

This morning we had to finish our video blogs from the night before.  That happened just after breakfast, but before gathering together..... Group number 4, my group, was the only one yet to do it.  I sat in for a change, having nothing to do on the blog. 

I love these times because it gives the groups a chance to unpack what has been happening during the week.  Some are more engaged than others, but it's all good. 

Today I was once again reminded that I said these Learning Opportunities are a gift from God.  We receive this gift, and the challenge is to unpack it and then use it, not letting it sit on a shelf. Dianne honestly said she hasn't even unpacked the first Learning Opportunity from 2 years ago, but is hoping to do more of that this time around.

The other comment that struck me was a discussion on the Holy Spirit.  Each time we come here, we talk about the H.S. and how He works in our Hearts and lives.  We see him active and moving...but when we go home, we stop talking about him, and don't see him working near as much....I think for our group the challenge is to talk more about the H.S. and watch for him working more concretely. 

After we were done our group time, several people finished their devotional journals, and the 3 amigas met with Jeannine for a video blog time.  I look forward to watching more about the teaching sessions and how things are going. 

Just a couple more clerical items to take care of to get people off my back here......  ": )

1.  Peter, your son Chris would like you to make sure the trampoline is up BEFORE he gets home...(I can hear you laughing and laughing). 

2.  Nancy, Fontana wants to go the party....(but I warn you she will be VERY tired and probably fall asleep). Joy, something about a necklace...I didn't quite get it all.   

3.  A happy Bday goes out to Blake's sister because he asked me to do that....touching...I think I did that already, but hey, twice is ok.

4.  John wants all to know that the reason Brad is not in many shots is because of the Montreal Canadian hat he continues to wear, even though we tell him to get a different hat.

I also wanted to update you all on the progress of the Christian School.  When we were here two years the school was still in its infancy....with 70.....now there are 113 students from SK to grade 6.  They were fun to watch as we were welcomed.

The city of Pachacutec has been growing as well.....from 200,000 two years ago to 300,000 today.  We who have been here before certainly notice that there are more cars and people and homes. 

At 11:15 am we left for Pachacutec.  I sat in the back of the bus this time with Carl and we talked.  Always lots to joke and talk about....when he is serious that is!  : )  It sure is bumpier and hotter back there.

We arrived in Pachacutec by 12:50 pm and had lunch.  It was weird having lunch without feeling dirty, sweaty and tired.  It didn't seem to taste as good for me... 

Right now everyone is out playing with the children, with a few die hards doing some construction work on the walkway.  Some just can't get enough of that hard work.

After our time here we will be having dinner, and then going to the water fountains like the last time.  A time to relax and cool off.  It should be fun.

Pics to come soon.....until then......

Ok, back again.....it's 10:20 pm.  Everyone is taking showers after being in the fountains.  We had a great VBS time again with 90 kids present.  Lots of dancing to the songs, and story time and craft time.  The kids love the crafts, and Janet is great at making sure we stay on time. 

The teachers had another great session day, and are saddened that tomorrow will already be the last day. 

We arrived back home at 6:10, and ate dinner. Today it was small potatoes, rice, and we think pork.  Yummy. 

Then it was off to the fountains.  It's always a challenge to make sure that we don't forget anyone, and today that proved to be very true.  As I was rounding up people to get on the bus,  I saw Wilma walk by me and head off to it.  I eventually made it there (we went out the front gate and walked around the block outside the compound this time).  You needed to take a right turn at the exit....Wilma thought we were all walking through the courtyard.....She realized it, but not soon enough. 

Pepe asked me if we had everyone, and I said YES, and we took off. About 5 minute into the ride, Pepe gets a call from Wilma at the hostel.  She wasn't on the bus....I laughed....no one missed her, and I assumed she was on the bus because I saw her go by me. 

We turned around and picked her up, but lots of people are going to be bugging her about this one.....being a group leader and all. 

Ah, they give me all kinds of blog material. 

On the ride to the park I sat with Ian and Fontana.  What a hoot. Apparently the two of them have struck up a friendship....of who can ware the other down first.  I got into it with Fontana, and she sure can be fiesty.  I'll leave it at that. 

We had lots of fun at the water fountain park. We watched the laser show, and got to get wet at the fountains.  I knew I'd be getting wet, and it only took 5 minutes before the hugs started, so I went in.

It was nice to have a more relaxing day.  Tomorrow is the final day in Pachacutec for the group.  It will be raining once again there with all the tears that are shed.

I'll have to be the bad guy again in trying to get people to leave on time.....never a fun job, but at times, leading can be lonely.  :)

Today was a good day.  A more restful day.  Enjoy the pics that are now up and coming.   


 Good morning Kyle.  What a lovely face you have in the morning. 

 Doing morning devotions before breakfast.  What a well trained bunch of sheep....  : )

 Corinne, Colin and Clint...the 3 c's all just hanging out together. 

 For you who love flowers (I confess that's not me), John took some more for you.  A Rosemary

 A Habiscus

 and a beautiful Rose 

 This is Michael's foot.  He scraped it pretty good on some concrete and wanted you to see it Mary-Jane so you could worry about him.  Don't worry though, Wilma is taking good care of him, as is Brenda.


 Now this is a site for sore eyes. Lori Ann not only forgets to put her shoes on when going out, she forgets to get proper clothes on.....get DRESSED already.....  : )


 Zack doing the video blogs. Thanks for your help Zack.


 Someone bought a game of baseball from the dollar store, and a game broke out this morning in the compound. 


 Ben hit a home run.


Mother and daughter.  It has been nice for them to be together on this trip. 


 The never ending traffic in Lima.  Like pouring sand out of a jar...eventually it all works itself out....


 A taxi fueled by Propane...see the tank in the back.  Propane is a fraction of the cost of gas.

 
 Chris B isn't looking to happy at Gamaliel church.....


 A pepper that Pastor Sergio is growing in his garden. 


Ground cover foilage...don't ask me what it is, and John didn't know either...but it is pretty. 


 Many building have re-bar stiking out of end of posts.  That is so that they can add a second story to a structure.  Often times that takes a long time....and in Gamaliels case, that will more than likely be true too. 

 The sun has not been nice to some faces...mostly because they think that a bandana around the head will suffice in keeping the sun off.  The price you pay for that is looking like your nose has a disease.  What is that white stuff...


 Dianne getting ready for the teaching time. 


 Play Ball!!!


 More beautiful children smiling...






 Lucy hit a home run...maybe?


 We pulled out the skipping ropes today..


 Alyson.....playing baseball?

 Coco trying to hit the ball.


 Corinne decided to take a short nap in the sun...in the sand....

 John, this is a neat picture of Jeaninne skipping with a child. 


 I think Jeannine likes to skip. 


 Ian got into it as well. He's so good, he could do it while carrying a child. 


 People walking down the road often stop to watch what is going on at Gamaliel church when the "gringo's" are in town. 


 Even though we had a 1/2 day at the church today...and we didn't do an morning activities, some couldn't resist the opportunity to help with some construction work.  Here are Carl and Clint helping mix concrete. 


Colin handing the concrete to a worker.  I'm not sure what they were doing today..making some sort of rock wall. 




 Here it is...put the rocks down, and pour the concrete over it. 


 More of the boys helping out mixing concrete.


 Gerry and Brenda having fun together..as always. 


 More skipping...always a hit!


 Ian, your neck looks kinked....


 Nice pick of your daughter and one of the younger VBS attenders.

 Steve continues to enjoy his time here.  Nice to see him having soooo much fun. 


 Tobie, that's a bit high don't you think?


 Cute....


 Carrying concrete bags up the hill.  Not light bags either...


 Samuel giving directions...just like a foreman.  : )


The ladies teaching the teachers again.  They had another great day. 





 Coco trying to walk....not easy with kids hanging off you at all times. 


 Seems it doesn't bother Jackie much.


 Time to sing once again at VBS. 


 Everyone gets into it.



Even shy little Mina!  : )  


 The kids love the songs. 


 Drama/Puppet time with Mel, Maria, and Leah.


 Clint is having a great time with our group.  It's really nice that he's here.  He liked meeting all of us and getting to know us....You're a good man Clint.


 Time to get ready for crafts.  Everyone in your circles. 


 Some needed more help than others...leave it to Fontana to be in the thick of it. 


 Zack, you'll make a great father some day.



Alyson...are you paying attention...  : )






 In circles doing the crafts.


 What do I do?


 Cutie....


 No, you can't take these two home Lucy and Tobie...I know that's what you are thinking. 

 Lots of kids got this sort of ride from the boys. 


 Hey, I took the time to stop videoing and get into the songs at the end of VBS. I see John noticed. 


 Final songs before leaving....



 Time to head out of the church and on to the bus to head back to the Hostel. 


 The procession. 


These workers work long after we leave.  We see the changes when we come back the next day.





 At the fountain park. 


 Ben, Tobie, and Lucy...actually getting along.  : ) Nah, they did very well together this week. 


 That's interesting. 


 So is that. 


 and this...


 There was a 20 minute show using water fountains and laser technology.  It wasn't bad.





 More neat shots at the fountains.


 In the fountains....








 You are allowed in a large fountain area to get wet...it was a hoot. 


 Sorry Jeannine, you aren't going to stay dry doing that!


A group shot of some who got soaked...and yes,  I did too, but not by choice.....  : )

That's it for now.  Tomorrow is another day......until then...keep those blog comments coming gang...





29 comments:

Garnet said...

1:00 am night shift at work. Today will be a hard day for the group the goodbyes.I understand what you mean Pastor Ron when we are in a group doing Gods work it seems to be so easy to keep talking about the H.S.but when we get back to our homes we change. How do we change that.Have a great last day and we see you in Ottawa on Sat. Take care God Bless SO PROUD OF ALL YOU :) <3

Nancy said...

Love the shot of Mrs. Bouwman!! so glad that everyone got to see that. I have even been blessed with her in her pjs at my house at 6:30am for coffee. Enjoy your last day. It may be your last day on their soil, but not in their hearts.

love to all, especially Alyson Mary Jane Waldroff.

Annette said...

Hi Yvonne. Look forward to hearing about your time there. And you marg? You look great oon the pics. Must be going well. John, Ben, Tobie and Lucy, Calvin is still here. THe house looks a little different but Lucy don't get too excited. Decluttering is taking longer than I hoped. Have a good trip home. We will continue to pray.

Annette

Liam said...

Hi Dada,
I miss my human jungle gym. I am eating my Cheerios ...wait, make that WAS eating my Cheerios. I dumped my bowl overboard when mama got up to get me some "Anana". Milk and Cheerios everywhere. Mama doesn't seem as excited by my accomplishment. Anyway, can't wait until you are home. Ben says "agoo" and mama says she loves you.
Liam

Marsha said...

Hi Ron, Edith, Carl, Christopher and Kyle,

I am glad to read and see that you are all having a wonderful time. It will be good to hear from you about your personal experiences when you are back home. We pray that you will have safe travel.

Marsha and Paul

Hannah said...

The fountain pictures look so cool! ... but Tobie .. did you steal my shirt? I'll get you back for that. ;)
Could you please tell Megan that my hair is getting REALLY long ... and could use a cut .. real soon?

I hope your last day is a great one!
Still praying for you guys!

Hannah

Anonymous said...

Hi Marg and Corinne:

Great photo of you two. Looks like you enjoyed the time there and it was a blessing for both of you. Have a safe trip home.

Your brother, Gerry.

Rosy said...

On a more serious note than some of my previous comments....
I thought that by this time in the week you could all use some encouragement:
"The he [a teacher of the law, Gamaliel] addressed them: "Men of Israel, consider carefully what you intend to do to these men... Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail. But if it is from God, you will not be able to stop these men; you will only find yourselves fighting against God." .... The apostles lest the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name."
-Acts 5:35,38-39,41
So I know you're probably all tired and sunburnt and filthy, but keep on going! You guys are amazing and God is with you!
Love, Rosy

Lindsey L said...

Heeey Bradley! This week has gone by pretty fast and it's hard to believe today is your last day in Peru, seems like yesterday you were rushing to finish packing and your mom was weighing each bag trying to fit every last item she could haha!

Miss you so much, but this blog is helping out immensily, thanks Pastor Ron!

Can't wait to see you on Saturday Brad! And by the way my dad gave Brad that hat so I think he refuses to take it off in hopes he'll score some "Brownie-Points" with him LOL!

Miss you Brad, see you soon! :)
Lindsey xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone,
Hello Leah!

From everything I read ( yes ron I read your blog) and the pictures, it looks like your time in Preu is richly blessed.

Leah it was wonderful to see you with puppets again!!!!
Can't wait to see you in two sleeps.

Carmen

Anonymous said...

Michael,

You looks like you are having fun and working hard. God bless you.

Evelyn

Andrea W. said...

Hi everyone! The fountain pics were really great - loved the 'heart' poses!
Can't wait to see you all at the airport on Saturday, but I know you are going to miss your new friends in Peru. Enjoy your last days, stay safe in the markets when you go shopping and we'll see you at the airport!
Love ya Madii!!!!!!
- Mom & Kyle

Peter said...

Christopher - as you wish. The trampoline is up and ready for you. But Mom goes first.
Dad.

Anonymous said...

A group comment from the Donnellys:

Sawyer says "Fontana I love you and I miss you"

Joy says "I miss you and I am thinking about you every day. I hope you have a safe trip home and I love you"

Dad says "I open the door and look in and you're not there. Sometimes it is hard to catch my breath and get air.
But then I realize you're on a mission and God has a plan for you.
And I'm so happy so I'm gonna say "Yahoo".
As a parent it is hard to let go.
But God will guide you this I know because my bible tells me so"
Your dad loves you - Stop Drop and Roll. Pop Pop

Mom says "ok, so I was hoping you'd be too tired to go to the party. If you'd read between the lines you would have perceived that you're my excuse to stay home. You'd need me to do your laundry and just watch you sleep - right?? I don't have industrial ear plugs and I don't know if I can live through another Donnelly gathering....."

Dunovan is at work but if he were here he would say something like: "the cats threw up in one of your shoes. We are not telling you which one and we did not clean it up".

Love you!!!!!! The Donnellys

Mary Jane Burrows said...

Michael,

This is your mother. Saw the picture of your foot. Paramedics will be waiting for you at the airport .... Ben can hitch a ride if he wants too!!!!!!!!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to keep seeying all the pictures and updates everyday. It looks that everyone involved has been having a great time. We hope that you will have another good few days and a bit smoother trip back!!
Many seeds have been planted in the "short" time that you have all been there.
p.s. If there is a special presentation by the group when you come back, we would love to come to listen and hear about all your stories. Please let us know if there is going to be a presentation but if you want us to be there don't leave it up to Ian to let us know.... The Barkema's

Joycegina Hosmar said...

Zack,
I know you didn't get any comments yet, so I will do one for you. I really like the photos of you and the kids. Ron says you will be a good father one day, but I would say try being an uncle first. It's just as much fun and you don't have to have the responsibility of taking care of them 24/7.

mike adema said...

Hey guys!
my cornwall doods, mom, dad, nicole, aunt lori ann, colin and everyone else!!! looks like you are having a great time! ... Dad nice peanutbutter tower as the usual.. kuip. nice sunblock nose. hot stuff. ;)

God Bless guys!!!! keep it goin :)

Mike adema said...

Hey everyone! my cornwall doods, mom, dad, nicole aunt lori ann, colin! looks like you guys are having an amazing time! Dad: nice peanutbutter tower - beautiful as usual. Kuip: nice sunblock nose. drop. dead. gorgeous.

Keep up the great work guys!!! and may God continue to bless you and the Peruvians!

Mike.

caralynn said...

Mom, PLEASE come home soon! Daniel and dad are soooooo disgusting!

Chris, you can stay in Peru... you are not much better! The trampoline is set up though... YAY!!!

Julia said...

Heey guys.:)
Sorry i didnt't post a comment yesterday, i went shopping with Anneka during the day and stayed over at karly's last night. I am now eating with dad and i am heading back to karly's to sleepover again with Anneka.!:)
GUESS WHAT.!? this saturday, it's going to be 21 degrees. yayayayyaya.!:) I hope every thing is going well and i hoped you enjoyed the fountains.!:)
Keeping you in our prayers and can't wait to see you.!:)
Love Julia

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole;
Hi mommy, I'm having a great time with babcia and grampa, but I do miss you.
Have a safe trip home.
Love; Braydon

thanks for keeping us informed with the blog, Ron

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Your PaPa would be very proud of you. Children of our days never had this opportunity to see the world and help others. When you return you will be a changed boy.

I read the blog and look at the pictures everyday ... your mother or Zoe bring their laptops over to Park Place. Zoe printed off some pictures that I show to the staff.

I want to adopt all those children in the pictures. They are so precious.

I love you and miss you very much. Nanny xxoo

Anonymous said...

For those from Ottawa we just had a thunder and lightening storm with abit of hail .... there is a tornado watch in Windsor ....

Jacob said...

Hey Guys,
Good job at Peru! You've all done splendidly, and we're looking forward to having you all home. Papa #2 (that's Ron) you have done another organizational masterpiece with this trip, and the blog entries were fantastic. I'm glad I've kept it as my home page for so long.
I hope everyone has a safe flight home, and that Ron and Chris have a good few days in Peru!
-Jacob

Anonymous said...

Hi Mikey

Really enjoying reading your blog every day. You are truly doing wonderful work. At White Lake tonight we had hail the size of quarters!! ... But it is suppose to be very hot this weekend.

Safe trip home.

Love Aunt Nancy and Uncle Derek
Ruff Ruff DUDE !!!!!!!!

Nicole said...

Hi Dad, Mom, and Kyle,
I hope you enjoy your last day tomorrow. I cannot wait to hear all about your trip. Don't forget to take some last minute pictures for me!
I love you so much!
Nicole

Joycegina Hosmar said...

John,

Just so you know, Katrina and I really like the flower photos. Keep them coming if you can.

By the way, isn't Rozemary spelled Rosemary, and Habiscus spelled Hibiscus.

Brittany said...

Mom and Brad,

I SUPPOSE I still miss you. I know I haven't said that very much, but I do ;) I hope you enjoy your last bit of time in Peru and savour every moment of it. I can't wait to see you and hear your stories.

Love you!
Britt