Friday, November 18, 2011

Leaf Raking for Peru Team - Nov 5th

After our evening concert fundraiser, some of us got up early and travelled to the outskirts of Ottawa to rake the leaves at Brian and Ruth's place.  We've done this in the past.  They pay us for doing this.  It's no small feat, as you will see.  


 A group of us arrived about 9:15 AM.  John, Ben, Tobie, and Lucy had arrived a bit earlier because they needed to leave earlier due to a basket ball game. 


 Now you need to know that there are a lot of leaves on this property.  A thick layer that takes some time to clean up.  This group worked hard this morning, for sure. 



 I borrowed a very nice gas powered blower from Fontana's dad.  I gotta get me one of these.  Amazing, fun, and all around cool to use.  : ) 


 Fontana wanted to use it, but NO WAY was I going to let her do that.  She needed to WORK for her pay.  : )  She's doing a great job of that here.  



 Everyone worked hard to get that front yard cleaned up.  It was a beautiful day for leaf raking.  


 Apparently Brian has a leaf blower too, so John used that one.  Ah, toys for the boys.  : )  


 Here are John and I helping those doing the raking by hand. Like kids in a candy shop.  


 John's nicer than me.  He let Ben use the blower, eventually.  : ) 


 As you can see from the backyard, there are a lot of leaves to rake.  At least there was no dog poop this time to contend with.  


 Megan looking at me wanting to use the leaf blower too...NO WAY!  : )  


 Ok, Ok, so eventually I softened and let Fontana use the leaf blower and I raked.  She was pouting...what could I do!  


 We used a large tarp to move the leaves.  Easy, and less work than using garbage cans.  We just placed all the leaves in the back corner of the yard.  


 Megan eventually got her way as well. 


 There were LOTS of leaves.  We ended up simply walking them over to the pile because they were so thick. It was easier than raking.  



 The remaining group sitting in the pile of leaves.  Whew, a lot of work, but rewarding to see it completed.  


 Fontana jumped in and was covered.  She's in there somewhere...can you find her?


 The boys jumping in.  Nice air.  


 Megan and Fontana did not want to be outdone so they jumped in too.  



 The finished front yard.....


 ...and back yard.  Nice Job everyone! 


 Ruth, far right, rewarded everyone with hot chocolate and brownies.  Gaelen looks very happy.  : ) 


 The house was warm in the sunshine, and it looks like Fontana has succumbed to being relaxed and cozy.  She fell asleep pretty quickly in that chair.  




The boys relaxing around the table, finishing off all the brownies. 



Oh, I think Fontana got hold of my camera again.  I gotta keep that away from her.  



I drove my crew home.  They are a strange bunch, but I like them.  Thanks for all your hard work.  Your reward??? The cheque is in the mail...............  : ) 

No comments: