Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Council Retreat Day at Calvin - Saturday, September 17th

On Saturday, September 17, Calvin's council hosted a one day seminar on Nurturing Spiritual Growth in Community. 




In addition to Council members, members of the congregation were invited.  We had a nice sized crowd.  



Lucy Van Wyk was our speaker for the day. She gave us information on how to do Pastoral Care in loving ways.   




A nice table with a candle, flowers and some incents, I think, were placed in the centre of the group.  It made things feel calmer and more relaxed for the day.  


We were put to work with various exercises having to do with Pastoral Care.  We had quite a good discussion on some issues that pushed our coffee time way back.  : )    


Here we are at coffee time stretching our legs and minds.  


It was soon time for lunch.  
Lots of great soups and other items to partake of.  


I came over to take some pictures, and Joycegina was pointing at Leo.  Apparently he has a great way to eat his soup......



hmmm....interesting.  
I wonder if his mother taught him this......  : )  



Lots of great fellowship around the tables and then it was back to work for some more discussion time.  

For those of you who couldn't make it, some questions were asked in an evaluation sheet, and I've placed the answers to those questions below.  I hope it gives you a taste of what went on that day.  If you have any further questions as to what was presented, please contact John, or a council member.  

How was I attuned to the presence of God today?


• Interaction with others
• Listening
Opportunity to reflect
• Meditation on the passage of Zaccheus
• Sharing time with regard to thoughts on the passage
• Sharing time about our needs as a congregation and what we are going through
• Took the time and opportunity to stop and listen
• Good
• Starting at a slow reflective pace was challenging for me, as I’m more prone to want to be business like/analytical, but in hindsight, it did set a tone that was good for me
• Candle
• Calm demeanor of the workshop leader
• The “listening” that we all seemed to do of each other as we went around the circle
• Open to whatever topics and processes on offer, trusting that they would be worthwhile and appropriate
• Listening to the wisdom and viewpoints of others around the circle
• I liked the prayers that started the workshop – I felt God’s presence in those prayers
• God indicating that I need to listen more, be deliberate in the act of listening
• Meditative reading – good reminder to take more time to listen to God’s word
• God spoke to me through the devotions, in the story of Zaccheus
• I experienced a wonderful sense of community --- which is the body of Christ in these brothers and sisters
• You set a peaceful tone in which there was room for both individual and group reflection- I experienced the presence of God in that peace
• Being in the church naturally focused me on God’s presence, as well, the spirit I feel was welcomed by all participants
• Buzz of excitement
• More strong sense of encouragement
• Read Scripture and reflected on it
• Prayer
• Reflection on Scripture verses was helpful
• The opening exercise with the Bible reading helped me to focus on God’s presence. The prayers did the same
• Opening devotions put me in the right frame of mind
• I appreciated the Lectio Divina approach to reading the Bible. It helped me to “tune” my listening ears or rather practice listening to God speaking
• With the opening prayer and seeing God in each of the participants


How did this workshop support me in my relationship with God?

• Reinforced the benefits of fellowship with other believers and continual spiritual growth by listening, praying and reading
• To remember to take my role of pastoral elder seriously and that God has placed me here for a reason(s) and to rely on Him and listen to Him
• To slow down
• Reminded me that good communication is dependent on good listening skills and a desire to care for others
• To share together to listen to one another
• It felt ok for me to have questions and doubts – it is still part of my relationship with God
• Got me to examine my own views about God and other people at Calvin church
• Seeing others’ similar and different views and approaches widened my understanding of how God is at work here
• I learned to trust God more
• When dealing with people ensure that I look at them as children of God, to pray before meeting with people, to keep God part of the discussions
• Stages of faith development very interesting to look back at a lifetime of growth
• My goal today was learning to listen. I heard God’s encouragement throughout the teaching and sharing
• Good to see everyone engaged
• Encouraged me in my personal journey – it does not have to be like anyone else’s but can happen in community
• It re affirmed my role as an office bearer and Christian.  Of our need to be compassionate and available to other members of the congregation
• Encouragement
• Challenge to put myself out there a little more
• Reminded me that God accepts each of us as we are; reminded that sanctification is a process more than an objective
• Listening to the passage and reflecting on it
• Part of the Body – being Jesus’ hands and feet
• Dependent on God for compassion and patience to listen and being encouraging
• Reinforce need to be self-aware – where am I at in life and with relationship with God and how it may affect relationship with others
• I learned more about how God speaks to us, e.g. through Scripture reading and meditation and through listening to what others have learned
• I am not perfect and God knows it
• Reflecting on my own spiritual growth was good. Also it encourages me to seek God more before and after interactions with people
• It encouraged me to have good boundaries
• It reminded me that we are each a beloved child of God


How did this workshop support me in my role as a pastoral visitor/elder/deacon/pastor?

• Provided discussion of techniques, approaches and purpose of pastoral visits
• Let me voice my concerns as an elder and my anxieties about visits
• Visiting is an art, and needs practice – so the role play was welcome for me because I do not have experience as an elder
• I am not in these roles presently, but we can all use those skills
• To see the difficulties and to be more a listener
• Some good practical advice and reminders
• I need to be more aware of where I am in my spiritual journey so as not to feel threatened or defensive when someone in a different stage attacks me verbally
• Recognize that all stages are ok – that the Holy Spirit directs their own growth
• I learned some approaches to relate to others, and some pitfalls to avoid
• I was encouraged and affirmed – I don’t have to be perfect to be effective
• Helped me to take my time and to prepare myself and to really reflect on God’s plans
• Learned how to listen better. More awareness as to the effect of not listening enough to people’s concerns
• My relationship with God and with others are linked
• Listening exercises – good practice
• Great to look at the stages of faith development to give more insight into the how’s and why’s of another person’s behaviour
• Good ideas shared; some new skills and suggestions
• I have an administrative elder’s role – this workshop spoke to exactly our concerns and interests
• It was good practice to review the skill sets of listening
• The sheet of spiritual development helped to put in perspective the unique spiritual journey of each person in the congregation
• Shared responsibility
• Ways to offer suggestions, constructive criticism
• Working through scenarios – what to do, what not to do.
• Looking at stages in spiritual growth – recognizing that some concerns, e.g. skepticism, are normal phases in spiritual growth
• Seeing I am part of the Body of Christ and that I have to be a good listener. If one part is hurting the whole body suffers
• To try not to be defensive and offer immediate solutions, instead be calm and ask questions, defuse the situation
• Not to butt in and interrupt other’s conversations
• Reinforce need to really listen and ask appropriate questions in order to best help serve
• I learned more about how to listen to others
• Reminded me that pastoral care is not a one size fits all approach
• This workshop did help me to be encouraged again to look ahead to a new season of serving as a pastoral elder with confidence. Knowing that I am indeed God’s hands and feet at work, in a small way, in this congregation
• It was helpful to review and discuss spiritual growth, listening skills and to practice.
• it’s a piece in equipping us to fulfill our roles
• helped me to be a better listener



No comments: