Saturday, November 12, 2011

Canadian Youth Workers Convention - Entry #2

Good morning.  It's 7:50 am in Vancouver, 10:50 am Ottawa time.  I got up at 6:45 am again this morning.  Had some breakfast at Mac Donald's again, to be able to use their WiFi.  Much better food today.  Strangely enough, I might be able to get used to getting up this early more often.....maybe......  : )  

It's been interesting watching the morning crowd over the past two days.  A couple of people from our Convention have come in here, at least the ones wearing their name tags.  Many other school kids going off to school, and then there are many homeless people, or people from the tent city just a couple of blocks away coming in and sharing their stories.  Quite a variety of social classes gathering in this tiny corner of the world.  

Let me tell you a bit about my day yesterday.  



I'm impressed with The Hyatt hotel, at times.  A very nice place to stay, with people everywhere willing to assist you.  I entered one of the public washrooms, and discovered that they don't just have stalls for the toilets, but separate rooms.  Really.  I'd never seen that before.  Very interesting, and expensive....... 


I told you about the exhibits yesterday.  Here's a picture of one hallway.  This exhibit is selling necklaces and beads from a third world country.  Many of the exhibits are from Christian Colleges and Universities, or Mission Trip organizations offering Mission Trips in a package that you simply pick up and run with.  






Here's the small bookstore.  In the U.S. these conventions have much larger bookstores, and many more exhibitors.  I was talking with Marcel, our Canadian Youth Unlimited Leaderships Trainer, and he was commenting on the fact that events like this seem to be waning.  He wondered about the legitimacy of events like this, and was beginning to think that smaller events might be what people are wanting.  


I have pondered that for a bit too.  There often seem to be the same seminars that show up on the schedule, and no really big names to draw people out to the conventions. 

However, I also know that when I come to a convention like this, I'm more of a veteran paid youth worker, and I come for different reasons that the "newer" and often younger attendees.  The seminar repeats are important for those new to the ministry so they start off well.  I wish I had that opportunity when I was starting off. 

I come more for the main speakers, who, though they aren't well known always, usually have some nugget or two to give to us, and this year has proven that true for me already.   I also come to get away from the office for a few days, and listen to what God might be wanting to say about my life and ministry for the upcoming years of my life.  In that I'm never disappointed either, though it's not always a joy to experience when God says it's time to work on things. 

So, I'm torn on the issue.  We'll see what the next years bring as Youth Specialities tries to navigate these waters.   



 Our main stage area where the bands and speakers speak into our souls.  


 This is "Lost and Found".  Two German performers who love the Lord and are extremely funny.  Michael, on the left, does most of the talking.  I love his dry as dust sense of humour.  Apparently only a handful of people had heard of them at this convention.  I found that amazing, as I've seen them at least 7 times now at various conventions.  Good for them to have a new audience.  

They have funny songs,  like "Saskatchewan"  and many more serious songs that send a powerful message.  They are kind of like Simon and Garfunkle, but with lots of humour.   They have many CD's out, with titles like "This" and "That"  and "Something."  Michael went on and on about how "This" was for sale long before "That" was, etc, etc.  






Jon and Band is the main worship band for the weekend. Great worship band with familiar and new songs.  




Our first main session speaker was Grant.  A Youth Pastor who became a lead Pastor through tragic moral failures of his lead Pastor, in two separate instances.  He's Canadian, but ministering now in Bellingham, WA.  


An amazing speaker who spoke wisdom from many tragic experiences. 

We also had the privilege of having a Skype conversation with a former Army person who was now into youth ministry in Saskatoon, I believe.  He's ministering to street kids out of his house.  Another amazing story.  



After the session it was time for some lunch.  I traveled outside to a place I'd scouted the day before that seemed like a nice off the path place, but it was closed.  Then I remembered that it was Nov 11th, Remembrance Day.  I noticed many of the downtown buildings were closed, and so were the many small restaurants and shops, as they rely on the businesses in the buildings around them.  

After a 20 minute walk I found this small, nice place called Moonpennies.  They make great Baguettes and soups. 




I ordered a Vancouver smoked salmon baguettes and it was good. 

After lunch it was time for two workshops back to back.  My first one was actually going to be done by Grant.   It was entitled "Making your Worst Nightmare your greatest opportunity."  Grant shared his ministry story with the two Lead Pastor's who had failed and how he ended up navigating the mess and fallout.  He shared how it affected his life, and offered lots of wisdom about what to do when people come knocking and wanting to know things.  

I was reminded about how our church had to handle something like this when I first arrived in Ottawa, from a former Youth Pastor.  I think we did many things right in the aftermath, but there are things I learned about speaking truth into peoples lives that I could do better.  A good seminar and the time went way to fast.  

The second Seminar was by Jeff, from another Youth Unlimited organization.  I was intrigued by the title when I first saw it...."Leading from the Second Chair: the Best Leaders have Learned to Follow Well."  I'm one who is in that second chair, as are most, if not all, Youth Pastor's.  Some interesting (and yes even tough) information that I'm still chewing on and need to process more.   That's a good Workshop as far as I'm concerned.  

I went out to Subway for dinner and then relaxed in my room for a bit.  Then it was time for our second main stage session.  

Lost and found were once again on stage, and equally funny and poignant.  We also took some time honour our Veterans because it was remembrance day. Jon and Band led us in worship and then we heard from Dr. John, teacher at Regent College.  He spoke about Theology in Youth Ministry and how we need to be teaching Theology throughout them.  For a Theology guy, he was surprisingly funny.  : )  Some good things to ponder from his talking as well. 
    



After the main session there were a couple of late night options.  Lost and found were going to do a set, but I've seen them often.  I really wanted to see a play that was being offered by Me2You Productions called "Screaming Silently".

  They are a small  group of actors in the Vancouver area who have steadily been noticed by mainstream media for their plays that speak about the difficulties of life.  This play was about a father who was a movie director, but had just died, and his kids, in the picture above, were trying to come to grips with the legacy of pain and hurt he had left behind for them. 

There were some surprises and some good humour.  I liked it.  The room was full at the beginning of the play, but thinned out a bit near the end.  Too bad, those who left missed a good ending.  

Well, it was 11:30 pm by then, still 2:30 am in my brain, so it was off to bed.  A good day overall with much to chew on.  We'll see what today brings.  I didn't like any of the seminars that are going on right now, so my next thing will be the third main session time starting at 10:15 am.  

Blessings and talk to you soon..............

No comments: