Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tuesday - Final Daily Entry

Greetings all. So, it's Tuesday now. I'm sitting in my living room, looking out the front window at ALL that snow. WOW. Can't imagine what it must have been like here last week. When I got home on Saturday, the first thing I had to do was shovel off one of my two aluminum sheds. The roof had collapsed. I was able to prop it up until spring, but I'll need a new roof for sure. It's hard to imagine we were basking in the heat just a few days ago. Now back in our heated homes, with the comforts we've come to expect and can't seem to do without. Some of us are back at work, some of us are back at school, and some of us are returning from Peru as we speak (Vlamings) and the Van Dyk's are due to return on Saturday. As I make this final daily entry, I do so with some sadness. It has been fun chronicling our daily adventures, all be it time consuming. I know that many of you read the lengthy posts, and some of you just skipped to the pictures. In all of it, I hope you were able to get just a taste of what we experienced. Yesterday I went through the previous entries and corrected some spelling errors and paragraphing, as I was not able to do that in Peru due to the slow and intermittent connection. In doing that, I discovered that even John has issues with spelling (though he didn't seem to get razzed like I did, but I'm not bitter : ) ) I also discovered that because of the posting about Dilan, our Compassion child we visited, that prompted someone we know to sponsor a child. That's Cool !! I also learned yesterday that my lovely wife dedicated a song to us as a mission team, and to me too. Unfortunately, I didn't get to hear it, but I did read the emails asking for the request, etc. Thanks dear. Did anyone get to hear it at about noon yesterday ? It was nice to go to church on Sunday and hear how many of you appreciated the blog. Thanks for reading it and making all that work worthwhile (though I did it for the team too: ) ) Thanks for all the words of encouragement, and for showing interest in what we were doing. Now, we are back in Canada. It seems like a bit of a dream, this whole Peru experience, but it wasn't. As I take some time now to really reflect on our experiences, here are some observations I've made: 1. I can't say enough about FRONTLINE PERU and what they quietly do in Peru. Pepe, and Erin, and Roger, and the translators that assist them as each team comes to Peru. They are just excellent. As roger puts it, their goal is to be the slowest growing mission organization around. They don't want to become so big that missions becomes a money making venture. They want God to lead, to guide, to grow things. I like that philosophy. It is evident from what we've seen that Pepe and the others all desire that their country comes out of the poverty that they always see, but they also realize that that comes at God's leading. May God bless you FRONTLINE as you continue with a busy summer of mission teams. 2. Peru is just one of many countries in the world where there is need. Just watch the news. Peru doesn't even make the news very often. As a church, God has seemed to call us to Peru, and it will be interesting to see how this trip impacts us as individuals and a church in the short and long term. I've already heard rumblings of people wanting to go again in two years, and even people who haven't gone before. We await what God has in store. 3. I noticed just how friendly and loving the Peruvian people are. They welcome us with a deep warmth and love that I don't often see in N.A. They want to share their lives, to share their love of God and to share of their limited possessions with us. As I reflect on that a bit, I come to realize that part of that is because in Pachecutec there just aren't the many distractions that we have in N.A. No game boy, x-box, WII. No constant trips to the shopping mall to purchase things we don't REALLY need. Their lives are consumed with trying to make ends meet for their families, and their families and church are pretty much their connection points. So, when we come for a visit, they have the time to sit and talk. To sit and begin the process of entering into community with us. If we stayed longer, we'd have more chances. I think we can take something away from those observations as we enter back into live here in N.A., as can we who didn't go. 4. As we moved on during the week, I noticed some of the team members beginning to process their thoughts. Some were already thinking about what is REALLY important in life, and what is just fluff. Some were thinking about their lives ahead of them, and how this trip may change some of those major decisions that they are about to make. Some were trying to justify what they were observing, and others, well, I'm just not sure yet. I hope that our follow up sessions will allow us all to find ways to move forward in our walk with God and in the areas of justice, poverty, community, making a daily difference right where we are. 5. As Christopher and I had the privilege of meeting our Compassion Child, Dilan, I was struck by the many ways we can impact people in our world. Whether it's through the simple act of a mission trip with FRONTLINE, "free a family," World Vision, CRWRC, or other organizations, our simple act of writing a cheque has huge impact in the Kingdom of God. If you have not sponsored a child, or a family, or a village, or even a well for water, etc, I hope you may be able to find an organization that you feel matches what you would like to see happen in the area of assisting in eliminating poverty, malnutrition, educating young people to they will be able to break the cycle of poverty, etc., and that you would begin to give as God enables you. Change does happen, one child at a time. 6. As we come back and engage others in our mission trip experience, some will get it and identify, and some will not. No matter what, don't forget what you've experienced. What made you uncomfortable. What made you laugh, what made you cry, what made you angry, what made you ask God questions. Those are the things that we now wrestle with as we return and work out our salvation with fear and trembling. This covers the major issues that I trust the mission team will work with in the coming weeks months and years. It was truly an honor preparing with you and leading you in Peru. You were a wonderfully up beat team who saw the good in the not so easy, the joy in the midst of the heat, the smells, the waiting, the soar stomachs, and for that I thank you. I'll see you on April 1st at Calvin for our first of several follow up meetings. As I close, just a reminder that this blog will more than likely contain a weekly posting, sometimes with pictures, sometimes not, of the events that pertain to the follow up of the mission trip, and other ministry events I am part of. Check the blog at your leisure. Just before I leave you with comments about the team, just some things I won't miss:
  1. That smell of fish on the way to Pachecutec.
  2. The sun blaring in my face at 6:30 am
  3. The loving comments about my late night literary escapades
  4. My sore bum after typing up those blogs on my balcony
  5. The sunburn on my neck
  6. The sudden stops in the bus as others cut us off
  7. Intermittent web connection (though it was a blessing to have at all)
  8. That constant feeling of tiredness, boarding on exhaustion
  9. Trying to sleep on the plane
  10. The sand and dust and fumes from the vehicles that seemed to make it's way into everything.
Some things I WILL miss:
  1. The late night sessions with Pepe as we typed, talked, and became tired
  2. The faces of the team as they woke up each day
  3. The positive attitude of Wilma (oops, I mentioned her AGAIN), and Carmen, and Bea, well, and many others
  4. The children
  5. The welcoming love of the people of Pachecutec
  6. The great pictures of John
  7. Jeremy's comments about ME
  8. Dilan
  9. The challenge of leading 26 people through a mission trip experience
  10. The evening video times. They were neat.
I leave you all with some general comments about the mission team participants: Rosalynn - always perky, always talking, but sometimes VERY sleepy. Wilma - what can I say....well, I think I said enough already in the other blog entries. : ) John - great pictures. Captures more than just a picture. Always ready with a wise crack, but much more beneath the surface that does come out periodically. Hannah - Always smiling. Fun to bug. Can't take long days and video blogs. Shawn - Quiet, yet not. Absorbed alot of what went on and then let loose on his parents when he got home. Kevin - Surrogate father to my son. THANKS Kevin for doing that. Thanks for coming along. I know it wasn't always easy with your recovery from your accident. You are a good friend. Kellina - This time around Peru meant much more to her. GREAT soccer games, and fun to watch the competition between you and Christian. As you now reflect, may God guide you in your decisions. Sam - VERY talkative on the video blogs at night. VERY. : ) Growing in his faith and love for the Lord. Keep working at it. Marg - Upbeat, despite that darn ankle. Had some wonderful times with those in Pachecutec. It was fun to see you hobbling around with a smile. Christopher - Well, you made it son. You did VERY well, even with such little sleep. I think Colin and Kevin got a real kick out of the many different sleeping positions you can come up with. Carmen - Our on call nurse. THANKS for quietly helping those in need on the team during the week. Thanks for the constant up beat attitude. I know you REALLY enjoyed the medical clinic visit. Let's see what this brings. Leah - FULL of questions. Ron, not always able to answer : ( . Perky when awake, not so when not so. : ) Talkative to pretty much ANYONE she met on the trip, no matter where we were. Ashlyn - Love those facial expressions. Pensive at times. Able to take my ribbing (though not as easy when she's tired), and wonderful with children. Jeremy - What can I say (lots really, but I'll restrain myself). Still a photography purist (real film). Always a thought about the day, and yes, ALWAYS a thought about me : ) Holly - Hard worker (concrete sure can be heavy eh Holly? ) !! A look that could kill if she doesn't like the comment you make : ) . Devious, yet caring. Watch out Bethany. Nick - Always positive. I discovered a sense of humor I never knew he had. Margaret - Quiet, yet always ready to lend an ear. Hard worker. Great song leader. Colin - Always ready to lend a hand. Great with the boys in Pachecutec. Thanks for coming again Colin. Ken - Quiet and full of emotion. Wonderful to watch you process the week each day. Great to watch you working with the kids and stretching yourself. Bea - A real trouper. GREAT in the crafts (as were Ashlyn, Bethany, and Holly). Thanks for putting it all together for us. One less thing for me to worry about. Fast recovery over sickness and always a smile. Harold - The constant positive. Thanks for all the encouraging comments over the week Harold. Now it's on to SERVE eh !! : ) (with continued reflection on Peru). Whew, always something eh !! Bethany - Positive, and always with her other two friends. Great with the kids and always finding the work and making sure it gets done. Let's see what this second round brings for you now. Brian - Always a positive comment about the happenings around him. Patient in the midst of construction (better than I did, that's for sure). I hope this was a well rounded experience for your. Ruth - Always a smile, even when I'm bugging you. Endured the heat, but there were times, eh Ruth : ) Thanks for all your hard work and the love you showed to those children you came into contact with. Cindy - Loving towards the kids. Friendly with everyone. VERY easy to scare : ) Blessing to you all team. See you in a couple of weeks. And remember that one question I asked you at the end of the day? "How did you see God at work today?" Keep asking it every day from now on. Pastor Ron

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!
So sad I missed you guys! I texted Pepe but he didn't see it until he was at the airport already....
sad!!
I wanted to go to the airport but it is far from me, not like Pepe who lives close by and has a car... hehe.
It was a really awesome time with you all and thank you for all the Canada suveniers!
I am looking forward for an opportunity to meet your homeland in the future if God's will :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ron: What a wonderful final (sort of) blog entry!! Everyone on the team should be very grateful that they had you as their leader. I do so wish I could have been there with everyone.
Kim