Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Fundraising Continued - #3 = Pancake Breakfast Facts














Pictures in order:
  1. Wilma getting ready for the big day
  2. Ruth preparing her waffle recipe
  3. The great Elmo waffle maker
  4. Inside the great Elmo waffle maker
  5. The great waffle machine - finished product
  6. Wilma woke up WAY too early this morning. Good training for Peru.
  7. Hey, John hard at work. Look at his brow furrowing. Perfect pancakes is hard work you know : )
  8. Look at John's apple floppen
  9. Wilma talking to Ashlyn, "Ashlyn, don't try to improve on my recipe."
  10. Holly, Bethany and Ken trying out the delicious creations
  11. Father and Son morning out
  12. Many enjoyed the morning out, and the great food.
  13. See John, it worked. We got these great pancakes. There's no turning back now. (Yeah)


Greetings again. As I look out my living room window and yet MORE snow, and enjoy yet ANOTHER snow day with my family, I long for the warm sun, which will soon be a reality.

Before that though, I wanted to share some more about our preparations for Peru. Particularly our pancake breakfast fundraiser we held this past Saturday.

Each year the youth group holds a good breakfast consisting of pancakes, sausages, OJ, coffee and tea, oh and syrup. Well, as this fundraiser was being considered at our orientation meeting in February, and I mentioned that we would be using the same recipe as last year for the pancakes, I think something snapped within the heart and mind of John B.

He just couldn't take it any longer. I think he had tried to stay quiet for a long time about the fact that my recipe (pancake batter and water) just didn't cut it. His desire to see change kept welling up within him. I could see the brow on his forehead wrinkling and his facial tone turning a light shade of crimson.

And then it happened. John shouted out at the top of his lungs that he just couldn't handle those kinds of pancakes any longer. And then something strange happened. Others rose up and began to chant the same slogan. Not many, but just enough that a small mutiny occurred in that moment.

Now, I, the fearless leader, had a choice to make. Would I quash this rebellion, or would I allow others to lead within this mission team group? I'm a realist by nature, and knew that I really had no choice. It's not like you can really fire volunteers, and this would actually mean less work for me during the fundraiser, .....so I relented graciously.

Well, I witnessed a new vigor in the hearts and minds of several of the team members as they met after our orientation meeting. The end result was that we would be having not just pancakes but:

Whole Wheat pancakes, Wilma B
Waffles, Ruth V
Buttermilk Pancakes, Colin V
Apple floppen (actually "pannekoeken" as John has once again corrected me) by John B

No water based recipes this year.

As the day approached, the excitement built, well, at least for the 4 who were making the different recipes.

The kitchen was filled with laughter, and the smell of batter mix. As people began to arrive, the different types of pancakes began to be served, and they were VERY good. Blueberries supplies by Ruth V along with whipped cream and REAL syrup (that was my addition, just to show I can be a team player in the midst of a mutiny : ) ) made for a great breakfast meal.

I just have one problem now. The bar has been raised. Those 4 people held a successful mutiny. I can't go back to batter and water. What do I do? How do I hold another pancake breakfast of the same caliber?

I know, I get those 4 to come back out and do it again. And that I will. : )

Thanks also to Adam D who came out and offered his services and another waffle maker. Thanks to to Bethany for serving my family a GREAT breakfast.

It's going to be FUN week in Peru. That's for sure : )

I know that John will remember "Yes sir, three bags full!" I'll remember to be kind, loving, and gracious : )

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These entries aren't so shallow. Pancakes...? I think someone is trying to tell me something. Hello, stumbled in and wanted to wish you happy travels to Peru!

I would like to invite you to leave a comment on my blog. At my blog I ask people to tell me about their day in seven words or less. Just leave me a comment with your seven words, you can do it anonymously. If you'd rather not, then have a nice day.

http://todayinseven.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Ron:
They were "pannekoeken", not "apple floppen".
We appreciate your leadership -- but please stay out of the kitchen.

John (Baa, Baa).

John's Going To SERVE! said...

john's recipe is the BEST! and he's had lots of practice cooking for a crowd!

Anonymous said...

Just checked in ...
My vote is for the amazingly yummy wholewheat pancake I had....(to be fair though, it was the only one I tried ) My suggestion is to raffle off the recipes for the next trip.
Also want to wish you a safe and blessed trip to Peru ,where you will be free of snow shovels for a few days ....(For those with withdrawal symptoms we will save some snow for your expected return .) I will keep you in my prayers ..
Vaya con Dios