Monday, March 22, 2010

Peru 2010 - Sunday @ Pepe's

Hello again everyone.
Sunday has just come and gone in Lima, Peru. Thought you might like to hear what Chris and I did for the day.

Before that, I just checked my email and understand that return travels went very well for everyone. A blessing for sure. I also heard that Patti became ill at the Canada / U.S. border and had to stay in a hotel there. I don't know the details, but Tim is going to pick her up and I hope she is restored to health quickly.
This morning Pepe made us breakfast. Scrambled eggs with Peruvian sausage mixed in. It was delicious. Thanks for breakfast Pepe.

After breakfast it was time for me to blog, and for Chris to relax in front of the Xbox 360. Pepe worked as well.

I took the opportunity to call home and talk to Joycegina, Sarah, and Katrina. Good to hear their voices again.

At about 2:00 pm Roger picked us up and we headed to the beach. Crazy driving again, but I'm quite used to it now. Roger picked up some beers for us to drink at the beach, but apparently it's also ok to consume the stuff in the car while you drive too. So.......we did (but Roger didn't FYI).

Roger ordered some raw fish and fried seafood. Chris and I tried it. It was quite good.

Here's is a picture of the beach we went to. About 1 hour outside of Lima. A nice place with a hotel.

The waves at the ocean were quite strong.

The sound of the ocean is always calming to me.

Nice big waves, nice strong undertow, which Chris AND Roger found out as they stood in the waves.

Here's Chris enjoying the water. No, he's not in the dirt up to his knees, he's kneeling.
Chris and Roger. They hit it off well, but most people do with Roger.

Pepe and I opted for the "relax in the chair" mode of spending time at the beach. Pepe is unwinding really well. I'm not supposed to tell Erin we went to the beach, or had the food, or enjoyed ourselves, so if you ever read this Erin, you need to know that the beer was warm, the waves way to high, the food dipped in too much sauce and ...............ah forget it...we had a good time Erin..... : )

A nice picture of us and Rogers friend.....though I'm not sure if the term girlfriend would be appropriate.
Vendors walk up and down the beach trying to sell clothing, ice cream cones, sunglasses, and all sorts of other stuff. Roger bought a pair of sunglasses from this woman, and I saw another lady purchase some clothing while at the beach....nice to be able to relax AND shop at the same time.

The beach was too much for Pepe. All that salt air. He just couldn't stay awake on the way home.

Yesterday we went to the tourist market to buy souvenirs. Today Roger took us to a different kind of market. This is a place where you can pick up pretty much ANYTHING for really cheap. Some of it is legit stuff, others are pirated things like DVD's, brand name shirts, etc.

We ended up getting Chris a gator shirt (a copy, but good quality), and some DVD's. They are 23 dollars US to buy legally, which no one can afford, or .75 cents at this market for regular DVD's and 5.00 for Blue Ray. You can talk to me sometime as to why we did this. I won't get into the specifics here.

Once back at the condo we went to the grocery store to pick up our Inca Cola, some snack food, Peruvian chocolate for our family, and newspaper and tape to wrap the painting in. I hope it makes it home undamaged.

We passed by the Canadian Embassy on our way to the store.

After all that, it was time for dinner (8:30 pm). We tried to go to a nice restaurant, but it was closed on Sunday's. We instead ended up at TGI Friday's again. The waiter remembered me from yesterday.

Here we are relaxing and talking about all sorts of stuff as we wait for our food. It only took 1.5 hours this time to eat, not 2 hours : ). I had steak this time...well, we all did. We talked about Pepe's car, about the 2000 different varieties of potatoes here in Peru, and how the Spanish took so much away from this country in the 15oo's. Pepe is great to talk with.

Here's what we ate. I asked for my steak medium well, and it came rare. I think I killed the cow twice.

Here is Chris, just before heading off to bed. He likes to take pictures of himself. Such a thoughtful young man.
So ends the details of our day. I'm feeling a bit less tired now. The beach and other things were fun to do. The time with Pepe is always good. Tomorrow begins our long day of visiting our compassion child (which I'll blog about during our flight home) and the travelling that the rest of the group just finished.
Please pray for us tomorrow that our time with our new compassion child will be a time to getting to know each other and seeing where this relationship will take us. Until next time. Blessings.

No comments: