Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ottawa Inner City Ministry - Internship - Wednesday

Tuesday was a busy day for Jason, so I was not able to be with him at OIM . Instead, I went to my office and did some work for our upcoming SERVE project. There's always something to do on that front : ). Wednesday's are drop in days for OIM. They hold them at the Salvation Army Church on Gladstone. They used to have drop in days at a larger church, but opted for a smaller venue for many different reasons. I arrived at 9:30 am, but couldn't park at the church, so I had to scout around for a bit for a 3 hour parking spot. As I walked to the church, I was thinking to myself about what I might say today to the people who I would be meeting. Would I know what to say? Would I say something dumb? Would I talk too much? I felt my hands getting clammy and my throat tightening up. As I arrived at the church door, several people had already arrived awaiting the 10 am opening of the doors. I knocked and was let in. I went downstairs and met Jason. He in turn introduced me to others who had been volunteering for some time now. I met one of our Monday night outreach workers again too. My role would be pastoral care today. That basically meant sitting down and listening to anyone who wanted to talk. Those in the kitchen were hard at work getting morning snacks and coffee/juice ready. Jason then showed me around a bit. I saw a place in the corner where hygiene products were handed out to those who wanted them. Upstairs in the sanctuary there was someone who gave massages, someone who gave haircuts (a self taught barber), and someone who did foot care. Up another flight of stairs and there were people who were in charge of handing out clothing. In order to keep things orderly, OIM has a system of giving out numbers to people so they can go upstairs from the common basement area to either get a haircut, or foot care, massage, or clothing. I thought it was a good system. It prevented the mob mentality, or fighting over clothing. At 10 am all the volunteers gathered in a circle for a short prayer time. I was once again asked to pray, and once again couldn't help but feel I was being tested or something. Funny, eh! ? : ) The doors soon opened and in came many people. Most made a beeline for the muffins and breads that were placed out. Coffee was next on the list, and then it was time to stake out a place to sit. As this happened, I decided I would talk with those who didn't have anyone to talk to. I met a shy gentleman who happened to carry on a conversation with me for about 30 minutes. Near the end I could tell he was being nice to me, but wasn't sure if he was enjoying the conversation. He did share much more than I though he would about family, life situation, etc. I met two other men who were eager to talk. I could tell the one had mental health issues, and the other was just wanting to talk because he hadn't talked to someone for several days. I mostly sat and listened. Once again I found myself wondering where the line between fact and fiction really was, but in the end, I don't think it mattered much. Simple fellowship was all these men desired. As lunch approached, I went to the kitchen to catch a brief time away from some chatter. Jason and I were talking a bit, and then a scruffy man came up and wanted to know where we got the donuts from. Jason told him, and then the man gave us a lecture on how stale they were and that we must have gotten them two weeks ago. I found it both amusing, and irritating at the same time. I've discovered that these are two very common emotions in the life of street volunteering. Soon it was lunch. I sat back and watched the proceedings. I didn't want to get in the way. People sat down and the volunteers served them a good meal of spaghetti and breads. They were served for two reasons. First, it helped keep things orderly. Second, if offered them all some dignity in that someone would take the time to serve them for a change. I noticed that a couple of the street folk were helping out too. This happens a lot, and I liked seeing it. Near the end of lunch I was tasked with handing out sandwiches for people to take with them when they left. Many people took me up on the offer for a sandwich or two. Desserts came out as well. After lunch it was time for the food bank. Each Wednesday OIM gets food from the Ottawa Food Bank to distribute at the Wednesday drop in. Each week it's an unknown as to how much, and what they will get. Each week Jason hands out 25 red tickets to the first 25 people who ask for them. These will be the ones who will get to go to the food bank to select food items. I was tasked to help out. I assisted with handing out cans of soup and brown beans. OIM does not just give out bags of preselected food. They want people to be able to make some decisions about what they want to eat. It boils down to dignity once again. Things slowed down after the food bank. Not many people stuck around between 2 - 3 pm, but people sort of came and went. I talked with Jason a bit more and then it was time to head for home. As I walked back to my car, I couldn't help but be in awe of those at OIM, and the many other places that offer assistance to homeless people. They are compassionate, kind, firm, and caring individuals. Everyone volunteers for different reasons. One older man was there for the first time, just to see if he wanted to do something like this more often. He seemed like a natural at it to me. I hoped I gave off some compassionate vibes today. It was enjoyable talking with those I got the chance to interact with. There are some very intelligent people who come to the drop in, and those who are hurting a great deal. I see that for many being on the streets was not by choice. Some have a 1 room place at a boarding house, but use OIM and other places to simply socialize. Some genuinely need the support of OIM, and for some, I think they are simply using the system for what they can get out of it. That used to bother me, but it doesn't any longer. It's not my place to judge, but to be the hands and feet of Jesus. That is hard to do at times, I must admit. Tomorrow it's more outreach, and then attending an art class that Jason has started with some young people on the streets. Go to Thursday's OIM entry to learn more......

No comments: