Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ottawa Inner City Ministry - Internship - Monday

During my EPDL experience, I wanted to spend some time learning and growing through the ministry of Ottawa Inner City Ministry. More specifically, spending time with Jason, their fairly new staff member whose focus is on street youth. I spent Monday June 8 - Thursday June 11 shadowing Jason, and I thank him for the opportunity. I was both looking forward to this time, as well as somewhat nervous about it too. Nervous because I know I come with my own set of judgements about homeless people, and I was hoping to not have them influence me, or even be noticed for that matter, as I went out with Jason on outreach times. I arrived on Monday morning at the OIM office. At the moment Bank street is undergoing construction, so parking was a bit of an issue, but I was allowed to park at the Salvation Army church that day. OIM's office is not easy to find. Just a small doorway among many shops on Bank Street. Once you enter, you have the choice of walking up three flights of stairs, or taking a very old elevator to the third floor. The door to OIM is always locked. They do this to control who enters the office. A necessary thing to be doing. Upon my arrival at OIM, I walked into a small office space. To my left was a kitchen area with a table and supplies on the shelves. To my right was an office desk and computer where the office manager sits. Straight ahead of me was a set of double doors, behind which are some offices and a place to store supplies for the Wednesday drop in and outreach times. I settled in and helped make sandwiches for our outreach time. A group of home schooled kids came to help make more sandwiches and learn a bit about what OIM does. See the picture below. I've been around OIM a bit already, having participated in their "One Homeless Night" event with our youth group back in the Winter (see previous blog entry for more details). Having this homeschooling group come in is a nice thing for OIM. It gives them a chance to have people understand better the situations of those on the streets, and hopefully do away with many of the stereotypes that continue to be out there. Typically, OIM will show a DVD about people on the streets (I've seen it) and answer questions. More than once, I've heard the same question that came from this group of home schoolers, "Do you get the chance to share the gospel with those on the streets?" I might have asked that same question before I became acquainted with what OIM is about, but I now know that that is probably a question that causes OIM some angst. Not because of the question, but because of what it implies in many cases. Jason answered the question, but I think it bothers him when it's asked. On the other side of the room is Jen. She's the front line office person who handles all the volunteers, and lots of other stuff. A dedicated person. As the group continued to make sandwiches, Jason packed up 3 bags of supplies for us to take. In the back office is a space that contains all kinds of food and hygiene items that OIM gets from the food bank, and individuals who donate to them. Jason loaded us up with Gatorade, juice boxes, the sandwiches we made, socks, snacks, and boccie balls. Before we left, I got the chance to see Jason's shared work space. Nice to know that he's just as messy as I am in my office : ). We then headed out to the streets of Ottawa's downtown. I got to lug two of the three bags, me being the "intern" and all. : ) As we began to walk, Jason and I talked about life on the streets, his work, and how it affects him. As we talked, all of a sudden he turned to his right and began walking away from me. He had spotted two teenagers sitting on the sidewalk with their dog. He approached them, bent down to their level, and greeted them. Though casual conversation he found out they had just come from Montreal and were staying in Ottawa for a bit. Jason helped give them information on places to get food, a place where they and their dog would be welcomed, and gave them his business card. The couple was 18 & 19 years old, and mentioned that being a street person in Ottawa was much more difficult than being one in Montreal. After we left this couple we talked about that for a bit. Jason mentioned that in Ottawa there is this sense that the police want homeless people to move on, disappear, stay out of the tourist areas, etc. We met others on the streets. A gentleman just sitting down drawing. We talked with him for a bit, or rather, we listened and he talked. I discovered that often times the stories probably aren't true, but you listen anyways. It's not about the story, it's about respect, dignity, letting these people have a voice. I learned a lot, just by listening. I also learned that posture is important. When talking, we knelt down if they were sitting, so we would be at eye level. Several times as we walked and talked, Jason would be the first to notice a street person. I seemed wrapped up in my conversation with him, trying to find out more about street life, but he was living the time there, sensitive to where God was leading him. I wasn't yet in that frame of mind to see those on the streets as I should see them. I could have walked by them without even noticing them. For Jason, each meeting seemed like a God ordained encounter. Humbling to watch, and neat as well. We were out for about 2 hours and met many people. We gave away most of our food and juice and socks. Many people are getting to know Jason and his outreach efforts. They all asked for something, and often times are quite picky about what they want. At first, I got a bit flustered with that sort of attitude, but why should I? These people have just as much right to their likes and dislikes as I do, don't they? We returned to OIM and I departed. I would be back at 6:30 pm for evening outreach time. 6:30 pm. I arrive again at OIM and am greeted by two others who are making sandwiches. These people go out every Monday night for outreach. Sometimes it's only two, sometimes six. Never is it done alone. Jason arrives and we pack up once again with sandwiches, bread, juice, snacks, socks, etc. Before we go we pray in a circle. I was asked if I would pray. For some reason I think it's sort of a testing ground to see what I'll say in my prayer about what we are about to do. "Internship" you know! : ) In reality it's a good way to gauge someone's motives. The words we use in prayer are a gateway to one's soul.....and motivations. Jason and I team up with another person and we make two teams of three that night. The other person is a female college student (forget her name) who has just begun doing outreach. She's been wanting to for some time, but her parents kept her from doing this for a long time. They were afraid of what might happen to her. Seems strangely familiar. When we did the "One Homeless Night" event with the youth group, some of our parents didn't allow their kids to go either. We saw many people during our outreach time. We handed out pretty much all of our stuff. We met very different people, and often times just listened. I felt a bit out of place in that I was new, didn't have any relationships with any of the street folk, and at times felt a bit out of my comfort zone. It was a good experience though. So many emotions ran through me during this day. I saw the love that Jason has for those he meets. I know his heart breaks for them. I can't say that mine quite does yet. I feel a sense of sorrow for those we meet. Many, out of no fault of their own, are on the streets. Many are out there because they want to be, or have become comfortable on the streets and use OIM as a means to get some "extras" in the way of food, drinks, etc. Some street youth have cell phones, places to stay, and may even be dealing drugs. A completely different world than I am used to. I go home that night with mixed, churning, even guilt ridden emotions. . . For more on my OIM experience, go to the Wednesday post......

No comments: