Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ottawa Inner City Ministries - Internship - Thursday

Today was another challenging day for me. . . We were supposed to go out and do outreach today, but instead we held a baby shower for a couple who were going to have a baby very soon. Both had been living on the streets, were on drugs, and regulars of OIM. Both have since cleaned up from the drugs, and are trying to get on their feet because they have a baby coming. They have a place at the YMCA and the boyfriend has casual work. I arrived at OIM and set up some streamers for decorations. The couple arrived a bit early and soon Jason, Jen, the director Gelica (I don't know how to spell her name), and another female who works at OIM a couple of days a week all sat down to celebrate the eventual arrival of this couple's baby boy (they know). We played some games, ate some cake, and I sat and listened to much of the conversation. The couple was very thankful for the shower, and talked about the future like any other couple would. It was a fun time. Jason and I eventually helped to bring the few gifts ,and other items OIM was giving them, to the YMCA. I'd never been to the YMCA before. The main floor was open and nice. Lots of services were being offered, and I wasn't sure if they were solely that of the YMCA or Government as well. We took the stuff up to this couple's room. A small one room place with a double bed and possessions scattered around. The hope is that after the baby is born they will be able to get other housing. As we left them, I was torn with many different kinds of emotions. I hoped that things would turn out well for this couple. They had so many hopes and dreams for themselves and their baby. They also seemed to have so much stacked against them. I asked Jason what he thought of their situation and the chances he thought they had. I wasn't sure if this was a fair question to ask, but I couldn't help it. I think Jason struggled with his answer, and I'm not sure he gave me a truthful one, but I'll respect it because he works in this environment every day. I went home after this for a brief time before coming back for the art class. As I drove home, I felt myself judging in ways I know I shouldn't, praying for this couple that they would have a healthy baby and the skills to raise him well, and wondering how Jason and the others can do this all the time and remain so positive. I wondered if I could do the same and what would motivate me to volunteer at OIM long term, if I decided to do that. Would it be to make myself feel better; to appease some inner guilt feelings about not noticing street people before and treating them with dignity. Or would it be because I have a genuine love and caring for people who are just like me in many ways, but have been marginalized by prejudice and judgements. Lots to ponder as I drove home that day. ART TIME: I arrived at a downtown church to observe/participate in a pilot project that Jason has started. He began an art class for seven street youth. They meet every Thursday evening. A law firm provides the meal and Jason provides the opportunity for these young people to express themselves through art. His hope is not to make budding artists out of them, (though that would be ok too) but to instill in them confidence and hope in their abilities. Apparently some of their art sold at OIM's dinner auction several weeks earlier. Once again, as more of an observer, I did feel a bit out of place at the beginning. The young people that arrived didn't seem to want to warm up to me, which I could completely understand. They talked about another of their group who was pissing them off for one reason or another. They openly talked about their drug habits and partying, etc. I wasn't offended or shocked by it all, but it was intense at times. As this group has continued to meet, it has gotten to know each other, and it seems that not all of them get along. The joys of community : ). The food arrived late, so the YP got down to their artwork. Some were painting, others sketching, and the guys were building models. An Intern who is working at OIM righ now comes to help Jason on Thursdays too. She has some art background, and did very well with the group. I sat down to a paint by number set that Jason had bought for me (he's so thoughtful). I cracked it open and sat across from the girl that works at OIM a couple of days a week. She's part of "the group of seven". This gave me a chance to begin to talk to her and get to know a bit more about her, and her a bit more about me. I was thankful for the paint by number set. Jason hung out and continued his relationship building with various members of the group. They have some great artistic talent, let me tell you. They should be proud of the work they were doing, but many struggled with low self esteem. At the end of the evening, each received $20.00 and a meal. The incentive to attend I think, but you have to find ways to attract these kids, and Jason is doing a great job of it. I liked the night, though I would like it more if I got to know these kids better. Jason is doing some awesome work with these seven. He's had 100 % attendance so far, and that is no small feat in itself! I admire his wanting to instill confidence and a sense of purpose in the lives of these young people. He doesn't know what will come of all of this, but often times I have those same feelings in the youth ministry of our church. We aren't in it for the immediate gratification : ). I pray that this project will see more fruit as it continues. I hope to find out more from Jason in the future. And so ended my "internship" at OIM. Lots of experiences to ponder, and feelings to process. Some are good, others are more difficult. These experiences might lead to more involvement with OIM, but I must be honest with myself and ensure I'd be volunteering with right motives. This sort of work/volunteering surely isn't for everyone. I commend those who do it day in and day out. May God continue to grant you the grace to carry on, and all the rest of us the willingness to see everyone as people worthy of dignity and respect. Blessings Jason as you continue with your God ordained appointments on the streets of Ottawa.

No comments: