Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Silent Retreat - Day 4

Morning Prayers and Breakfast: This morning prayers were at 6 am. I awoke at 4:30 am for some reason, but it was good to be able to get an extra hour’s sleep. : )

(Sunrise at Weston Priory)

Morning Prayers lasted 30 minutes this time. There were more singing of Psalms and other chants, as well as a reading from the Gospel of Mark. At a certain point in the service we all walked up to a bowl of still water and cupped our hands in and either washed our face, part of our face, or just our hands, depending on your preference. I am not sure what this was for as it was not referenced anywhere, but I’ll see if I can find out. There was another part in the service which was filled with quiet. A good 10 minutes of nothing. No noise and pretty much no movement. The desire is to be at one in the quiet. I could hear/feel my heart beating it was so quiet. I confess I struggle with the concept of being at one in the quiet, but that may be just a product of who I am. There were a few more cars were in the parking lot this time, with more guests. They sure do like to get up early. I sat by a window and let the morning sun bathe my face. It was nice, peaceful, meaningful. After prayers, it was breakfast time; again, all done in silence. I’ve learned that this silence is actually getting to me. Many here seem to relax in the silence while doing things, but I seem to be on edge at times. I am afraid to make noise in the fear that I’m disturbing something. Everything that is done is done slowly and intentionally, and every sound that is made seems much louder than it might be if this quiet wasn’t going on. Maybe that’s the intent, but I am discovering that the monastic life would be a real struggle for me. Interestingly, even eating seems slower than usual. I’m now back in my room and finishing up this morning’s entry. I’ll finish up another blog, read from the Psalms a bit more, and then I’m heading into town to discover the shops that are there. There’s only so much walking and staring at the pond that this guy can do, and I’m ok with that. : ) Morning and Lunch with Midday prayers: I spent the morning sightseeing. I noticed on the map that there was a Peru, Vermont, and since we do mission work in Peru, I just had to get a picture of this place for Pepe. There's not much to the small little town. I then travelled to a ski hill called Magic Mountain. A pretty big place. I’ve noticed a couple of ski hills which I’ll pass by tomorrow on my way home.

(Peru General Store. That and 3 houses make up Peru, Vermont)

Travelling back I stopped in Weston, about 4 miles from the Priory. They have a general store there that sells, well, pretty much anything; from tea pots to candy to clothing. Much of it was old in nature. They did have some candy, and popcorn that you pop right off the kernel, so I got that for the kids. I also bought some smoked cheese to take home…..they make such good cheese here.

Back at the Priory, lunch was its usual affair. GREAT food, eaten in quiet, to the reading of Obama’s book. Midday prayers were at 2:30 today, I took a brief nap between them and lunch. At 2:15 it was back to the chapel for a 10 minute prayer time, and then back to my room. Only 7 of the brothers were present this time. I heard that the sisters from Mexico will be arriving here sometime this evening to be present for the funeral next week, so I think the other brothers went to get them. It’s a two hour drive to the airport. Well, I’m off to do some reading outside. It’s a VERY hot and windy day today. TTYL. Evening Prayers, Supper and night Prayers: Ah, a wonderful afternoon. I spent some of it reading a book just for me, and then talked with one of the guests for a time. I was intrigued by what goes on here, and he has been coming here for 20 some years, so was willing to answer my questions. I discovered the following: The water was just a symbol for life. There have been no brothers who have taken vows here in about 20 years. All have come here already with vows. The youngest brother is 50. This man was excited to be here and loved the services. I couldn’t quite say the same thing, but that's ok. The brothers rarely leave the grounds, except to go to Mexico or the odd trip to visit someone for dinner on Sunday’s. This is a unique monastery. It’s more open to trying new things, unlike some of the more conservative ones (apparently the brothers do a dance on occasion). Many Catholics love coming here and many have come here year after year. Interesting stuff. We had our evening prayers at 5:30 pm and this time the brothers were wearing their darker robes. Thirty minutes later and we were done. I found this time to be more worshipful as I get used to what the brothers are doing. Dinner was next. I found myself sitting at a table all by myself this time. Some of the other brothers were missing so we were moved to the right, and I was at the end. Maybe because I was the newest guest? Not sure. Night prayers were right after dinner at 7:00 pm. Once done, I walked back to my room, and am now completing this blog entry. It’s HOT in my room. No air conditioning, and no air flow, but I try to think cool thoughts. : ) Tomorrow I’m up at 4:40 am for morning prayers, breakfast, a closing blog comment, and then it’s in the car for the journey back home. I’m looking forward to taking a different route home through some more mountainous terrain.
Go to "Silent Retreat - Final Day with Reflective Thoughts" for more --->

No comments: