Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Silent Retreat - Day 1 - Travel

Preparing

As I was planning my Extended Professional Development Leave (EPDL), a Pastor in Ottawa suggested I take the time to do a silent retreat. Not being one that is silent much (hold your tongues), I thought that this would be a good experience for me. This Pastor suggested a place in Vermont called "Weston Priory." I looked it up, booked a time to come, and alas, now is the time.

I left on a sunny holiday Monday and began my travels to Vermont. My trip took me through the Adirondack Mountains. A beautiful drive! Rolling hills, winding roads, and cute little hamlets dot the way.

I discovered the Adirondack museum, which was closed at the time, but I'll go back in the future.

I drove by white water rafting places and scenic stops along the way.
My drive ended that day in Glen Falls, NY, where I spent the evening in an old Hotel. Lots of history in this hotel, as well as in the city. I took a walk around the downtown and discovered two very old churches, with many others dotting the landscape in the distance. The evening was spent blogging some recent things I'd done.
In the morning I had breakfast by myself; literally. I was the only one in the restaurant. A senior's bus tour had just gone through (woke me up at 6:30 am actually, which would be good practice for getting up for 5 am morning prayers on Tuesday morning).
I'm now sitting in the hotel lobby, blogging, as I await my time to arrive at the monastery. On my way to Weston, I travelled across the New York/Vermont State line. Below is the welcome centre. A nice little place, which thankfully had a bathroom : ). Go To, "Silent Retreat - Day 2" to continue the story ---->

No comments: