Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Silent Retreat - Day 3

Morning Prayers and Breakfast: I slept okay last night, but woke up several times what with a new bed and the fear of sleeping in. No need for my alarm clocks, as I was awake at 4 am and didn’t sleep. I discovered that it begins to get light at 4:30 am here. I got up, dressed, and walked out the door, or should I say doors, into the cold morning air. The world around me was just waking up. The sound of the pebbles beneath my feet was nice. The chapel bell rang, calling us to prayers. All was still. As an aside, one of the female guests drives to the chapel, and she just happens to have a hybrid vehicle. As she drove past, the car was running on battery power. Even the vehicles here operate in silence : ). This morning there were the guests (well, most of us anyway) and a couple of others who came by car from somewhere around. The brothers came in slowly. This time they were all wearing white collarless shirts. I’m guessing that’s to signal the beginning of a new day. They sat on pillows in the meditative position (well, most did) and everything began in the dark, and quiet. A brother eventually struck a match and lit several candles randomly placed in front of some of the brothers. There might have been a reason for the placing, but I wasn’t aware of why. A rain stick was the first thing we heard, then a flute, and then several native drums. Eventually the guitars chimed in and the brothers began their chanting songs. They brought in the new day. A reading about Jesus’ washing the disciple’s feet and the significance of serving took place, as did a reading from the gospel of Mark. After each reading or a song, a different candle was extinguished, with the candle at the centre being the last one. After 30 minutes the brothers left in silence, as did we. Breakfast at the Priory is more of an informal affair. It goes from after prayers until 7:30 am. All of it is done in silence. I’m discovering that that’s not an easy thing for me. The meal consisted of breads, jams, English muffins, coffee and cereals. I had a couple of English muffins with honey that I think came straight from the bee hive. It was delicious. Not sweetened. Only a couple of us were in the dining room this morning. Many of the brothers were not. We watched the sun rise through the windows. I washed my dishes and then walked back to my room. It was 6:00 am. My family was still fast asleep back home. I had blogged for a bit and it was 6:45 am. My family was just getting up. As I type this, a robin is watching me just outside my room window. It’s like I'm not even here. Well, the whole day is ahead of me. What to do now? Hmmmm……… Lunch and Midday Prayer: Okay, I confess, I went back to bed for a couple of hours. It’s not uncommon for the guests to do that. I was awakened by the sound of one of the brothers mowing the meadow in front of my window. I got up and decided to take a walk. Before the walk, I rummaged through our kitchen and discovered cookies and fruit for the taking. I did just that. Sustenance necessary for my walk. I walked out the doors and instead of going left, to the Priory, I went right not knowing what I would find. I walked for about a half hour up and down some pretty good hills. Small homes, or maybe cottages, dotted the road. As I walked in the mountains of Vermont, the words of Psalm 121 came to my mind: “I lift up my eyes to the hills – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.”

I soon heard the sound of a flowing stream and sure enough, I found one. I went down to the water’s edge and put my hand in. It was cold. I sat there for a time, drinking in the sound of the water flowing downstream. I opened my Bible and began reading more of the Psalms. As I did so, I was struck with the thought that these Psalms were similar to the chants I was hearing during prayer times. Especially Psalm 136, which continually repeats the line, “His love endures forever.” This tradition is much older than I really know.

After spending some time by the stream, I continued my walk. I discovered the main road and decided to walk it back to the Priory. I had 45 minutes before lunch, and made it just in time. We gathered in the small meeting room again. I met a couple who had prepared the lunch for us. Apparently they do this every Wednesday. I also learned that they both had their spouses die, and they met at the Priory while attending services and eventually they got married to each other. The brothers like to joke about that. I also met another lady who’s been coming here every year for 20 years, with another lady friend. Twenty years….I’m not sure if I could do that. We entered the dining room again, in silence. The meal was wonderful, consisting of homemade bread, vegetables, and meat. We once again sat in silence and one of the brothers continued the reading. I do find this sort of format interesting. You concentrate better. It is awkward at times and I didn't always know where to look because I knew I wasn't going to get a response back from anyone : ). The bell rang out after about 30 minutes. I talked with another of the male guests for a bit, and then it was back to my room. I found the phone and called my wife to let her know I was still alive. Then it was back to the chapel for midday prayers. More visitors were present this time. The brothers all walked in together in their regular clothes. No candle this time and everyone stood as the brothers came in. There were more chants, but no reading. The guests sat down in a strange spot during the service, and if I was the only one there, I wouldn’t have known to sit down at all. Good thing others knew what to do. In 10 minutes we were finished. This was a nice way to acknowledge God in the middle of the day. The brothers are constantly brought back to focus on God, his goodness, love, and mercy. At 5:15 pm will be the Eucharist Service. That happens on Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday. I’ll let you know what happens. It’s now time to read, or blog another book, or listen to music…..hmmmm….. Evening Eucharist, Supper and Night Prayers. For the afternoon I decided to blog about a book I just finished about people leaving the church (look for the entry entitled “Quitting Church” if you are interested). At 5 pm I made my way back to the chapel for the celebration of the Eucharist. I felt a bit like a fish out of water this time, not having ever been to a Eucharist celebration before. The brothers came in together, this time dressed in what I would say was more traditional monk attire. Light brown flowing gowns with the large hoods at the back. A table was set up on the upper floor, with chairs set up in a circle just in front of us on our level. The room was pretty much full this time. It was interesting to note that many people seemed over the age of 55. Not sure why, but maybe a lot of retirees just happen to live around here. This chapel time took 1 hour. There were many Psalms sung, and several homilies by different brothers on the meaning of the Eucharist for them. Two things that stuck out for me were the thought of letting go because we no longer have the physical Jesus with us, and a twist on the thought of the ascension of Christ as not necessarily being literal in the same way of his coming back but that Christ comes back to us each time we serve another. We soon entered into the celebration time of the Eucharist. Flat bread was used, as was real wine. The brothers partook first, standing in a semi-circle on the raised area. The rest of us gathered in front. We each took a piece of bread and ate. Then we moved to a station where one of the brothers gave us the cup. I drank, but was a bit uncomfortable drinking from the same cup as all the others. After the service it was dinner once again with pretty much the same fare as yesterday evening. The cheese was VERY good, and this time we had fresh baked raisin bread…yummy. We heard the continued reading from President Obama’s book. After dinner I spent some time by the pond, drinking in the sites and sounds. Then I walked back to my room to get my sweater so I wouldn’t be so cold after night prayers. About 10 minutes later it was back to walking the half mile back to the chapel for evening prayers. This seems like a nice way to close out the day; thanking God for the day. All in all about 10 minutes long again. I noticed 2 large bowls of water and towels set up, but we didn’t use them. I guess we’ll find out what they are for tomorrow. Then, it was the final walk back to my room. Whew, a lot of walking today. It was a good day, however. I’m off to grab a shower, set my alarm for 5:40 am (we get to sleep in an extra hour tomorrow, yippee), and end the day with some Psalm reading of my own. Thank you Father, for this day. It was good to spend it in contemplation. Grant me rest and renewal for what lies in store for me tomorrow.

Go to "Silent Retreat - Day 4" for more ------- >

No comments: