Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Pastor Ron's Sabbatical - Entry #4: Retreat @ Kingfisher Bay and Grade 12 Graduation



I took a week and travelled to Kingfisher Bay Retreat Centre on Stoney Lake, near Peterborough.  I've been trying to get there for a couple of years now, but it never seemed to fit into my schedule. 
Well it did this year.  


A very nice place, built in 2010 by people from my home church in Whitby. 



Their goal was to offer a place that was affordable for groups and Pastor's etc. to come and rest and be refreshed.  


As you can see from the inside, it's a very nice place.  


Even has its own art room. 


And lots of places to just sit down and relax and read. 





The rooms are very nice as well.  



The outside of the building.  


There are pathways to walk.   


It's located on Stoney lake. 
We used to have a cottage on this lake when I was a kid.  


Birds galore nesting around here. 


Places to relax outside too, but the mosquitos were pretty bad.  

Nice lake area.  


This is a closed in, screened in porch.  I spent a lot of time here during my stay.  


The food was AMAZING. 
The cook was a kind and 'gentle of spirit' sort of person. 
Yes, I have several food shots. : )
When I was there, there were only two other people there for a couple of days, and then they left and another person came for a couple days (from Barrhaven CRC of all places. : ) ). 
Meals could be with others, or on your own. 









Apple crisp....

with whipped cream.  Whoot! 


Lots of rain during my stay (seems a precursor to the summer we are having).  




The sound of the rolling thunder was wonderful to listen too, as was the rain.  




More food pics.  


I didn't just eat.  : ) 
I also spent my time reading three books in preparation for a course I was to be taking at Calvin College. 




Grade 12 Graduation


Oh, and yes, sometimes I'm a bad planner. 
In my sabbatical time we also had our annual graduation time planned.  I wanted to attend this event, and had rearranged some plans for going away, without thinking about rescheduling the graduation time. 
Well, I drove back to Ottawa and attended anyway.  




We held it at Miriam's again. 
This year we said good=bye to: 
Lucy
Alexa
Ryan
Kyle
Lucy is being her old self in this picture. 


We had a meal of burgers and veggies. 
And yes, just after I was finished cooking the burgers on the BBQ, .....it poured.  
Here we are just relaxing as we ate.  


As part of our time together we ask our grade 12's what they will be doing over the next years, and how we can pray for them. 
Our youth leaders are present, as well as the mentors that have been with them for the past years.  


After each one has shared with us, we seat them in the middle of the circle and lay hands on them and pray over them.  





We end with dessert.  : ) 




Hmmmm, Ben, this was supposed to be a picture for Miriam and Lucy....


Such a ham.  : )


This is the 3rd or 4th time we have done this and I hope we keep doing this for years to come.  
A nice way to bless our grade 12's out.  


Back to Kingfisher Bay

Oh, back at Kingfisher Bay. : ) 


I took a hike around the grounds one day.  


Some nice sayings as you walked the pathways.  



And a nice cottage tucked away on the property.

With a smaller pond. 


Rustic for sure.  : )


Cozy and simple. 


A nice view of the cottage.  




I also took a kayak ride on the water. 
A bit of a tippy one, but I was careful.
Saw lots of turtles on rocks and nesting birds.    


Ah yes, more food pictures. 
Good food makes for a good stay. : ) 




All in all my week was quiet, full of reading and resting, and over all relaxing. 
If you are looking for a place to retreat (availability is better during the week FYI) for yourself, I highly recommend Kingfisher Bay.  It's affordable, and quiet. 
They are open from September to June, taking July and August off.  

On my way home I stopped by the small town of Burleigh Falls.  Has the Trent Severn waterway going through it I think. 

Took a walk to the locks. 
They were still closed due to high water levels.  









If you look real close, you will see a guy on the right hand side of the dam working on adjusting it to let more water out.  

A nice little Inn as well.  
On to the next seminar..............


No comments: