Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Pastor Ron's Sabbatical - Entry #3: Work around the house





Part of my sabbatical goals was to attend seminars and retreats, but another part was to just relax, and in my case, to do some long overdue work around my house.
 What follows is most of that work. 
Read if you want, don't if you don't. : ) 
I put this in here more for me than for you so I'll remember this 10 years from now.  : )  


Painting of Mud Room and Sealing Driveway



Our mud room did not get painted last summer, so it was time to "get r done" during my sabbatical. 
I needed to repair the door leading into the garage as well. 
The wood frame had cracked.  
Had been putting that off, but got it done before the painting.  


Cutting in always takes the longest.  




I never thought that room had so much stuff in it.  : ) 


Once cutting in is done, things go much faster. 


The end result. 





Oh, and the annual re-sealing of the driveway. 




I'm glad we have a short driveway. 
You'll also notice our replacement van in the background.  




Fix Eavestroph's and Gardening Retaining walls

I did this many years ago, to prevent water draining onto the driveway in the winter time, but it really wasn't effective and I came to dislike the look.  


So I took it down.  



I also needed to re position the retaining wall from our gardens.  Over the years they had started to lean a bit. 




I ended up putting a drain into the garden.  

To allow for water to move further away from the house and onto the lawn.  


The end result.  

Voila.  : ) 



The other side needed doing as well. 



Fixing Back Patio and Front lawn

Also needed to re-level the back patio.  


Voila  : ) 


And redo the front lawn. 
Lots of dandelions (taken out by hand) and lots of patchy grass.  


Chris even helped.  

The end result. 
Back yard needs doing too, but not in the mood for that. 
With all this rain we've had this summer, the lawn is looking pretty good.   : ) 


Replacing Windows
This was something we had been putting off for some years not, but couldn't avoid it any longer.  
Windows fogged up in-between the panes of glass.
  
Colin ended up installing the windows. 
I helped with the clean up. : ) 


He makes quick work of getting the windows out. 


There's something about a non window in your home that's disconcerting. : ) Out with the old.  


In with the new.  




The old front window.  Going from 4 smaller windows to one big centre one. 


Again, creepy without windows.  

The window is so clean....oh yeah, it's not in yet.  
Bahahahaha  : ) 


The new window. 


Bathroom.  





The back sliding door was a fun one.  


Needed some work before the new sliding door could go in.  


All the garbage.  That was my job to clean up. 


Took a day to get them all in. 
Then trimwork and me having to paint all the trim. 
Thanks Colin.  
Nice job.  



Fixing Bike Shed

Our bike shed needed some floor repair work as well.  



The end section is an add on to the main deck, so it rotted. 
Needed to pull it out and put a new section in.  


Old section out.  


New section in.  


Completed.  
Check off another box.  : )



Cedar Shakes on front of house


The guy who was helping Colin saw that I was going to paint the trim on the outside.  He suggested Cedar Shakes.  
We liked the idea, so he came back and put them up for us. 


The end result. 
But we decided we wanted to darken the cedar so we (well, me) stained it. : ) 


The end result. 
Not 1/2 bad.  :)







Enough of house work for a while.  :  )  

Click on the links that lead to some retreating and seminar-ing.......... 

No comments: