Monday, July 25, 2011

Winnipeg SERVE - Day 13 - Homeward Bound

Day 13 
Time to go home. : ) 

A p.s. from last night before we begin.  As I was blogging, I heard a whole bunch of laughter coming from the room.  I found out in the morning it was because Rosy was sleep walking and talking up a storm.  Cute. 

Here's Annette waking up washing her hair. 


You know you are tired when you confuse your son for Rosy. I said, "Hello Rosy" as Chris was washing his hair.  No resemblance whats so ever....hmmmmm



Fontana has been trying to remember the words to a song that she makes reference to in her reflection you will read shortly, but can't seem to remember them.  It's been driving her crazy, and she, in turn, has been driving us crazy.  I don't think she slept much as she was mulling this over in her head.  


Good morning Ben...... 


Annette proceeded to dry her hair and then found a photo album from the church we were staying at.  


After packing the van for one last time  : (  we once again prayed together.   

We are excited about being home tonight.   


The "Kate"  wave. 


Breakfast at Tim's again. 
 I think we've had our fill of this place.  : )  


For lunch we/I decided to take a slight detour into Sudbury. Chris really wanted to see the big "Nickle," and so did I actually.  


On the way in Annette captured this nice picture. 
 It's summertime for sure.   



The BIG NICKLE.  Apparently you  have to pay to see it, so we cheated and just asked to turn around in the parking lot and Annette got a quick pic.  

We soon arrived at our eating destination.  Ben expands from his squished quarters, as does everyone else.  


Perkins Family Restaurant.  A nice place to eat.   


Chris trying to figure out what to order.  

Still with us Fayth?   


Our menu's.   



Hmmmmm, what am I thinking......  : ) 
Blank!  


Our group after ordering.  The waitress kindly took this picture after Annette asked her too.   


I think Ben is playing with peanut butter again..... 


Lots of food.  How does she carry this without things falling?   


Leah eating her dish of food, minus the tomatoes, eh Leah.  : )   Thanks for the garlic bread though.  Oh, and on that note, you won't find another picture of Megan eating, though I did like the theme of it.  I didn't manage to get one of her.  Now don't get the wrong impression from this week that Megan does nothing but eat. Those were only pictures of her eating a bite, though she did finish her meals like everyone else did. Thanks for being such a good sport Megan.  You know I only bug those who I appreciate and admire.  : )  

Now, back to this Leah character.  I actually think Leah ate more than anyone else the whole trip.  Really..........didn't you Leah....and then, after she ate, she'd be hungry about 1 hour later......sounds like my son.  
Teenagers and their metabolism.   


Another round of food.  


Ben, eat with your mouth closed, and stick to your own plate.  : )  


Annette ordered roast beef.  
Good order of veggies too. 
Very healthy.   


The group enjoying the meal.     


Time to pay up.   


As we were waiting for everyone to enter the van Annette and I decided to rest in the front seats in a different manner for a change....a nice change let me tell you!   


We headed home going through Sudbury.  Nice flags.  


Our first sign of Ottawa...yeah!  


A nice church on the way.   


After a couple of hours it was time to stop for a pee break.   


These "port-a-poo thunder-shacks,"  as I like to call them, were well....gross...!  But one has to do what one has to do.  

Chris is "outta there"..... 


We arrived home at 9:01 pm to a movie star welcome.  
John embracing Hannah. 
 Megan getting a hug from mom too.   

Wilma D made a wonderful homecoming sign for us.  Thanks a lot Wilma and anyone else who made this.  Nice touch.  





A mob scene.  : )  


Rosy and her mom reunited.   

Chris and mom.  He even looks happy to see her.  


Now Joy, Fontana's sister, has REALLY missed Fontana.  
She was SO happy to see her.   Katrina really missed me too.  She jumped into my arms almost before I got out of the driver's seat.  : ) 


On the way home we were discussing the reunion that was about to happen. I happened to be talking with Jacob about whether or not his brother would show up.  If he did show up, we joked about the fact that no hugs would be exchanged, just a hand shake and a "hey, how's going?"  That's what guys do you know.  Not too much emotion.  : ) 

Well, as Jacob got out of the van, I followed him to see what would transpire between Jonathan and him.  They approached each other rather nonchalantly and started with the handshake....but, alas, they did do what I would call a "shallow" hug.  AMAZING!  : )   


For dad though, Jacob got a more enthusiastic hug.  : ) 

We slowly dispersed and I brought our rental van back.  5000 KM's driven in that van.  Almost one trip across Canada.  WOW.   

This sadly ends our Winnipeg trip, but not the reflections or the memories.  Stay tuned for reflections from our mentors.   I'll have a comment about each one of them at the end of their reflection.   I haven't received Amber's or Joanna's yet, so they may come a bit later.  I hope to have that 
posting up later today, or tomorrow morning. 

I will also finally post the car wash that we hosted before we left.  I will publish that one soon after this one.  It was a fun time as well. 

Thanks to Winnipeg for a GREAT SERVE experience, and to this group of youth who helped make this trip a hoot.  
We hope to host two sites next year.  

youthunlimited.org 






No comments: