Saturday, July 23, 2011

Winnipeg SERVE - Day 12 - Thunder Bay to Sault Ste. Marie

Day 12

We awoke to a glorious day. 
Annette woke up at 6 am for a jog. Her day was 1/2 over already.  : ) 


Kyle and Ben soak up the rays before departure.   


Rosy packing her VERY small suitcase. I was amazed at how much stuff she managed to pack in there.  If only we all could do that.   


 We wasted no time in packing up and getting outta town. 

 Before we left, however, we prayed over the van once 
again.

  
Here's a shot of the school.   


We stopped at Tim's but unfortunately were in line behind a fireman who was putting an order in for a platoon....well, it seemed like it anyway.  Fontana didn't mind though, because her dad is a fireman.......


While waiting I decided to pay my ticket.  They conveniently take credit cards, and I wanted this thing outta my life.  : )  


Annette mailing my ticket and a post card for a friend of hers.  I have a witness now that it was sent at least.   


Leah has been reading a novel on the eBook.  She finished it today, but I don't think she liked the ending......


The Terry Fox memorial.  We missed it on the way up, and didn't stop on the way out. I've seen it years ago and it's cool, but we wanted to get home.   


There's lots of time to kill in the van, so Chris received a massage from Kyle.    


I asked all the van occupants, including Annette to take my computer and write down their reflective thoughts of the past week.  They spent most of the day doing that.  Annette used her computer to write as well. She wrote an Epistle. : )  I'm looking forward to reading these shortly and sharing them with you all as well.  

I'll be posting those comments on Monday or Tuesday. I wish to read them first, and am waiting for Amber and Joanna's too.  Stay tuned for their reflections, and some final reflections of my own at that time, about this great team of people I've spent almost 2 weeks with.   


Annette took time out of her writing to capture more scenic pictures.  Many had to be deleted because they were blurry....sorry Annette.  



Lots of lonely stretches of highway today.  We kept ourselves busy with music, games and listening to Adventure's In Oddessy again.  SOME people in the group loved AIO, while others seem to have no culture within them....they don't like listening to AIO...ah well, too bad... !
  
I like to whistle while the music is playing....but I've learned Annette doesn't like my whistling.....can you imaging that..... 


Rosy and Chris catching some sleep....but what is Hannah doing......She looks interesting..... 


We stopped to go pee at the same spot as on the way up.  Hannah decided to put her face against the window and Annette captured some great pics.  Here's one of them.....I know where Hannah gets this playful disposition..... from my sidekick....


Fontana and Megan spent more time pulling strange faces...and you can see that Jacob is really enjoying this...  : ) 


While we were listening to AIO, he read.....not a cultured, creative or imaginative bone in that boys body.....  : )  


We stopped for lunch at Ray's Pizza and sub place.  A small mom and pop establishment.  


Time to order.......and then wait.   


Annette and Hannah catching up on the local news.  Some interesting stories about things you might not read in the Ottawa news...ask Rosy about it sometime..... 


After news watch, Annette went back to her Epistle.  I took my computer in to recharge it...we were there for a bit.  


Apparently the wash rooms are small, and rank, and it seems Chris can't tell which is the male / female room..... 


I have to talk to that boy.......  : )  


Leah is giving me a lesson in map reading.   


Huh....did you say something Fayth...........??????? 


The daily Megan eating picture.   


We continued our journey, and Annette continued her antics.  I love that sense of playful humour.... 


We stopped in WAWA, not to get a picture of the bird, but to get a snack to tie us over until dinner, and pee of course.   


Time to stretch those cramped bodies.   


Fontana managed to find us a garbage bag. THANK YOU Fontana!   


More scenic vistas.   


Ah yes, and then it was time for Leah to be able to fulfill the family tradition of dipping her toes in Superior.  Hannah and Annette accompanied her, with Fayth taking pictures.  The rest of the van simply whined about stopping again....no sense of teamship......The trouble is, these ladies wanted to stay at the beach because it was so beautiful...which it was. 

I gave them two choices...stay at the beach and walk to Sault Ste. Marie, or come in the van....they chose the latter, thankfully.  : )  


Leah was happy for the chance to dip her toes in Superior, but this picture seems strange to me.... Happy, or unhappy....hmmmm



We arrived in Sault Ste. Marie around 8 pm. We ate a Casey's.  I decided not to have us stay in the hotel on the way home that we had booked here.  We were running a bit short on funds, according to my calculations, so instead I treated the group to this meal.  It proved to be a good idea, as you'll see soon.  


Annette was feeling a bit thirsty for more than just water, so we ordered some liquid refreshment.  I see that Fayth is laughing about something... 


And Megan is pulling another of the plethora of silly faces for the camera...strange people.   


I was glad to make Annette's day.  She deserved it.   

I don't know what Megan is doing here, but Annette took full advantage....  

On the way to the church Fayth simply stole the front seat. It was only a two minute drive, so Annette sat in the back and got a bit of an idea as to what the rest of the group has been going through for 5 days now.  


We unpacked, settled in, and did our evening prayer time.  Our last evening prayer time.  That saddened me.  I then set to getting my blogging done and the rest of them moved into the sanctuary and spent the better part of 1 hour singing praises to God.  I love this group........


This ends Day 12.  Tomorrow we leave at 9 am and travel the final leg of our journey.  We've gotten into a routine now, and it will feel weird on Sunday morning waking up and not having to pack the van again.  

I'll post our final day's travels on Monday, with the Mentor's reflections, and then my own.  Stay tuned, and thanks for travelling along with us.  I hope you have been able to live this adventure with us in some way.

Until Monday........




No comments: