Monday, July 11, 2011

Winnipeg SERVE - Day 1 Drive to Sault Ste. Marie

Over a year ago, Winnipeg decided to host a Youth Unlimited Special Needs SERVE, just like we have done in Ottawa over the past 3 years.  Since we were taking a year off, my youth group, mostly who have been mentors in SERVE decided they wanted to make the road trip to Winnipeg to help out.  

After some planning on our end, the day has finally arrived for our departure.  Yesterday I rented a 12 passenger van, but after I left the lot, I tried the air conditioning.  It didn't work.  So, back to the rental company to get another van.  God works in mysterious ways because we ended up getting a brand new van in place of an older one.  Nice. 


I arrived at the church at 7 AM to load up.  There isn't much room in a 12 passenger van, let me tell you, and I wasn't sure everything would fit.  After about 10 minutes of packing, using pretty much every available inch of room under seats, beside seats, and on the seats, things were packed.  WHEW!  


Time for a group photo before we depart


Time also to gather around our mode of transportation and pray over and for it.  


Getting into the van proved interesting.  Back packs still needed to be loaded in.  Eventually everyone seemed to fit into a spot.  I was just glad I was driving.  Annette was glad she was the front seat passenger.  


After about 1 hour we stopped for a pee break.  Yes, 1 hour.  Getting out of the van proved equally difficult. Here Leah is unpretzelling (? spelling) herself.  The rest did the same.  


We stopped an hour later at a Tim's, not pictured here, for breakfast.  Waking up at 6 AM is very unusual for me, and it already felt like noon.  : )  



Seems there was a pathway at Tim's that some in the group discovered and decided to take a hike on.  NOT great timing.......




Trying to get back into the van took MUCH longer than it should have.  It involved taking Jacob's luggage out of the side door and throwing it on the ground (nicely of course) and then cramming into the van.  We then jammed Jacob's luggage back into the door and slammed it shut.  Quite an escapade.  



I have been looking forward to driving to Winnipeg for quite some time now.  I love driving, and I haven't taken Hwy #17 before.  Lots of road, trees, and quaint small towns.  


Great scenery too.  Annette took some great shots.  



My son has been busy putting together a "play list" for our trip.  Each person was allowed to select songs of their liking, no matter the genre, and Chris put together a master play list for our trip.  I've heard country, Christian, Simon and Garfunkel, musicals, etc.  Some of the tunes were quite good and I whistled while I drove.  


I also sang to songs, and, well, someone caught that on camera.  


Seems Fontana liked the songs too, and sang as well.  


Hannah too.......sorry, Hannah.......


Eventually we stopped for lunch, just outside North Bay.  Annette took her lunch ingredients from home, making it as needed, but she was proud of her box lunch nonetheless.  She's smiling now, but she soon became ill on the road, and is presently sleeping, trying to recover.  Please pray for her, as this has come on quite suddenly.  


We gathered outside to enjoy the warmth and break bread together.  


You see Jacob's luggage so lonely.  Sad, but we didn't leave it behind Tammy, honest.  


On a trip like this, time can go quickly AND slowly.  There are times of talking, and times of silence.  There are comfortable spots to sit, and somewhat uncomfortable spots.  Leah, in the back right, was quite uncomfortable in that spot, I think, but she was a trooper.  You can just see Megan yawning away as well.  


Some took to reading magazines about Will and Kate.....yuck......


....and some took to trying to sleep.  Hannah doesn't look that comfortable, and Annette is beginning to try to sleep off her sickness.  


Another pit stop.  A bus load was already at Tim's so the girl's line up took FOREVER!!!!!!


Rosy wanted to run a bit to get feeling in her limbs again, and she convinced Fayth to join her.  Fayth was concerned that she would loose her flip flops when running.  A valid concern because just after I took this picture she lost said flip flop.  


At 5:30 we FINALLY rolled into Sault Ste. Marie, to Bethel Church.  Pastor Bruce met us at the door.  


It's a nice church, just off Hwy #17.  I emailed several churches in Sault Ste. Marie about a month ago, and Bethel responded allowing us to use their place.  Thanks Bethel.  


Here are the girls moving into their bedroom on the upper level of the church's fellowship hall.  


After we unloaded the van we met to discuss where we were going to eat.  Jacob decided to give us a short sermon as well.  Give the guy a pulpit and what do you get............?  : )  Annette decided to continue sleeping to get better.  



Fayth took over the co driver spot.  


We tried a couple of spots before we decided on Swiss Chalet.  An old favorite.  


It was a nice Swiss Chalet.  


Rosy was VERY happy to be getting food.  


They stuck us in the back corner of the restaurant.  A good thing because we were LOUD...well, that's not completely true.  Fontana and I were LOUD for the most part.  That Fontana.  What a ham.....she should really try out for the Redeemer plays....she would be so good!   I had a hoot at dinner time.  Fayth and Leah just watched in amazement at our antics.......



I don't think Leah liked her meal.......

Fontana finally had enough of me and turned away from me.  How RUDE!   : )  


After getting soda crackers and gingerale for Annette, Fontana offered to carry the pop. After walking a few steps, one can fell on the ground and got dented and shape shifted. Fontana ended up opening that can OUTSIDE of the van, thankfully.  : )  Ah, the joys of youth.....


We arrived back and the group set out to play volleyball for a bit.  




I began to download all the pictures for today's entry  (and a car wash we did this past Saturday, which will be posted tomorrow when I have more time) and when I looked out the window I smiled.  The group had moved on from volleyball to tackle duck duck goose AGAIN.  They just seem to LOVE that game.

We are now in the fellowship hall, mellowing.  Jacob is playing the piano and his harmonica.....I'm glad he took it along...and Ben and Chris are doing charades in the middle of the room....why, I have NO IDEA!  : )  

We will soon be off to bed, and it's up a 7 AM.  
Tomorrow we stay in a hotel in Thunderbay.....time for a shower...........
until then........

So, I'm done, but Jacob and Fontana wanted to say a few words on this blog too.  They are as follows, in their own typing.........I take NO responsibility for the content of the following statement....even though it may be only PARTIALLY true.......

Jacob types the following......
Before I finish, I would like to point out that some members of our youth group are greatly undervalued. Over the years, I have noticed that some of our youth, (Jacob and Fontana, for example) have grown to be mature, sophisticated, intelligent, and overall great people. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that they are the best kids - excuse me, young adults - that I have ever encountered. Please think of them especially throughout this time, and if you see them around, give them a firm handshake and smile. Oh yeah, Hannah comes in a close third. Well, thanks for listening to my rant, I've gotta go look up more cheesy jokes. Toodles! ;)

ps. I'd like everyone who knows Hannah to please buy her chocolate bars (fairtrade) and tell her how great she is. She has been such an inspiration throughout  this whole trip, I owe her a lot. Thanks! :)

  

No comments: