Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pastor Sergio's visit - Day 6, Thursday, April 14

Day 6.  It began REALLY early for us.  I was up at 6 am.  Not allot of sleep the night before.  This week is beginning to feel like a mission trip more and more.  : ) 

I picked up Sergio and Erin at 6:20 am and we drove to the church for the Thursday morning prayer group. 




This group has been praying for years now.  I have come in the past, but alas, mornings are not my best time.  For some who have been in this group when I was still in it,  it was like the prodigal son returning.  




Erin wanted to get a picture of me in the group, just to prove that I actually got up early to pray.  I figured why not simply fall back asleep again...and Cathy's shoulder looked great.  



After some discussion about different prayer issues we began to pray. Erin interpreted (apparently that's the proper name to give you now Erin, as it was stated on the National News tonight) for Sergio and it was a wonderful time of prayer.  

After prayer it was time for breakfast.  The group always gathers in the kitchen for a social time and some food.  Sergio met Peter and others in the group.  



It seems that Sergio likes LOTS of sugar in his coffee.  Pastor Ken made sure he had enough.  That sugar spoon was GIGANTIC.  : )   Sergio loved it.  


I'm not sure if Sergio had bagels before or not, but he enjoyed them very much.  



After prayer I dropped them back at Nick's place.  I grabbed a shower at home to wake up, and did some computer work and then it was back to pick up Erin and Sergio and travel to Ottawa Christian School.  




Paul, the Principal and Virginia, the promotions co-ordinator met Sergio at the door.   



We covered most of the school during our tour. It started in the gym.  Sergio was amazed at the size of it and how modern it was.  


He loved the library and computer room.  



My daughters, Sarah and Katrina go here.  Katrina met us in the hallway as we made our way to her classroom to introduce Sergio to her classmates.  



Sergio was introduced by Daniel.  When asked why Pastor Sergio was in Canada, he couldn't answer that question...I chuckled and then chimed in with the answer.  



Sergio said some words of greeting and then gave everyone a hand made wrist band.  Katrina loved it because she now has 5 of them on her wrist.  



More time spent talking about the school design.....oh Erin, is that you in the picture again.....sorry about that....well, not really....and what a nice pose you have in this picture....(tee, hee).  



On the floor in the school there is this thing called the 100 squares.  It's used to help kids in math.  



We went outside to see the play ground area.  Paul pointed out that the sand was special filtered sand.  Sergio pointed out that he didn't need special sand for his play areas.....he has plenty in Pachacutec...  : ) 


We went back in the school and stopped by the grade 6 classroom.  We spent a good chunk of time talking about the French language program OCS has started in Grade 6.  Sergio would like to get kids to learn English and liked the model that was being used by OCS. 

I've been amazed that at each Christian school Sergio has visited, some point has percolated to the surface that Sergio latched onto.  In CCS it was that the students and teachers all come on time.  In Redeemer it was, well, I can't remember what it was at the moment, but I'll get back to you on it.  In OCS it was the language program.  



We then went into Sarah's grade 8 class and Sarah introduced Sergio to her friends.  He once again spoke words of welcome and blessing and handed out the wristbands.   




I managed to find Sarah's artwork on the wall.  She's pretty good don't you think?   I think.....  : ) 



At the end of our time we enjoyed some freshly baked cookies and coffee.  Don't worry dear, Virginia cleaned up after herself in the Kitchen.  



Another T-Shirt for Sergio.  He's not going to have to worry about T-shirts for years at this rate.  : )  



The school put words of welcome on the school sign, so I had to drive by and take a picture.  Unfortunately the words didn't turn out on the picture, so you are just going to have to believe me on this one.  



We were slated to have lunch at Harold and Bea's, but I had to give them a call and let them know we were running on Peruvian time once again.  I think we were about 15 minutes late, so not so bad.  Sergio was having so much fun at OCS, I didn't want to tear him away.  We eventually made it to Harold and Bea's and here they are greeting each other.  



Bea has made several scrap books of her trip to Peru.  Here Sergio and Erin are taking a look at the books and having fun recognizing people.  




The food was great.  Soup with meatballs, bread, ham, and some sort of other dish that looked like pizza, but certainly wasn't..............what was it called again Erin??  Bea????





For dessert we had this wonderful fruit with cake.  It was the first time Sergio was having blueberries.  He loved it.  



He finished off dessert and I bet if he could, he would have licked the plate clean.....and I would have done the same just so he wouldn't have felt alone in that.....


I can't remember now if the "gift" was given before we went to the mission or afterwards, but I do know I didn't suggest anything about the "gift" this time around.  Erin isn't so sure on this.  HEY  another gourd.......cool!  : )  





After lunch it was time to visit the Ottawa Mission.  Harold volunteers here, and we wanted Sergio to see the other side of Ottawa and know that we have people who need help in our city, just like in Pachacutec.  



We were introduced to the energetic chaplain for The Ottawa Mission.  I didn't even know they had one.  I thought they only served meals....boy was I wrong.  I found out they've been around for 105 years.  Amazing.  


In the wall of the chapel are these tiles.  They have been made by the residents who stay at The Ottawa Mission.  They were beautiful.  



Sergio, and I, learned that The Ottawa Mission takes care of people in the last days of their life so they can die with dignity.  No one dies alone in this place.  This wall has the names of those who have left this life when they were in the care of The Ottawa Mission.  



The kitchen is what I've seen during our Special Needs SERVE's.  They serve 400+ people here.  Harold helps out on Tuesdays.  


I liked this staircase.   



I also liked this picture.  This was the learning centre.  It helps people get an education, all done through donations.


Here are the beds that the men sleep in while staying at The  Ottawa Mission.  


Here is the Chaplain's office.  He likes model cars, as you can see, and he uses them to help the clients there talk about things other than their life situations.  



As always, I snapped a picture with Sergio and his new friend.  



We soon returned to Harold and Bea's for some refreshment and rest.  I began to organize my blog pictures while they talked about issues of life, love, and theology.  

Erin needed a restroom break, and Sergio started talking to Bea while she was gone.  Sergio often apologizes to Erin and myself for repeating the same stories, but it came in handy here because I actually figured out what he was trying to tell Bea about his Son and his schooling in music.  I was able to interpret for Sergio.....that won't be happening too often, but it was cool to do.  



Before we knew it, it was time to travel to Brian and Ruth's for dinner  (man am I starting to gain some weight here).  Sergio loves to greet with a hug, and Brian lifted Sergio off the ground with this one.  I'm not sure Sergio was expecting that.    




Erin and Ruth saying hello.  Whatever happened to simple handshakes......just kidding, I know the culture and I love the way Peruvians greet one another.  We could use more of that too.  






Here you find Erin and Brian laughing......I'm not sure what they were laughing about again, but I AM sure it was at my expense.  



We sat down to another great meal.  Soup and mashed potatoes and broccoli and meat.   (I'm going to have to take up running soon.....I can't believe I'm saying that, and no Ken, I'm not running with you...I need to start slowly, like once around the church, and work my way up....  : ) ) 

Our discussions at each home have been different.  The theme that percolated to the surface around this table was nutrition and eating well. It's an issue in N.A., but also in Peru.  Sergio would like to be able to teach nutrition classes someday in Gamaliel church......he's trying to convince Erin to be the one to do that.  :  )  





Whew, a healthy dessert.  More fruit....Sergio was in heaven.....   : )  


Just before we had to leave, Ruth showed Sergio the wonderful collage that Bethany made of her trip to Peru.  I love looking at it.  



As we were about to leave I asked Erin if she was going to.....        


and then I didn't say anything....

She just stared at me (thinking I was asking if she was going to finish translating  (she was reading now, so that's the proper term for that) a poem that Bethany had written.  I was hinting at the "gift" just to see if I'd get that stare from her.....  It worked.....


Out popped the "gift".  She's so thoughtful.  



After dinner it was time to pick up my daughter and race off to the church for GEMS/Boys Club/Men's group.  Here you see Sergio talking with the kids.  He did a GREAT job.....he was upbeat and the boys were actually listening....that's something believe me......



Erin did a song with actions.  Even the boys did the actions. That's because Erin is so good with kids.  A natural for sure.  



Sergio looks on with glee.  Oh, I see that Shawn almost ducked out of the picture... almost....you and Erin have something in common Shawn.  You should start a club or something. 


Just before leaving the children, Sergio handed out banana chips.  They were a hit.  


Moving a few rooms over, we joined the Men's group.  Sergio shared a bit of his life story and his love for the Lord.  He encouraged these brothers to continue to meet together and pray for growth in this group.  

Some of the group joked with Sergio, wondering if he was able to put up with me and my jokes, etc.  Sergio is so gracious.   He did say, though, that he didn't quite know how to take me when we first met 7 years ago in Pachacutec.  We are good friends now.....and that's what counts.  




 Another picture with new friends. 


 We ended our night by joining the Spanish language crew.  Anna was taking Peter's place today because he's out of town.  Thanks Anna for helping us out.   The group is larger than this, but some of the group couldn't make it tonight.  



 Sam, who's been to Peru with us, came home from school this weekend so he could spend some time with Sergio.  Cool.  



Marsha is part of the Spanish learning group and she wanted to give some gifts to Sergio and Erin before they leave.  It's been really cool to see how the group from Cornwall has been blessed by this relationship.  

After a brief time in the sanctuary to check out the new speakers that are going up, it was time to get some gas for the van, some bus tickets, pancake mix and real syrup for  Saturday and then head off to take Sergio and Erin home.  

Whew, a long day.  I'm going to sleep well tonight.  It was a good day.  A day filled with new experiences, laughter, new ideas, new opportunities, and  new friendships.    We are entering the end run of Sergio and Erin's visit here.  I'm already feeling like I'm going to miss them greatly when they are gone.....for now, we enjoy the moment and our company together.  

Though I may bug you Erin, you've been amazing here and as Sergio says, what would we do without you........  : )  

adios, hasta mañana


No comments: