Friday, April 8, 2011

CIA/ETM Rubberball Tagzone Excursion

For the past year now, maybe more,  Chris, not my son, has been bugging me to have our youth group go paintballing.  It hasn't fit into our schedule, until this past week.  

I discovered that Ottawa no longer has indoor paintball, but there is a company that does rubber ball, which is pretty similar.  The difference is that you can reuse the rubber balls, and don't have to pay for new ones.  That can get quite expensive. 

I'd not done this sort of tag game before, so I wasn't quite sure how things were going to work.  It didn't seem to matter to those who went.  They were all pumped....


 Here is most of the group ready to go.  We even had one young adult tag along (no pun intended) from our Lofty Studies group.  You can see that most people wore extra clothing to protect themselves.  That would prove to be a good thing, though it really heats you up when inside the maze.  




 Trying to find Tagzone could be a bit difficult if you didn't use google maps and have a watchful eye.  This is it as far as finding the place.  You enter through one small door and then proceed down some stairs to the basement.  


 Once downstairs you see this long area filled with face masks and you hear the workers getting the air guns ready for us to use.  The place takes up 2 - 3 basements of the stores above.  I was quite surprised at how big it was once you got inside and starting shooting.  : ) 


 Before the fun can begin, 
it was time to pay and fill out a form.  


 You get the sense that these workers are serious about where they work..........



 Megan and Miranda waiting nervously after paying.  



 The group had to sit for a bit until everyone was registered and the workers had time for some safety instructions.  


This guy was a great instructor.  Funny, yet to the point.  He used Miranda as a live demonstration of what NOT to do with your air gun.  She didn't even flinch when he shot her in the back at close range  (don't worry Sandy and Cheryl, there was no ammo in the gun).  






 This would be the area we would gather in after each game was completed.  The noise was deafening at times, which was good.   Some games lasted 3 minutes, some 5.   



 The rubber balls fired from the guns do pack a bit of a punch.  Here Chris, my son, shows us just what can happen when hit at fairly close range.  They subside a great deal in a little bit, but you do remember them for a couple of days.  This didn't seem to deter anyone from playing.  Some even cheated and would not leave the game when hit.  That was too bad.   Or there was Kevin who hit me 4 times after he first hit me......I'll get you back for that sometime Kevin.    



The final game involved three of our adults being pitted against all the rest.  It was basically a turkey shoot and here you can see the results on Kevin.  He didn't seem to mind though because he said he got many others alot more than he got hit.  

If you want to see more pictures you will find them on Facebook, as taken by tagzone.  They offer that service. 
If you have facebook simply type in TAGZONE and it will lead you to the pictures.  They aren't up there yet, but should be by Monday or Tuesday of next week.  

I'll end with some observations about the night......

1.  Being yelled at that I was dead, but forgetting that that was protocol and not leaving the area until that wonderful person REALLY yelled at me.  :  (
2.  Parting the hair of Michael because he was SO Close to me, told me I was dead, and I lost it.......   :  )   
3.  Being shot at by Kevin THREE Times after I TOLD him I was dead because he got me......I'll get you for that Kevin.
4.  Having Chad shoot Kevin because I was distracting him as I tried to time him showing me his face.  SWEET! 
5.  Watching grown men act like children because they were having so much fun  : )
6.  Watching an amazement as Jonah crawled on the ground to get the briefcase for the mission impossible game.  He did it, and did it well.  You amaze me sometimes Jonah.  : ) 
7.  Knowing some of our group just can't handle the honesty thing and leave the area when they were shot.  I think Chad took care of some of them in the last round. 
8.  Listening to the deafening talk after each round as people described their harrowing experiences in the maze.
9.  Hearing SORRY so many times because team members accidentally hit other team members  (RIGHT)! 
10.  Listening to Fontana complain that she got hit way to early.  That's what happens when you freeze Fontana.
11.  Watching Megan put on someone else's facemask after it was all sweaty....eeuuwwww  !!!
12.  Seeing Kevin's bruised chest after the final round.....(got a picture of that).  He LOVED it though......
13.  Having a hard time typing today because my hand hurts where I got a shot.   They sure leave a bruise.  : )
14.  And Finally, being able to fulfill the dream of Chris B.  You know I live to do that Chris.....now don't BUG me any more.  : )
I think we'll do this again next year,  and this summer, OUTDOOR paintball MIGHT just be something to consider.....hmmmm eh Chad!!!! 










1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a fun time!! we definitly should do it again!!! and paintballing would be cool.. I've never done that wither before!!! :)