Saturday, March 8, 2014

Day 1 - Peru - Friday - Travel day

We have arrived in Lima.

All 44 of us. 

Something which I am very thankful for.
I’m thankful because on Thursday evening, I wasn’t sure that we would have all 44 of us going to Peru
Let me share with you what happened, and how God works in the midst of the chaos of life.

We have been preparing for Peru for some time now.  We were pretty much ready to go but for some reason, in the back of my mind, I had this feeling that this trip to Peru would be a different one.  I couldn’t shake the fact that our flights might have issues.  Not sure why, but just couldn’t shake that fact. 

Our flying this time was not doable out of Ottawa alone.  The plane was not big enough to hold all 44 of us so we had to split up our group into two different flights.  Sixteen out of Montreal, and 28 out of Ottawa.  I was not fond of this arrangement from the beginning, but had not choice really. 

On Thursday evening, at 5:00 pm, I was sitting in line at the Costco gas station, when an email came on my Iphone from Jackie B from Cornwall.  It stated quit ineloquently that the flight out of Montreal had been cancelled.  My heart almost stopped in the van.  How do you reroute 16 people on the Friday of March break? 

Gerry got right to work.  He called up United and began the process of trying to find alternate travel routes to Newark, N.J. which is where we were supposed to meet up.  I aged a few years. I felt bad for the Cornwall group, knowing that there was not much hope of getting them to Newark any longer by plane.  I also knew that God wanted us in Lima, so I waited to see what would transpire.  (well, that’s not entirely true.  I bugged Gerry by phone and email for answers.  Sorry Gerry.  : ) )

After a couple of hours on the phone, Gerry and the group ended up driving to Newark.  They arrived in plenty of time to take the plane with us, and for that we are all grateful.  Now one could say that it was inconvenient, frustrating, not nice of the airlines to plan so poorly by not having a crew available for a March break Friday morning flight, but I see things a bit differently now that I look back on things.

First, it was God who allowed Robert B to be the only one in Cornwall to check into his flight and not print his ticket, but ask that he receive it via email.  Because of that, Robert got the cancellation notice at 5 pm on Friday, not when they would have gotten to the airport (though I was planning on checking flight status’ when I got home later that evening.)  

Second, it was God who set up the 3 vans in advance that would be taking Cornwall to the Montreal airport at 2:30 am Friday morning. The cancellation out of Montreal, though inconvenient, was the best of the two to be cancelled because if we in Ottawa were cancelled, well, let’s just say the Trip would have more than likely only consisted of the Cornwall group going to Peru. 

It was God who moved the heart of this small van rental company to agree to drive this group to Newark so they could catch their flight.   It took 3 drivers from this company to agree to drive from 2:30 am to 10:30 am, and then return home again.  It was God who allowed them all to have U.S. passports as well. 

It was God who worked in the hearts of the United employee who will reimburse us for the lost fare from Montreal to Newark, which will pretty much cover the cost of driving. 

So, already we have seen the hand of God in our trip, and we haven’t even begun much yet.  A great answer to the question I will be asking again this trip, “How have you seen God at work in your life, or in the lives of others today?”  : )

It has been a long trip for all of us.  I didn’t sleep much because of all the planning of getting  things arranged on Thursday night.  We have all been pretty much awake for a day straight, but everyone is settling in to their beds and closing their eyes. 

I’ll now comment briefly on the pictures that Chris and I took today, and then it’s off to bed for me too.

Before I do that, please take the time to send your greetings via the blog post.  I filter them before posting, just so you know, and will read allowed to the whole group any words you type, just so you know again.  : )

Now, on with the pictures…………….





As the Cornwall group was already driving to Newark, our group arrived at the Ottawa Airport at 4 am.  The place was quiet….until 4:10 am….Everyone seemed to come at once for their flights.  : )   We all checked in flawlessly (my worry of our flight being cancelled did not come to fruition….thankfully) and went through security and customs smoothly.  By 5 pm we were sitting down and waiting for our plane to begin boarding.  Here are some of the group chillin’ 


Michelle and Lucy….they get along very well, and it seems that Lucy won a coffee from Tim’s.  Way to go Lucy.  


We were all pretty tired already, but here’s Sandy, all smiles. 
  


Cheryl will be helping the ladies in Gamaliel church learn knitting.  She’s knitting something now.   


Ben and Simon passing time with a game. 


Some of the group pulled out our Minion hats that we will be using for VBS.  Cute.
  


The large group waiting. 



Hmmmm, with Chris taking pictures now, I think I’ll be in some….sorry about that. : )   At least I’m still smiling.  

Cindy and Michelle.  I have the funny feeling I’m going to have my hands full with those two.  



 Martin and Colin passing the time. 


Annette got a new dooo for our trip…..she needs a smile too.  Hair looks nice though Annette.  




We have such a great group going again this year.  Always smiling and enjoying themselves.  Carmen and Silke and Bea taking time to smile for the myriads of pictures that will be taking of them….and others.  


Our gate of departure. 


We boarded the plane at 6:03….but got stuck on the tarmac for about an hour.  Some fort of issue with the fuel in the wings. Wasn’t balanced and they had to add more fuel to one wing…..interesting….The plan was super small…little puddle jumper




I can’t sleep on planes…..some people can. : ) 


This is a similar plane to ours.  


Eventually we were airborne.  I love to fly.  

I love the clouds. 

We arrived in Newark with hours to spare, so we let those needing to catch their connecting flights off first.   We then took a shuttle bus from Terminal A to C. 




We arrived at our gate, and relaxed.  It was time for breakfast…and also time to snap a shot of Mina and Colin.  


And Chris…. 



 And Mina and Carmen….Mina, you sure are social.  : ) 

Mina grabbed my camera and took a picture of Sarah, Bea and me.  Not bad Mina. 




Laura and Sarah and I walked to a restaurant and got some breakfast.  It was only 9 am after all. 


And what a breakfast it was for me. 


 Sarah liked her pancakes

 As did Laura.  
For both Sarah and Laura this was their first time flying.  They enjoyed it.  

The restaurant served THE best bacon I’ve ever had.  Here are pounds and pound of potential bacon aging.   

When we got back to our waiting area I found Cheryl knitting again, and Sheila reading.  She’s always reading…. 


Colin decided to get some sleep, though from his smile you can tell he’s not yet asleep.  


Ben and Chris just hanging out.  


Sandy and Simon challenging themselves to a game of chess.  As I took this picture, Simon was pointing out to his dad that he had just made a bad move, and it was going to cost him…  : ) 


Seems like Mina and Carmen have lots to talk about.   


Keep smiling Colin. 


 It was very hard to find power outlets to keep the laptop I’m using working, but I did manage to find one in the deserted part of our waiting area….on the floor…with no seats….sigh


 It was very hard to find power outlets to keep the laptop I’m using working, but I did manage to find one in the deserted part of our waiting area….on the floor…with no seats….sigh


Colin decided to come over and give me a wet whilly…thanks for the show of affections Colin.   


A nice big plane….thought it was going to be ours, but it wasn’t.  


 Passing the time playing Dutch Blitz. 

 …and at about 11:15 ish, CORNWALL ARRIVED.  I was relieved.  : ) 

So nice to see their tired, but happy faces.   


The man of the hour….GERRY!!! YOU ROCK!!!!


 Catching up on the trip….and yes, I’m wearing my reading glasses…FYI


Chillin’ 


Hmmmmm, there’s Sheila reading again…. 


And Simon……where’d everyone go?  


Dianne catching up others of the Ottawa group on their adventures.  




Steve being….well….Steve….he’s even a Pastor…..go figure… : ) 


Sarah working on her journal.  We have four people journaling their time in Peru:  Sarah, Dianne, Sandy and Cindy.  We all look forward to your reflective thoughts about the week (hint, hint, Sandy and Cindy.  : ) )  


As we were waiting for the plane, some of our group convinced the airport employees to drive them around on the electric buggies.  Awesome! 


 Time for Cornwall to have breakfast. 


Chris taking some “different” shots.  Artistic….  : )   



People will do anything to pass the time I guess.  


 At 2:20 pm we were on the plane and taxiing out to the runway.  I was relieved again.  : ) 


 Apparently Chris and Wilma and Amy got seats at the very front....lots of leg room.  I'm jealous.  


 The sunset was wonderful. 
The flight was uneventful, but not restful for Sarah and I. 
She watched too many movies.  : ) 


 We arrived in Lima at 10:18 pm.  
Went through Immigration, then got our luggage, then Customs and then out to meet Erin and Pepe and get on the buses. 


 This time we have an unusual bus. 
It was cool! 


 There's Pepe talking with Colin.  


 Our cool Bus.  


 Loading up the luggage.


 Erin and Pepe and I getting things organized.  
Erin looking very pregnant.  : ) 


 Inside the bus.  Everyone still smiling.  


 A view from the front of the bus.  


 Erin giving instructions for the Hostel we are staying at. 
Like, don't drink the water. 
No toilet paper down the toilets....stuff like that.  

 A better picture of Erin.  


 We are home.....  : )  Time to unload....


And time for bed. 
So ends day one.  It's 2 am, and time for me to post this entry and go to bed. 

We are thankful for safe travels
To all be here, 
And to get rest for our first day in Patchacutec.  
YAHOO!!!!!!



22 comments:

Olivia Ellens said...

Hey!!! Great first blog entry Ron! FYI it's around 2:20 in the morning and yeah i'm spending this time reading the blog- because i'm the most devoted blog reader-starting today. Sounds like an eventful first day! Twas here in Canada too- never knew the field behind our school was so big or so deep- with the stuff called snow (remember? fluffy cold and white? It's a Canadian thing) anyhow if anyone ever tells you there's a restaurant called Sam's back there- don't believe them cause that place doesn't exist. All i got out of that trip was a lot of falling in a lot of snow (the fluffy, wet, cold, white stuff). Anyhow can't wait to hear about the rest of your travels! Praying for you all and keep doing great things! -Olivia

big sister said...

I am so thankfull that you all made is safely there especially my Cornwall peeps. Robert I did some rearranging in the house it's awesome I have moved the ps3 to the bedroom so I can watch Netflix, have a good day or hope you had a good day depending,
Jackie

Harold Vandermeer said...

Thanks for the pictures! I miss Beas's smiling face. Thanks to God that you ALL arrived there together, what with a cancelled flight and delayed flights. Seeing Pepe and Erin, you guys are so going to enjoy your week! And Ron, I will appreciate your blog, and will endure your spelling mistakes! :-)
Prayers for a safe and blessed week.
Harold

Mike B said...

Glad everyone got there safely! Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

So great hearing that everyone got to Peru safely! Huge shout out to the cornwall people (&Opa) and especially momma and dad <3 James & I miss you guys already & can't wait to hear about the stories :) send our love to the people your going to see <3

James & Sarah

“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” – Henry Miller

I saw this and thought you might like it, but for you guys I think its both!

Unknown said...

That bites that you had to jump through some last minute hoops to get everyone there. High five to Gerry for making it happen. Good work Super G.

Ron, this looks very similar to the place that we were at last time I went (4 years ago?) is it actually or just similar?

Ben and Laura we're praying that you have a good time and learn some things while you're down there. May it be an interesting time.

Congratulations to Pepe and Erin. Didn't know you were pregnant. Have fun becoming parents.

Kevin and Carmella

John said...

Ben: You didn't bring in the garbage cans. I'll leave them for you until you're home again.
Tobie: Two cars at home and only one driver. Say no more.
Lucy: We had Pannekoeken for breakfast today. Ella has replaced you as the whip cream princess.
Samantha: Sorry you had to miss the games at CTC yesterday. Carleton won.
Annette: Do the cats really need to be fed while you're gone?
Love you all and miss you all.

the Girards said...

.Hi Marsha! I'm very happy that your travels have been safe and have worked out. I've been praying for you and I know you'll do an awesome job with your workshops Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday! I will continue to pray for you! Love Addie:)

the Girards said...

Steve: Hey George got that sweat under control you know what sweat I'm speaking of. Hope your first day went well, it goes so quickly.Praying for you and remembering the wonderful time I had with our brothers and sisters in Peru.Work hard, pray harder, sing louder you will be blessed. Gtg fishing on 30 inches of ice. Did you sign up for dishes every day? I bet you did! Have a great time brother! love you Steve.

the Girards said...

Hey all you young ladies saw a picture of the hair braiding, just want to let you that you have hair braider extraordinaire right there amoungst you her initials are LAB!!! Make sure you all get your professional braids at some point this week! Wishing you all a blessed trip, you are in our thought and prayers. Jackie

the Girards said...

Hey Josh V they already miss you at Timmies, so I was told! Hugs and kisses to you from all of us, especially Oma!! We will be watching for pictures of you working hard and better yet playing with those beautiful children!

the Girards said...

Steven K, you left Brayden all alone this weekend, I need you there to encourage the healthy eating habits;) He wishes you well.

Robert W said...

Glad to hear everyone is safe and sound and ready to have an amazing week. The Lord will lead you and give you strength as you bring his word and joy to Gamaliel. All the best. Brenda, thank you for the card. XOXO

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that the Cornwall group made it safe and sound to Newark,was praying for them. Nancy,I hope you left the armrest attached to the van :) Hope you all have an amazing week!
Garnet (aka cupcake)

Josie W said...

It was nice to see them all on the last leg of their journey and looking quite well. Say hello to Sarah Kaldeway, love from Nannie and Opa.

Josie Wubs

John said...

To the Cornwall people:
In case you were interested, I checked on google maps to see how long it would take to drive all the way to Lima from Cornwall. Google didn't have the answer. However it claims it's 81 hours to drive to the Panama canal. But after that you'll have to figure out the South American part without Google's help.

John said...

Hey, tell Sam, Tobie and Lucy they missed a couple good games tonight. Tomorrow Carleton plays Ottawa U in the championship game.

Sandra said...

So, so,so glad you made it! Missing you already. Praying for all of you and for the relationships that you build, the love that you share.

the Girards said...

Hi Marsha, its very sunny here today (yay!) I'm glad you guys had a good day and good luck with your workshops tomorrow! Still continuing to pray for you:)-Addie

Hennie said...

Thought I left a comment...hmm where is it? Anyway was saying Wow can't keep those Cornwallites down. So thankful you all made it. Will be keeping close tabs and praying. God bless you!

Anonymous said...

better late than never, looks like a really long flight, hope the bed was comfy - gordon K

Anonymous said...

iii