Thursday, November 18, 2010

Intergenerational Church School

Intergenerational Church School.  

Definition = Parents and teens getting together to talk about issues of faith and life

Meeting Time = Sunday mornings from 8:30 - 9:30

What happens =  A light breakfast is served from 8:30 - 8:45 ish, and then a time of teaching and interacting happens. 

How often:  in four week cycles, with a week break in between.  

As you have guessed this is a ministry initiative that happens at Calvin CRC.   It's in its 4th year now.  




Here are some from the group getting their breakfast.  I'm not a morning person by nature, but I don't mind getting up early and knowing that I'll be meeting with others for a time of fellowship over some food so early in the morning  (early for ME!  : ) )  










Coffee is a very important component of our morning times.  




Here is the group meeting together during our teaching times.  

At present we have about seven to eight family units participating.  The ages of the youth that are invited to attend are grades 7  - 12, but my daughter, aged 8, comes and another family has a son who is in college and attends.  The important element is that it is intergenerational.  

Having done this for 3 years, I see the importance of this time with our families, even if it means getting up early on a Sunday.  It's important because I know that it's hard for some families to talk about issues of faith and life.  I've had a parent tell me just that, yet they value these mornings because they give moments for discussions to happen afterwards and things do get easier the longer they do this.  

I've had other families lead the discussion times, and this has proven helpful for them as well.  

I hope we can continue this practice for some time, and if you aren't part of it, but could be, we invite you to attend.  

No comments: