Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Gem of a Concert

Last Sunday evening I took several of our youth group to Woodvale Pentecostal Church to a concert hosted by "Article One."  I  originally received the invitation for this concert from the youth network here, and what caught my eye was the speaker.  

Dave L  was his name.  Now that name resonated with me.  It brought me back to my days in Sarnia as a youth pastor.  Dave was also a youth pastor in the Sarnia area and we did a lot of things together in ministry.  His improv group came to our barn services and we had a hoot.  Our Sarnia Youth Network did interdenominational youth services together and that network really worked well together. 

When I saw his name, it gave me a chance to reconnect with someone I hadn't seen in a while.  I also decide to get my youth group to go to hear him because I knew he would be funny, direct, and to the point.  I was not disappointed. 


I don't know how well Article One is known in the music world.  There were only about 200 young people there.  I was expecting many more.  However, once in a while you get those concerts that are special and this was one of them.  


We met several young people from other CRC's, even as far away as Williamsburg.  The evening began with a 45 minute set from "Nine 0 Five."   A band from Ajax, Ontario.  They were good.  


Then Dave came on stage and had us laughing and learning about our relationship with God and how we all need to get out of the boat and serve God.  I like Dave's style.  He's funny, direct, short [timewise that is], and you get what he's trying to communicate to you.  


He is also a spokesperson for Compassion International and challenged the group to sponsor children with Compassion.  His family sponsors two children now, and his story about how they came to sponsor their second child was amazing.  


Being sponsors of a beautiful child ourselves, [and my mom and dad sponsoring her little sister] and having the privilege to have actually met her in Peru made his story that much more special for me.  I hope others were challenged to consider sponsorship.   Blessings as you continue your work in Sarnia Dave. 


After a 15 minute break it was time for Article One.  For the next two hours I watched from the back of the church as many young people were blessed by a great group of Christian young adults.  The songs were powerful, the musicians talented (and yes, the girls in the audience  thought the boys in the band were really cute too)  : ) .  What struck me was that even though the crowd was small, this musical group played like it was a concert packed to the rafters with youth.  


They challenged, prayed, sang, and entertained.  God was at work in that room that night.  I know that for some of our group, the boys in Article One were the main attraction, but they also got something out of what was being sung and said as well.  I thank Article One for their willingness to serve and to put on concerts like this.  


The cost was only $10, but it was the best $10 that these youth, or their parents, spent in a while.  Many youth missed a gem of a time that night.  Too bad.  


  



4 comments:

Chris said...

What do you mean by "the boys were the main attraction" :P

Anonymous said...

hey, God works in mysterious ways, even through a band with cute boys. :)= Ron

Jeannine Westra said...

haha, actually that's a picture of ME giving Chris pointers on how to get the paint in the cup :P

Ron said...

Oh, that explains why his head is looking away from David. I just thought Chris was ignoring him. : )