Monday, July 6, 2015

SERVE 2015 - Day 4: Worksites and routine

Day 4. 
I confess, I'm tired today, so forgive me for the impending typo's that will happen.  For you purists who get frustrated with that, join me for the week and we'll see how it goes for you.  : ) 

Morning came a bit earlier today. 
Breakfast was at 8 am, instead of 8:30 am. 

 Our morning kitchen crew. 
Our three men have returned.  
THANKS for serving in this way.  
Ruth is planning for the day as well. 

Apparently some of us colour coordinated today.   
SERVE t-shirt from a previous year. 


Looking at my Blog AGAIN!.  

So validating.  : ) 


Morning devotions with some help today from Tyler.   


French toast and sausage today.   


Kitty supervising.  



Looks good Tyler. 


Gotta get that butter on eh Philippe.  ? : )  


Shawn getting ready for the work day with a full breakfast.  


The rooms seem to be staying somewhat tidy this year....
I think they are on to us in taking pictures during the week. 



After breakfast it was time for work sites. 
Each year we travel to various places in the city to SERVE. 
Here's Kyle at RCHS cleaning the lockers. 
A yearly event.  


Shawn working hard too.  


Rey making sure he's doing a good job.  : )  



The sign that sits in RCHS.  


Hmmmm....really Olivia.....can you get out?  


Liam working at the BFM store.   



With Philippe sorting shoes I think.  


John found a great game.   


Janika sorting through the puzzles.
I bet she wanted to take one home... 


Emily, that looks really interesting.   


Christie at Starwood Extendicare I think.   


With Lisa helping with the beanbag toss.   





Christie having fun. 


Heather and Stephanie with a resident. 


My group went to the Food Bank Farm. 
We cut zucchini for 1.5 hours.    


We weeded the rows of crops. 
This is all done organically and mostly by hand with volunteer labour.   


The zucchini in the boxes ready to go to the Ottawa Food Bank for distribution.  


Alex found a REALLY BIG weed.  He wanted us all to know.   


We also planted (I forget what).  
It took a while, but eventually we got the hang of doing this.  


We planted 400 plants.
Quite a feat.  
They all did great work today. 

Tomorrow more work sites.  




Lunch was at 12:30.  
Sandwiches and fruit.   


Always a nice spread.   

Hey, a food shot with Mark. 
Sweet!!!! 


Alex and Nicolette and Katrina.  Cute picture.  


Small group time with Joey.  


Steven making a heart out of Plasticine.  

  


This used to be a do it yourself book.  


It has been converted into something much better. : ) 


Becca helping out.   


Whoa...Ben.....interesting.  


Lisa staying well within the lines.   


The plethora of towels hanging out to dry.   


That's interesting Braidon. 
Using that for showers later on? : )  


Down time for Nathaniel   


That's a nice picture of Shawn.   


After small group time we travelled to the stables of the RCMP musical ride.  
This is the training stable.   


Horse shoes warn by various horses.  


John loved the horses..well, most of us did.   


The carriage where the Governor General and Queen would ride in when in Canada.   


Jessica, a cute picture.  


Trying out a Saddle are you Chrstina? 


At the museum and Philippe still wants to draw.  : )  


Me and my new friend.   


Too furry actually. 
Had to spit out the hairs.  : )  


We had some time to kill so we blew up some beach balls and took a walk outside to find more horses.  Evert looks like this isn't going so well.  : ) 


Walking and beach ball throwing.  
Seemed to work.  : ) 


But not for everyone.   


The horses were amazing.   


Tall and beautiful.   

Friendly too, but we weren't allowed to touch them.   


Alex loved them.  

After showers (badly needed : ) ) 
It was supper time. 
Shepherd's pie.   


Joey regaining strength with great food.  


Shawn and Joanna waiting their turn for food.  


Worship was next. 
The group is still growing on stage.  So much so the music team is having a hard time  fitting on the stage.  : ) 


Participatory songs.  
Looks like people are coordinating.  


Ryan and others feeling the music.   

A great view again from the balcony.   


You get an idea how much the stage is getting congested. 
A nice problem to have.   


And then it was Marks turn to speak again.  


He did something here with Justin, but I don't recall what that was.....hmmmmm 


 Braidon and I did a skit tonight.  
Braidon wanted some of my chips, but there was NO WAY I was going to give him some. 


I left the room (for a day actually) and while gone Braidon ate my chips.
 I came back and was REALLY mad that Braidon did this. 
I wouldn't forgive him. 



DeShawn enjoyed the Skit. 


And Jordana was really into it as well.  


I wouldn't forgive Braidon.  


So Mark brought me into the workshop to teach me about Love.   



We reenacted the Crucifixion of Jesus. 


Deshawn played Jesus and Francine and Nathaniel the criminals.  



Ben was a soldier, as were others.  


The criminals had to wear this.   


The cross on which Jesus died to forgive my sins. 
Lesson learned.   


Mark read us a passage several times to reinforce this message.  


And then it was time for Jesus Loves me, with everyone hugging each other.   


Or putting a hand on the shoulder.   

Here's Brittany and Shannon dancing to the praise songs. 
Really neat to watch.  
Brittany just go Shannon to do this.   


By asking her too.  


Christina in Worship.  


After Worship, was craft time. 
Finishing off the painting started yesterday.   


Jessica's turned out well.   


As did Lisa's 


And Francine's.   


 Actually they were all amazing.  


Alex was really proud of his. I think he showed EVERY ONE of us.  : )  


Just before bed time, it was snack time. 
Here's Lysanne and Zach enjoying watching the sun set. 
It was beautiful tonight. 

So, off to bed all the participants went and we retired to the youth room for our time of sharing. hmmm, I'm going to have to ask Lisa for a picture of that...we seem to have forgotten about that.  

Another night of laughter and joy as we recalled the days events.  Justin is REALLY hyper tonight, and no sugar was added to the mix, I don't think. : )

Again, I'm really proud of all these mentors. 
They continue to step up when asked to do things and they are learning how to work with their Participants more and more.  They are not afraid to ask for help and they are not afraid to try new things.  
Great to see young people motivated to SERVE and love unconditionally.  

At about this point in our week, 1/2 way actually I always start to think about next year.  
Will we do this again. 
Will our planning team want to do this again. 
I always hope so, but never know so. 
This event will not happen without dedicated persons with the great talents we have. 
No, no one is irreplaceable, but this planning team has a special place in my heart.  They are dedicated, talented, loving, kind, and go above and beyond the call. 
Have I buttered you all up enough to at least think about next year yet  : ).  I know, wait till January. 

So as I say goodnight, my thoughts and emotions churn and I am filled with joy and pride and love for our planning team and mentors.  This is such an awesome week to be a part of.  I hope you get that sense as you read these entries. 

Blessings to you all and see you tomorrow night. 



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a blessing this is. I am a mamma to lots of these "special" people and I know very deeply how much this is a blessing to your participants and their families. Hats off!

Val said...

God is working so beautifully through you all!
Will pray especially for strength and patience today. Phil 4:13


Fred said...

Thanks Ron for giving us a daily perspective on this amazing project. It seems that it will be a lasting memory for all. God bless! - Fred