Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sr. Girls Redeemer Christian High School Semi Final Volleyball Match Feb 23, 2011

The day has arrived.  After our Quarter Final play, which was amazing as you know, and a less than stellar practice on Monday (they are supposed to be lousy so you play better in games), today was our semi-final play day.  

I confess I was very excited, and very nervous, about this day.  Excited because I knew we had a chance at winning today, and nervous because I knew we also had a chance that we'd choke and lose.  It's happened before.  : )

Both Redeemer and St. Francis Xavier were in the semi's because they had knocked out the top ranked teams in our league.  That's confidence on both sides and I was well aware of that as we entered into this match.  

It just so happened that St. Francis arrived early to Redeemer.  I arrived at 2:40 pm and saw them in the school cafeteria.  I welcomed them to Redeemer, and congratulated them on their win.  I mentioned to them that we had done the same as them, and then I couldn't help myself, and told them that I just had that feeling that we were going to beat them today.  

Naturally they looked at me a bit shocked, but I wanted to rattle their chains a bit and give us any edge we could get.  They took it in stride and we joked about it some more and then I made sure they got their change room settled and were able to prepare for the game.  

I met Jillian in the hallway and she told me she was really nervous.  Many of the other team members were feeling the same.  I couldn't blame them, but hey girls, don't forget that you are in the semi's for a reason.  You are GOOD!  







 I decided that a good pep talk before things began would be a good idea.  I gathered the team together and reminded them how good they were, and that they were in the semi's because they were good.  I reminded everyone that now was the time to focus, be intense, believe in yourself, and play like it. Apparently I was very intense during this talk, as some of the team members told ME to relax.  : ).  







After the pep talk, it was time to warm up.  Look at that height from Julianna.  Amazing!   Even Damaris was jumping well today.  Way to go.  





Time to stretch out so nothing rips or tears in the body.  Very important to do before a match.  



 During warm up it was time to some one-on-one pep talks.  I knew that Janessa knew that I knew she was struggling a bit last match.  I just wanted to remind her today to believe in herself, try extra hard, be extra sure, hit extra hard, serve extra well, and yes, after all that, to have fun.  No pressure, eh!  : )    She knew.  She understood.  I was feeling good about Janessa today.  





 While waiting for the referee to arrive I had the team do some hitting to our setters and then to me, keeping the ball in constant play to warm them up.  Here's Emmalin hitting.  


 After a bit, I had Janelle take my place so I could sit down and figure out my starting line up.  As mentioned in my previous entry, I never quite know who I'm going to start until just before we play.  I decided to go with:

Setters = Jillian and Rachel
Middles = Julianna and Kelsey
Power = Janessa and Janelle
(boy, there are alot of girls names that start with J on this team)

 

Julianna needed to prove to me today that she was up for play.  She has been great during the regular season, but has struggled with her play in the last couple of matches.  Again, she's an amazing VB player, but every player struggles with confidence at times - that's just the way it is.  

I decided to give her that chance and sit Esther out.  I was just glad to have Esther in our line up today.  Seems she almost wasn't able to play, but that's a story she can tell you about sometime if she wants to.  : ) 

Esther was sick and coughing, so I wanted to rest her if I could for a time, and see what Julianna was ready to do.   




 The referee finally arrived and we did the coin toss.  Now you need to know something about our two captains, Janelle and Jillian, and the wonderful coin toss at the beginning of each match.  It seems that so long as Janelle is present for the coin toss, we lose 9 times out of 10.  Sorry Janelle, but that's just the way it is.  : )    Not so today.  

Even though we didn't call it, we ended up winning the toss today.  Things were looking up.   


Speaking of looking up, our 5 - 5 warm up soon began.  Here you can see Jillian setting for Kelsey to spike the ball.  


 Mr. L, in the background and in the middle of this picture, is my official assistant coach (that comment will make more sense in a minute).  Interesting to note, it seems we have the same facial expressions.  : )  I wonder how we managed that?




 Our Referee on the right.  He's been doing this for 21 years. I like his reffing style.  Consistent and by the book.  We've had him only at the tail end of our season.  




 Hey, that's a picture of me.  Thanks for taking that David.  I think I'm really starting to get nervous here.  You live in the moment in a season like we are having, and even though I was nervous for the girls, this has been the most fun I've had coaching VB in a long time.  A great team, with great potential that steps up when they need to.  Thanks for the memories so far ladies, and hopefully we'll make a few more during this match.  



 It's game time everyone.  
We begin the match.  
Everyone is ready and focused.  



 Remember that comment earlier about Mr. L. being my official assistant coach.  This is Shawn, who coaches the Jr. and Sr. Boys Vollebyall Teams for Redeemer.  He was my unofficial assistant coach.  : ) 

He started out as a lines person (thanks for that Shawn), but then he moved off that job and began coaching the girls from a distance.  I laughed.  Shawn's competitive for sure.  Thanks for the advice Shawn (it was all good), and thanks for willing the girls to want to win.  I appreciated it.  

So, before I finish off commenting on the rest of the pictures, I figure I might as well tell you about what happened in the match. 

We began set 1 a bit nervous I think.  My teams have always had issues with that first set.  They often lose the first set, and either come back, or continue to lose.  

We lost the first set, and it wasn't even close.  I was beginning to think I'd have to eat my words said to St. Francis Xavier in the cafeteria. : )    Time for the coach to step up and make some decisions about his players. 

Julianna had given up some points that I thought she shouldn't have, so it was time for a change.  Julianna out, Esther in.  I didn't switch out Mercedes and Janessa in the first set, but Janessa did miss a serve (or two maybe), so that was also going to happen in the second set.  

Set #2
With the slight adjustment, we began set 2.  Things seemed to go much smoother.  Even though Esther was sick, she was ready to play today.  Her sideways hits off the middle and blocks were bang on.  Not alot of power needed, just proper placing of the ball, and she was finding the holes on the other team just fine.   

I ended up switching Mercedes and Janessa a couple of times to let Mercedes serve and play a bit, and she did just fine as well.  

We ended up winning the second set handily.  

Set #3:
We were now tied one set a piece.  No time to let up, at least that was what I told the team.  They were listening.  I kept the line-up the same, with the intention to substitute Janessa and Mercedes.  

The team played well.  Good solid service receives and hits. Rachel's serves were good, as were the others.  Even Janessa seemed to find her groove.  I was going to substitute Janessa, but as I tried to do that, Mercedes told me to keep her in.  I hesitated  for a moment, but again, wanted to trust my team, so I honored her request.  I was impressed with Mercedes' trust in her fellow teammate.  

Janessa stepped up and began serving very well.  Whew!  : ) 

Set #4

The final set began okay, but hit some bumps (pun intended) along the way.  I had to call a time-out to refocus the girls after the ball dropped to the ground on our side - something that causes coaches to pull their hair out (if they have any).  

I did put Julianna back in again.  She wanted to play, and I wanted her to play.  She started off a bit shaky, but found her feet (pun intended again) and did a great job in the back row bumping to our setter.  It was fun to watch.  I knew she was having a bit of an issue with the front row and the net, so just to be safe, I put Kelsey back in the front row.  In the end we ended up pulling it out and winning that 4th set.  

It was neat to see all the people who came out to watch the game.  Parents, students, alumni. Even some past volleyball players I used to coach.  Nice to see.  Even Rogers Cable was there taking snap shots of the game.  Too bad I can't get Rogers at home.  : )  

So, we are on to the FINALS.  Yahoo!  We play on Friday, against Immaculata I've just found out.  I'm hoping the game is at 2 pm, as I have to travel to a retreat after the game, but it could be at 4 pm too.  Still working on that one. 

 
I am very proud of this team. Even those who sat on the bench today and did not play, and yes, some of them did not.  We are where we are at because the whole team got us here.  Remember that on Friday when we receive either first or second place medals, no matter who plays.  

Now, to conclude with some more pictures and video of the last set.    





 Kelsey and Janessa standing at the ready.  



 Jillian.  Strong, smart, fast, and funny.  She never gives up on the court.  Thanks for your leadership these past two years.  


 Kelsey.  Quiet, strong, determined, and always thinking on the court.  An amazing middle player, and great server.  



 Mercedes.  Someone who, even though she can be her own worst enemy on the court, has grown by leaps and bounds in skill over the past season.  Remember that Mercedes and you better come back next year!!!!!  



 Janelle putting a ball deep.  Janelle has been an amazing setter all season long, but has been even better these last two matches as a power hitter.  You should be proud of all you've done these past two years on the court Janelle.  Thanks for being co-captain.  



 Esther and Rachel and Janessa.  More about Esther and Rachel in a moment.  


Janessa.  I know you continue to struggle with confidence, but today you won that inner battle.  Nice to see.  Keep it up.  We'll need that confidence on Friday, and next season  : ).  



 Janelle's overhand serves have been getting better, but Monday's practice wasn't great for them, so I decided to go with her strength.  Underhand.  Great job Janelle.  




Rachel, you've stepped it up as a setter.  Thanks for doing that.  We missed you at the Tournament.  I can't imagine how much farther we could have gone with you there (no guilt intended by that comment BTW : ) )  



This is a picture of Jillian hitting a spike.  I've been amazed at how well she actually hits a spike, for such a short person (sorry Jillian, I couldn't help myself).  Great work Jillian.  



And a final comment left for Esther.  Today, you were definitely the MVP.  You gave us so many points with your side to side hits, blocks and yes, even some pretty strange and amazing moves.  Great work Esther.  Get well before FRIDAY!!!!!  : ) 


I'll close by giving you a YouTube link to the 4th set of today's match in it's entirety.  I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did.   


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nrB_z1S5cQ




Until Friday..........................




1 comment:

Teresa said...

Pei pa koa is pretty decent cough medicine (from herbal as I remembered), great non alcoholic medicine, some western cough medicine are more effective, but this is non drowsy.

You can access info online @
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
ninjiom.50webs.com