Friday, June 24, 2011

Calvin's Church Picnic - June 2011

It's almost summer time and that means it's time for Calvin's annual church picnic.  This year, as in many other years, it was held at Andrew Haydon Park.  



The picnic was scheduled to start at 5:30 pm, and I was bringing a BBQ and other church items, so I decided to arrive a bit earlier.   


Good thing I did, because the weather wasn't looking  very promising.  I wanted to get unloaded before a storm would be passing through.  I did so just in time.  



Jeannine and her parents arrived early too, to help prepare the food before everyone else arrived.  Due to the storm that was passing through, Jeannine spent a great deal of time on her phone taking calls and texts from the Young Adults to see if the picnic was still on.  I received many calls as well.  We felt the storm would blow over so we said the picnic was still on.  We ended up making the right decision. 



Pat arrived early as well.  I learned that this motorcycle actually has a reverse.  You learn something new every day. 


When the storm hit, Pat put his bike under the shelter.  Good thing, because it rained hard for about 15 minutes.  


Fran soon arrived with the food and we we pressed on with preparations, despite the rain.    


Here's Peter slicing the lettuce.  





Tradition is to have some nice cakes for dessert.  Here they are.  They looked yummy, and tasted even better.  




There is a sign on the shelter post that says not to feed the animals in the park.  As usual, someone thought it might be funny to comment that I should not be fed then.  Ha, Ha.  Not to be outdone, Jackie decided to prove her point, and I was happy to oblige.  Sorry, but they did end up feeding some animals today.  

The storm eventually blew past us and we were able to get our picnic under way.  



Three BBQ's were used this year.  Pat, Leo and myself were the chef's for this picnic.  Pat cooked well, I cooked well, and well, Leo, he did more talking than cooking. Every time I looked over, he was joking with someone.  It sure is hard to find good help these days.  : ) I must say that we inhaled a lot of smoke this evening.  



Jeannine and William coordinating with the same RCHS t-shirts.  


Just in case you thought I was kidding about Leo talking....look who's grilling....look who's talking....I rest my case.  : ) 


MMMMM,  hamburgers.  Don't they look GREAT!  



Some Young Adults helped move some picnic tables near the shelter so we could all have a place to eat.  



Looks like some of the Young Adults walked to the park from a long way.  Right Phil?



Once everything was prepared (we BBQ'd for about 1/2 hour before we started eating, and then for 1/2 hour more) Pastor Ken opened the evening with Prayer. 


Let the devouring begin!



Cheryl came prepared for the picnic.  That is a large umbrella.  



Louise and Fran.  
The planners of this picnic.  
Thanks for all your work.  



Though there is always food at a picnic, the real reason to come is to socialize, and socialize we did.  



Jason and Angela having a good time




Stuart and Christine with her boy.  I think she mentioned something to me about eating a raw hamburger.....I saw it....it was raw ish.....I think Leo cooked that one. : ) 



Some of our young people came out for the picnic as well.  Nice to see you Jonah, David and Chris.  





Many of our young adults came out to eat and socialize too. 



Grandmother and Grandson.  



Hannah wanted me to take this picture of her handiwork.  


Erin just happened to have a Bday the same day as our picnic, so we sang her a pretty good rendition of happy Bday to her.  



A picnic finished off with dessert.  A nice way to end an evening of fellowship and food.  The weather cleared up and everyone had a great time.  Another Calvin picnic in the books.  Thanks to all who came out and helped eat the food.  Until next year..........


No comments: