Monday, November 30, 2009

Brockville Youth Service - November 29/09

This past Sunday C.I.A. took a trip to Brockville CRC to enjoy a youth service put on by one of the churches from our Classis. Ken and I drove and eight YP came along. I got stuck with the girls.
Here are Megan, Leah, and Rosy sharing ear buds for their ipod (I always find that to be soooooo GROSS). Apparently they were hoping Chris would be in the van too, so they could utilize our ipod gizmo that you plug in and it uses your radio to play (all too complicated for me to figure out).
Chris was in Ken's van on the way up. Here he's talking to the girls who were in my van via cell phone. They were requesting a song that he was playing. Apparently that gizmo that Chris was using is good up to about 40 ft. So our van could actually hear what he was playing - so long as I had the same station playing. All good, except for the fact that I didn't want Ken tail-gating me the whole way to Brockville.
Once we arrived in Brockville, some of our group got busy playing hockey in the parking lot.
The girls got busy doing what girls do...socializing.
Others got busy playing different board games.

It seems that Hannah, Leah, Rosy, and Megan decided to play in the dirt outside. Sorry about that parents....I can't control EVERYTHING they do. Face painting with mud? What will they think of next!

They must have been rolling in the dirt too. Just look at those pants!

Here is the group playing another game.

Usually we have soup and buns for a youth service meal. Not this time. Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread and Lasagna. MMMM good. I still hadn't recovered from the Christmas Party, so I didn't eat that much.

Here are the Salads ready to go.

We had about 60 YP out for the night.

During dinner it seems that Hannah and Chris decided to make a new drink. Yuck! Why is it that every time there's something mischievous going on, Hannah seems to be close by..........

Alex came to church this evening too. Alex and Chris were matched up at our July Special Needs SERVE this past July. That was a nice surprise for Chris, and I think Alex too.

Brockville CRC has a gym. Some of the kids played volleyball, and others shot some hoops. Here's Chris doing a great layup. You just need to know that he's only 1 inch off the ground as the nets had been lowered.

You can see that better in this picture.

Here we are just about to start our worship time. What a GREAT time it was. Pastor Jack and the praise team did and awesome job. I almost felt like I was in a Pentecostal church (a good thing BTW). Pastor Jack gave a great sermon on:

1/2 - 2 - 1 - 2

Translated that's "have-to want-to".

In live we don't have to do things as a Christian and be legalistic about things. We do things for God because we want to. A nice way to grab our attention.

After the service we ate some cookies and then headed home. It was a good afternoon and evening together. On the way home Chris came with me, as Kevin joined up with us in Brockville. The girls were VERY happy because he has a tonne of music and they had a tonne of requests. I discovered some things anew during that trip:

1. YP have VERY short attention spans.

2. Songs need only be 1 verse long because it seems that's about how much is listened to (or at least was on this trip home). I think I heard about 60 songs on the way home, and only 3 of them were complete.

I told Chris all he had to do was listen to the sampler on Itunes from now on. Why buy the song when you don't listen to it in its entirety?

As a post script to this entry, I wanted to share with you a video of our trip to Brockville. It seems we have some rising singers in our group. Unfortunately, you can't hear the song, but hey, mime is always good, and the entertainment factor in this video is worth seeing alone. Enjoy! : )

2 comments:

Leah said...

Thanks for posting that ron!! WOW I didn't know it was THAT embarassing!! HAHA hannah should be SUPER embarassed!!!

LOL

Leah

Anonymous said...

So Ron, you find sharing ear buds gross? Pretty amazing coming from a guy who likes ABC gum!!!