Saturday, August 8, 2009

KingdomBound 2009 - Final Day

We were up at 8:30 am and it was time for round two of bacon and eggs. Alex FINALLY did some work around here after we made him do some dishes…. : )

It was then off to the store to get a t-shirt for Shawn and into the park to do some more rollercoaster rides. We did the Moto coaster (I saw Silene in line from Living Hope), and then we went to Superman. After that ride was over we saw Dave and Trish and her boys….Those chance encounters happen every year here.

Chris then challenged me to go on the Predator (wooden coaster) and I agreed. It reminded me again why I don’t like that coaster…..a real kidney puncher that one. I’m good for another 6 years now.

I left the boys and headed back to the campsite to see if things have dried out now, and to finish this blog entry. At 4:30 it’s time for a great supper and then off to the Compassion tent for Natalie Grant, Phil Joel, and then the most famous Newsboys. I’ll let you know how things go later. Talk to you then……………………….

So, I’m sitting at our camp site, with the amber glow of my outside trailer light helping me to see the computer keyboard. My ears are ringing from the Newsboys concert, and the boys are all excited about it; trying to unwind.

After I left you this afternoon, I decided to go buy a KB t-shirt, and then I took a much needed nap. At 4:30 pm we gathered together to consume a GREAT meal of pork chops and chicken, complete with potatoes and vegetables. Mary-Jane, your great food was FINALLY consumed by all of us. : ) Thanks.

After the dishes were completed, the boys headed off to the Compassion Concert stage to get a good seat for the Newsboys Concert. I arrived a while later and found a seat beside them. Natalie Grant was on deck first. She was very good. Then Phil Joel, former guitarist of the Newsboys, came out and sang and spoke. I missed most of that, as I tried to call home. Not too many pay phones any more.

I returned to wait for 30 minutes, and then it began….the NEWSBOYS. The place was packed and the crowd erupted as the Newsboys came on stage. It was once again an amazing concert. They have a new singer now, so that took a bit of getting used to, but otherwise they were true to form. Exciting, energizing, and bringing a great gospel message.

We were sitting in the middle - middle of the audience. That proved good because the Newsboys ended up singing from another stage, which was right beside us. The boys were VERY excited about that. I think Chris too 300 pictures.

The concert ended with the usual chant for one more song, but it was a DC talk song, not a Newsboys song this time. That seemed appropriate, seeing that the new lead singer is the former lead singer of DC Talk.

Then, it was over………

The boys are now acting quite goofy in the trailer. Working off all that excitement energy. We get up at 8 am and begin the process of packing up and heading home. Once again it was a GREAT experience here at KB2009. If you haven’t gone, you should give it a try some year. In two years we will be going again…….maybe you want to come along????????

Below are some pics from the day…..enjoy.

Scary. These two cousins could be siamese twins.

Here's a rare site. Michael doing WORK!

After 3 days of living together, these boys sure do make a mess!

Here's Zacks cloth filing system....put it in a pile and hope it doesn't walk away on me.

It's hard to see where the cloths end and the sleeping back begings.

Another GREAT morning and more bacon and eggs.

The motocoaster.

A shot of me on the Superman. I could ride that ride all day long.

Chris on another smaller ride.

More of the boys on this swing ride. Gives me the creeps just looking at the picture.

Once in a while rides get stuck on the uphill climb. There the Predator is stuck...and it was stuck for a while. Sometimes people have to climb out of the ride and be led down the "hill". A risk you take when you ride the coasters.

More BMX tricks.

The boys saw this man with a basketball and a stick, and Chris tried out balancing the ball on the stick. Not bad!

Getting settled in for the Newsboys Concert. I think it was 6:30 pm when I took this picture. The concert didn't start until 9:30 pm.

Natlie Grant sings.

Phil Joel, ex Newsboys, talks and sings.

The artist is back. He was good.

The end result.

You can tell Kyle was going a bit crazy. He just wanted the Newsboys to START playing....checking his watch every 5 minutes. : )

Finally, the Newsboys hit the stage. They were LOUD, and amazing.

The new lead singer....

Up close and personal on the "other" stage.

Praising God through song.

The former lead singer came out for one song, and to say good-bye.

Well, this brings us to the end of another KB event. It's sad to see it end, but it will be good to be home again too. Before I leave you, I leave you with a final thought. As we leave KB09, and I think about all the roller coaster rides we’ve been on, I find myself thinking that roller coasters are a lot like our relationship with God. We see the coaster and for some, a knot forms in our gut because we want to go on the ride, but we also are a bit afraid. For others, the thought of what is about to come simply gets them excited. Then we get in line and watch others on the ride having a great time. Screaming, laughing, some crying. Then we step into the seat of a car and are strapped in in one way or another, realizing that we have just relinquished control of our lives for the duration of the ride. Once it begins there’s no turning back. Once the uphill climb is complete and the car is released from the chain, we are at the mercy of the ride. The twists and turns cause us to feel exhilaration, fear, joy, and discomfort.

Trusting in God can be like that too. In order to have a relationship with Him, we must give up control of our lives so He can lead, not us. In doing so life takes twists and turns that we don’t always have control of, and they cause us joy, fear, sorrow, excitement and exhilaration. I like roller coasters, not only for the thrill of the ride, but for the reminder of what they mean for me in my walk with God.

No comments: