Wednesday, July 15, 2009

SERVE 09 - Wednesday - Dress Up Day

Wednesday is now completed. A lot of stuff happened today. I'll begin with the morning, and the challenge I laid before those who have been playing the practical jokes on me. Well, it seems that they got me, and I got them.....but more on that at the end. We began our day once again with breakfast. Pancakes were the order of the day today. Our head chef did a GREAT job with them. Before breakfast it was time for the crowd around the computer to check out the things that Pastor Ron was saying about everyone. It touches my heart to see them so interested.
Once again, the daily picture of Tamara. She looks pretty perky with that cup of coffee.
Alex just loves having pictures taken of himself. Always an interesting pose.
I traveled downstairs during breakfast to check out the condition of the rooms. They are getting pretty messy.
Amy, well, she packed enough for a month, not just a week. We'll be packing things up for a while on Thursday. I just don't know how it fits in the vans they take.
Before breakfast several people took the time to write warm fuzzies to other people. I've been receiving very little warm fuzzy mail this week...maybe it's because of all the comments I've been making. Thanks Hannah for giving me a warm fuzzy, only after I told you I wasn't getting any.
We did our work sites again today, but I'm skipping pictures today because you've seen the sites and there are other things to take pictures of today. Like this beautiful Mustang. Seems that a mission group staying at Redeemer was more interested in the car than we were, and the driver was a bit confused as to why he was at Redeemer.
But alas, we eventually showed up and 3 motorcycles and 2 Mustangs were used to give everyone rides. It was an exciting time for all.
Everyone had the choice of either a car ride, motorcycle ride, or both.
Many did both, and all had a GREAT time. Thank you very much to the motorcycle and car volunteers.
It looks like Shona REALLY enjoyed herself on the motorcycle. I haven't seen a happy face like that for a long time.
After the motorcycle rides it was time to pamper and get ready for our fancy dinner time. Amy is getting her hair done.
Here's a story for you. Apparently last night, several females decided to braid their hair with string. Sounded like a good idea at the time. Unfortunately, Rosalynn wanted that braid out for today, but it wouldn't come out. It took me 15 minutes and a pair of scissors to get that braid out. Next time, when you get that idea, don't follow through with it.
After the showers, I've always wondered how those with the really long hair get it dry. Apparently you just wrap it in a towel and squeeze like Melissa is doing here. You learn something new every day.
Taurie is getting preened (? spelling) here and actually enjoying it.
Sara just looked so lovely after the makeup...and her smile is infectious don't you think?
Hannah, well, she doesn't look like she's having that much fun with the curling iron. A little too warm.
After getting all dolled up, it was time for our trolley ride downtown and then back to Calvin CRC.
Hey Kevin, you clean up really well. : )
Everyone enjoying themselves on the trolley.
This is just a nice picture of Kevin and Melissa, don't you think?
Ah, our tradition which we started just last year. Evert, Rey, and myself get all dressed up and have our picture taken. Hey, we don't do this very often, so it must be a special occasion. I call ourselves "The Three Amigos".
And yes, even Evert and Rey can do silly things when prompted to.
Another nice picture of Joanna and Annette.
Our group photo. Doesn't everyone look awesome...!
After the trolley ride, and arriving back at church, it was time for our fancy smancy dinner.
We were serenaded by Harold with guitar and harmonica. Everyone seemed to really enjoy this.
No thanks Evert. I'll pass on the carrots right now.... I'm busy taking pictures, but thanks anyway.
My family came for dinner tonight. It seems that Katrina really found the stuffing fascinating.
The meal was awesome, but the dessert was even better.
After dinner we were treated to some line dancing. Everyone had a GREAT time.
Here they group is boogying down to some hip song.
It seems that the boys, including my son, didn't get the dance moves.
Jodi really got into the dancing. Apparently she now likes to dance while brushing her teeth......hey, it's what I heard.
The macarena dance .......
After the line dancing (thanks Jenny and friend for doing that) it was back into the sanctuary and time for praise and Shellie. As usual, Tyler was up with his guitar.
The praise team has done a fabulous job of helping us lift our hearts up to the Lord.
Shellie once again shared with us how to better get to know God. I am amazed at her gifts and talents in using illustrations to get points across. They always strike me in ways I wouldn't have imagined. Don't stop using this gift God has given you Shellie.
At the end of our time Shellie had us place post it notes with our sins on the cross with nails.
It was touching to watch.... a holy moment.
Here is the end result of the excercise.
After chapel time, it was small group time again.
Carrisa and Charlotte spend time going over the heart craft.
So do Tyler and Ethan.
These three seemed inseperable during the week.
And this brings me to one of the highlights of my day. Remember how I ended my blog yesterday. Telling my practical jokers to get on with it and show their stuff by doing something. Well, I also had a plan for the evening to get back at them. I knew something was going to be done to my office door and that it would involve trying to lock me in. So, how does one prevent that from happening? Well, you decide not to stay in your room for the night, and move. That's what I did.
In the weeee hours of the morning I heard the pitter patter of feet where I was now sleeping, but was too tired to get up and video them in the act. Instead I got up in the morning and showed myself in the fellowship hall with my camera. I proceeded to walk to my office door and take pictures and you see what they did to my door.
Plastic wrap and bricks, with a note posted reversed so I would see it when I woke up inside my room.......but, oh....I WASN'T IN MY ROOM. Gotcha. You should have seen the faces of those that did this to me, or so they thought. Yes, I know who you are, but I'm not telling. I want you to come forward and declare yourself. You may have the ability to get me, but I have the ability to outfox you, and you'd be better off letting me know who you are sooner than later.
I know that they have conspired for one last prank, but it's now 3:30 am (they drew straws and someone is supposed to get up at 3 am to get me), but nothing has happened yet......unless they got me where I was sleeping last night, but I'm not there to be gotten. So, we'll see who gets who this morning.
I love it when the hunter is outfoxed by the hunted....don't you?
I'll end on a more serious note. Our chapel time seemed a bit more emotional than other times. Many participants were crying, as were some of our mentors. We spent some time in our mentor meeting debriefing about that, and it was wonderful to see the mentors come to realize that our participants are like ourselves in many ways. We all have emotions within us, and we want to express them, but for some it's harder than for others. A great observation that will hopefully stick for years to come. I once again want to say how much I respect our volunteer mentors and kitchen crew and planning team. You show a maturity that I wish the church as a whole had day in and day out. Some of you are giving up vacation time to be here. Truly humbling. Thanks for showing me the body of Christ in very real and tangible ways. Your work does not go unnoticed by our God.
I'll be off to bed now for a brief 4 hour snooze, and then it's our final day together. Time certainly has flown. I hope you have enjoyed reading the blog. I'll have an entry tomorrow and then a follow up entry in a couple of days....so stay tuned all..... Oh, and if you find some spelling mistakes, well, cut me some slack....I'm seeing two screens right now : )

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Always a pleasure to read a blog. You did an awesome job on it once again last night. NO "i thinks".

HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL NEXT YEAR!!!